Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greatings, I am new to the high performance laptop scene, I've had multiple gaming towers previously which I ran with OCed GPU, however I'm unsure how to proceed for laptops.

I have the new Alienware 18 with the factory OCed i7-4910MQ to 4.5ghz (4.45 shown) with the dual 970M.

Running 3dmarks I'm scoring around 15600-15750 with gpu temps maxing @ 65deg.

I would like to bring my GPU performance closer to the 980s, while keeping my temps in the mid 70s. I do not want to play around with the bios timings, voltages and such, I'm just looking for a mild 10-15% OC.

Has any OC'ed their 970s in this model, if so whats the most recommended OC tool, is it still MSI afterburner for laptops? How much extra power should I give it before starting to bump up core and memory speeds, if any.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I dont have the Alienware 18, but I do have the Blade 14 (2015) with a single 970M inside it. Currently I use MSI Afterburner and I've messed with the core a little bit (maybe like 10-15Mhz) but with the form factor of this laptop both the GPU and CPU heat up semi quickly and stay decently warm so I dont bother because honestly I get decent FPS in games just fine. But as I said on what tool to use, I'd say Afterburner, sorry I cant help on how much to actually push the PU's but id suggest just doing it like any other card, push it slowly until its either too hot or starts to artifact, takes time but its the best way to get the most out of your GPU.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
You should be able to overclock the 970ms quite easily with your choice of overclock software.

MSi Afterburner is a popular choice, I personally use it just for the OSD. I use Sapphire TRIXX, just seems to play well with my system.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

The only setting I'm unsure of is the power setting, on my tower I would just max out the power knowing my PS was more than strong enough and then start upping the clocks, however on a laptop I'm unsure what to start it at.

The 980m SLI take 200W while the 970M SLI take 150W, pretty sure its a safe bet to say that both itterations of the Alienware 18 use the same power supply, so a 30% power oc seems like a logical place to start playing with speeds afterwards, or do I just leave the power at the base setting?

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall160 View Post

Thanks for the reply!

The only setting I'm unsure of is the power setting, on my tower I would just max out the power knowing my PS was more than strong enough and then start upping the clocks, however on a laptop I'm unsure what to start it at.

The 980m SLI take 200W while the 970M SLI take 150W, pretty sure its a safe bet to say that both itterations of the Alienware 18 use the same power supply, so a 30% power oc seems like a logical place to start playing with speeds afterwards, or do I just leave the power at the base setting?
Hey buddy, I had the Alienware 15 R2 for a few weeks which had a 970m in it. I am a very avid overclocker and have built over 500+ pc's in my day and overclocked almost 90% of them. As far as overclocking your 970m in that laptop, I would use Nvidia Inspector if I were you. It will work the best and give you the most stable overclock for sure. MSI afterburner is my favorite software to use on my desktops no doubt!! Not for laptops tho, it's not even close to working as good IMO. With Nvidia Inspector you will be able to add +25mv of extra voltage which can help those 970m's a lot compared to MSI, Evga precision, Asus Gpu Tweak, and so on. YES, use the +25mv when you want to overclock because it will help you have a STABLE overclock over the others. +25mv is very little and will not do any harm at all, even after years of use. Then you can go up to +135mhz on the core with the stock vBios. That will be plenty with having 2 gpu's. On the memory side of things, most 970m's can do+400mhz on the memory with out problem. A lot will go to +500mhz. The last 3 laptops I have had and still have my MSI GT72 now, all have been able to get +500mhz and never see any artifacts at all. That's just where I stop and like to run for gaming. I have gone up to +600mhz max and still have seen no issues, but not everyone has been able to do that.

Try this, but work up to it slowly and test with games and benchmarks.

Core = +135mhz
Mem = +400mhz, then +450mhz, then +500mhz and stop there, be happy with that and don't push to kill the gpu
Voltage = +25mv . Use this for sure when overclocking them.

Now here's a tip, when you open up Nvidia Inspector, it needs about 10sec to let it start working. If you apply a change right away, a few seconds later you will see it reset the setting you just applied. After it does that, then apply the settings you want to try and it will take it and work with no problems at all. Once I set my overclock settings, I just minimize the program and don't close it out. It won't hurt anything by leaving it open and minimizing it. I'm sure this will work the best for you as it's done on all 3 of my gaming laptops I have tried in the past 3 months.

I started with the Alienware 15 R2, but had issues with it losing the 2nd hard drive and then all my games were not there. Had to return it. Then I went to the Asus G752VT but that didn't support NVMe SSD's correct and the bios was locked in RAID mode. I had to return that one too because I was not happy with it. Now I have the MSI GT72 Dominator and it is working PERFECTLY and so much better in so many ways. I have not had any issues with this one and love every option it has. It has the nice custom lighting that the Alienware had which is why I wanted that one. It has Cool Boost 3 technology that I have a button on the side of the keyboard that put the fans at 100% when I want and my temps are insanely low. It also has a 6820K cpu that overclocks as high as I want to set it as long as I'm stable, but I like to run at 4ghz safely and nice and cool. I'm very happy with what I have now and don't need to look else where anymore, but if that one you have is what you want, that's great and you just need to run it where it makes you happy.

Try Nvidia Inspector and see how that goes for you. It should give you the performance you want, and do it with the least problems. Hope this helps you bud
thumb.gif

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for extensive response, I will go ahead and try out Inspector, hopefully it will push me above 16000 in 3dmarks
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall160 View Post

Thanks for extensive response, I will go ahead and try out Inspector, hopefully it will push me above 16000 in 3dmarks
smile.gif
No problem buddy!! I'm here to help anytime I can
thumb.gif

Just to give you an idea, in Firestrike I scored around 6400 with stock clocks on the 970m, but that is the combined score and not just the gpu score. When I overclocked it to +135 core and +600 mem, I got around 7960 or so. Just shy of 8000. That was on the Alienware with the 6700HQ. Now on my MSI with the 6820K running at 4ghz, my combine score should be even higher since the physx will go up. Good luck with your goal of getting 16000
biggrin.gif
.. Hopefully with the nice overclock on both 970m's you can get there.. Post a screen shot of the score you get after you overclock it and let us know. I always like seeing how things improve after overclocking successfully
thumb.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts