Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: I bought one, First impressions and insane contrast trick!

Both G-Sync and Freesync available:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-25-gaming-monitor-aw2518h/apd/210-amsr/monitors-monitor-accessories

Anyone have one or know of any reviews? I wonder if they actually added any menu options, or if the menus are as bare bones as their Dell branded 24" and 27" gaming monitors.

The FreeSync version has been frequently going on sale for around $350. This is the cheapest I've seen a 240hz display before.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi. I had this monitor for a few days. Do you notice pixel inversion artifacts with G-Sync both enabled and disabled!? What's the revision number for the monitor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnvc View Post

Hi. I had this monitor for a few days. Do you notice pixel inversion artifacts with G-Sync both enabled and disabled!? What's the revision number for the monitor?

Thanks.
I can't notice it at all in normal use. If I do the tests from lagom, I can see the flicker in the boxes when scrolling up/down faintly on the top test. It's the same with G-Sync on and off. On the bottom test, I cannot see any pixel inversion at all and no flickering.

I have an A01.

I also get identical results on my S24 165hz panel on the test site.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
This and the AOC are the only two 240hz monitors i could actually consider as they are both able to get down below 100 nits whereas the Acer and Asus dont. I calibrate to 80 nits, anything higher is too much for my environment. With how well Dell did on the S2417DG i'd expect no less from them with this monitor, but i'm still skeptical about it being leaps and bounds better than the S24. I tried the Acer already and no doubt it was better but not to the level where i would call it significant and going to 1080p from 1440p didn't feel like a worthy tradeoff at all.

I'm happy to know that this monitor does conform to BT.1886, so Dell is doing right on that part, though shame they left out gamma controls again for those who do want to calibrate to power law 2.2 etc.

I read tomshardware review and there was just one thing in particular that irked me, the contrast clipping white highlights and needing to be lowered to correct the error. They say dropping contrast to 65 fixes the monitor up but skews the gamma so they settled for 69 as a compromise but whites still have the blue tint with a large >5 deltaE.

You don't happen to have a colorimeter on hand to test the monitor with contrast at 65 instead of 69? I'd like to see just how much the gamma does get skewed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

This and the AOC are the only two 240hz monitors i could actually consider as they are both able to get down below 100 nits whereas the Acer and Asus dont. I calibrate to 80 nits, anything higher is too much for my environment. With how well Dell did on the S2417DG i'd expect no less from them with this monitor, but i'm still skeptical about it being leaps and bounds better than the S24. I tried the Acer already and no doubt it was better but not to the level where i would call it significant and going to 1080p from 1440p didn't feel like a worthy tradeoff at all.

I'm happy to know that this monitor does conform to BT.1886, so Dell is doing right on that part, though shame they left out gamma controls again for those who do want to calibrate to power law 2.2 etc.

I read tomshardware review and there was just one thing in particular that irked me, the contrast clipping white highlights and needing to be lowered to correct the error. They say dropping contrast to 65 fixes the monitor up but skews the gamma so they settled for 69 as a compromise but whites still have the blue tint with a large >5 deltaE.

You don't happen to have a colorimeter on hand to test the monitor with contrast at 65 instead of 69? I'd like to see just how much the gamma does get skewed.
Unfortunately, I don't have a calibration tool.

And I'd stay away from the AOC, unless they've fixed the horrid pixel overdrive (source):

And for me, this is quite far ahead of the S24. I might give my detailed impression of it later on. But right out of the box, the Alienware beats it on colors, gamma, and much better gradients and that is with zero tweaking (no icc profile or nvidia color tweaks). The S24 needs a lot of help out of the box.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene-z View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have a calibration tool.

And I'd stay away from the AOC, unless they've fixed the horrid pixel overdrive (source):

And for me, this is quite far ahead of the S24. I might give my detailed impression of it later on. But right out of the box, the Alienware beats it on colors, gamma, and much better gradients and that is with zero tweaking (no icc profile or nvidia color tweaks). The S24 needs a lot of help out of the box.
I wouldn't consider the AOC unless i had AMD so i may have phrased it poorly when i said it and the alienware are the only ones i'd be looking at now. I recall seeing something about the AOC being blurry too. Shame as its $300 at my microcenter, good deal for a 240hz monitor regardless if you cared or didn't care for the VRR.

I agree that the S24 needs tweaks out of the box to become optimal but most any non professional display does these days and with a colorimeter of my own its not an issue. So have you left it at default then since you've gotten it minus adjusting the brightness? How do you feel when you drop the contrast to 65 which according to tomshardware is what will eliminate white highlight clipping.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I wouldn't consider the AOC unless i had AMD so i may have phrased it poorly when i said it and the alienware are the only ones i'd be looking at now. I recall seeing something about the AOC being blurry too. Shame as its $300 at my microcenter, good deal for a 240hz monitor regardless if you cared or didn't care for the VRR.

I agree that the S24 needs tweaks out of the box to become optimal but most any non professional display does these days and with a colorimeter of my own its not an issue. So have you left it at default then since you've gotten it minus adjusting the brightness? How do you feel when you drop the contrast to 65 which according to tomshardware is what will eliminate white highlight clipping.
I honestly haven't touched anything, I was really happy with it right out of the box. I just turned down the brightness at night down to around 10 because of low lighting in my room. As for testing the contrast to 65, the whites do look much natural at 65. I don't know how to describe it perfectly, but at 75 they look a bit blown out or the like it's over exposed when comparing back and forth. Not sure if that what clipping is, but that is the impression I get. I wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't tell me.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I was about ready to order it when it was $450 @ bestbuy but now its back up to $600 lol. I guess i'll wait and if im still curious i'll give it a look. Hopefully Microcenter gets it in as i much prefer dealing with them as exchanges and returns are really easy plus they tend to keep things on sale indefinitely and only 3.5% tax.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so here are my impressions after using it and comparing to my S24 over the weekend.

+ The contrast trick I discovered on the s24 works to hide ghosting on super fast pixel overdrive! You don't even have to go down to 0 on the contrast, I can go to 20% contrast and it's a huge difference, and it looks extremely playable in regards to colors/brightness. Holy sh** this is blowing my mind how smooth and clean it looks in motion. If you get this monitor, turn it to 240hz, put black stabilizer to 3, make sure g-sync is enabled and use blur busters vrr v-sync low input guide, set super fast pixel response, put contrast at 20% and brightness to 70% or higher and be prepared to be amazed. This might work for every 240hz panel, considering they all use the same panel. The only thing is, the russian review stated the Alienware had better overdrive and overclocked overdrive compared to the other 240hz they reviewed, so it might not look as clean.

+ The monitor stand is extremely solid, easily the best monitor stand I've ever used. Zero wobble when using the OSD. Also, when I bump my desk, the S24 wobbles, but not the AW25. It's also the heaviest stand I've felt. It has to be like 6 or 7lbs by itself. It also rotates very easy left to right and portrait to landscape with zero effort.. The up/down is a bit stiff, but still smoother than the S24. It also looked really ugly to me in the pictures, but it looks really good in person.

+ Colors, gradients, and gamma are all better on the 240hz panel than my S24. The colors have a deeper look to them and really pop if you turn up the brightness. It beats the S24 out of the box with no tweaking in every area listed at the beginning of this point. No nvidia cp tweaks or icc profiles were loaded. Even with the S24 tweaked, the AW25 beats it untweaked.

+ Low power consumption. Uses 25watts on 240hz and 50% brightness. 1 watt more than the s24 @ 165hz and 50% brightness. Measured with a killawatt.

+ Blazing fast when turning on/off. The S24 was already fast, but this monitor beats it by a hair. You have to turn off the power saving feature though or sometimes it delays a bit when turning on/off.

+ OSD has some features like black stabilizer where it makes dark areas lighter. It also has a frame rate counter that will show your fps in any-game. The FPS counter is really huge and ugly though, I would never use it. There are also options for the LED's on the back of the monitor. And lastly it has a countdown timer, I have no idea what you would use this for, maybe if you're bad with over-gaming to setup a timed period? There are also some other weird stuff, like image alignment in the gaming section features. There are also a lot of color profiles including a custom one.

+ Motion is clearly more clean. Far less smearing in camera pans, flicks shots, or fast re-adjustments. I will admit though, if you're not moving your mouse around at medium-fast speed, it's really not worth it. For instance, single player games were ai/bots are usually pretty static and predictable, this monitor would be a waste of money in my eyes. The biggest difference I saw with this monitor, was competitive games like Overwatch and Rocket League.
  • In Overwatch, when you have those huge battles on the payload in overtime trying to cap a point and everyone is within melee range fighting. It makes the player models a lot bigger being up close, so it turn you get bigger smearing trails. With the 240hz, it's a breeze to track in these scenarios, where the 165hz I just see smear marks until my aim settles. I will try to explain, on 165hz in the scenario I describe, I swipe and see smearing, when swipe ends or smearing ends, I can see target clearly and lock and shoot. On 240hz, when I swipe, I can see targets and lock and shoot without the small downtime of waiting for smearing to end to lock a clear target. On long distance fights, the advantage of this monitor isn't as big of a leap. You can still see the difference, it's just harder to notice, as you're really not making huge or fast swipes tracking targets at long distance. You're going to really see the benefit at medium/close range, like payload fights, tracer flanking you, etc.
  • In Rocket League, you see a big difference all the time, as the camera is constantly panning at a medium-fast pace. Going back to 165hz, it's clear as day the 240hz is a big advantage in clarity, especially when you're using Turbo and making turns, which is 90% of the gameplay.
+ 144hz blur reduction is very nice. It's the best blur reduction I've used (I've tried S24 and BenQ XL2411 both 120hz blur reduction).

+ Pixel overdrive is very good. Normal is pixel perfect like the S24. There are also Fast and Superfast, which are also good, but as you should expect, have ghosting, the latter being darker. I can use Fast with no problems and without noticing it much at all. Superfast it's hard not to notice the ghosting. I've been playing with Fast.

+ Menu buttons are much better than the S24, more surface area and better/easier click.

- The stand legs are awful. They extend out really far and take a lot of desk space. If you use a large mousepad, it will be a problem. The S24 stand fits the 240hz panel, so it you could probably buy a similar stand on ebay for like $20 if it bothers you.

- Backlight and uniformity is worse than my S24. I was expecting this, but what I got worse. That image is from the russian review site of 240hz alienware monitor. If I could get one similar to the image shown in the russian image, I'd be much happier, as he's clearly running it at a high brightness and it's far less noticeable at lower brightness. It also has a blue glow on the edgers, but I can't notice it at all, even with black taskbar. Keep in mind, I exchanged the S24 as my first one I wasn't happy with either. Edit: Got a replacement and it's much better.

- Coating has a sparkle to it if you look look up close and move your head back and forth. I can't see it at arms length. The S24 does not have this. The coating is also equal to the s24 in terms of not being too aggressive.

- Image not very sharp compared to the S24. I think this should be expected though for 1080p on 24.5". I wish they made these in 23.8" @ 1080p.

- My blb and uniformity slightly affect dark games at times and is can be distracting when I do notice it, even at low brightness. In bright games I don't notice it. Edit: No longer an issue with replacement.

- The LEDs on the back suck. They're really weak and the colors are static that don't reflect colors on screen. You can barely see them in a dark room reflecting off a wall, let alone during the day you can't see them at all.

Am I going to keep it? If I can get exchange and get a panel with better BLB and uniformity, yes. The other issues don't bother me, but I list them to help others make their own decision. It's definitely not worth $500, though. I recommend grabbing it on sale for $430, getting the $54 dell gift card cashback and selling it for $40, and getting the 7% cashback from mr.rebates or ebates (check which has higher % and I believe ebats has a $10 sign-up bonus,).

In the end, you'll end up paying about $350-$360 for the gsync version or even cheaper for freesync. I used the same method to get the S24 for $306 when it was constantly going for $400+. At the time when I got the S24, they were giving 12% cashback + $10 signup bonus on ebates and they paid it out a month later to my paypal like $54 for the S24. I was really skeptical, but they actually paid me. You essentially give them a referral and they give you some of it.

If you guys have any questions about rebates, the monitor, etc - just leave a reply.

·
Registered
209 Posts
more tinkering led to semi acceptable sweet-spot, still sending it back.

Bottom of panel light bleed was also noticably more present than the sides and top for those interested in QC.

The base is absolutely idiotic in design unless you have a wireless mouse, mouse bungee, or like you monitor 5 ft away. Cable just grinds on it constantly.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotkyotkyot View Post

more tinkering led to semi acceptable sweet-spot, still sending it back.

Bottom of panel light bleed was also noticably more present than the sides and top for those interested in QC.

The base is absolutely idiotic in design unless you have a wireless mouse, mouse bungee, or like you monitor 5 ft away. Cable just grinds on it constantly.
Yeah idk what Dell does with the bottom bezel but i have a blue glow across the bottom of my S2417DG as well, im at 80 nits tho so its never really a bothersome issue in normal use. Really just want an OLED monitor already, damn the LCD milking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:

It also has a blue glow on the edgers,
Thanks for the review! Would you prefer this dell over the asus pg258q? And if so, why. And does the asus also have the blue border issue? My dell has the blue border issue and it. is. a. deal breaker. Was hoping this was a one-off thing and not something all the screens have.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggle View Post

Thanks for the review! Would you prefer this dell over the asus pg258q? And if so, why. And does the asus also have the blue border issue? My dell has the blue border issue and it. is. a. deal breaker. Was hoping this was a one-off thing and not something all the screens have.
I've never tried the Asus. The reason why I choose the Dell over the other brands, is that reviews said it was better. The tomshardware review says it has lower input lag, and this russian review says it had better overdrive and advantage in a few different areas.

URGA compliance:
Quote:
The monitor has received the UGRA certificate of compliance and passed in all parameters, as suitable for working with color in various areas within the standard color coverage (read - sRGB), which we, incidentally, could not achieve from ASUS PG258Q even after two additional calibrations. Is it important for the gaming TN + Film model? No, but still nice, agree.
On overdrive:
Quote:
The monitor is the fastest - it's a fact, and it shows the best results at the factory settings of panel overclocking. Overclocking the matrix is slightly better than the solution from ASUS, artifacts are missing as a class. The Fast and Ultra Fast modes make moving objects clearer, but the resulting artifacts make them abandon their use.
On backlight bleed:
Quote:
And the main one is the blue stripes on the matrix office. The same thing we saw on the ASUS PG258Q and BenQ Zowie XL2540. Accordingly, the price is an indicator of quality, and this defect will not save you even a sample of 10-20 copies - do not waste your and other people's time and nerves.
On color coverage:
Quote:
The initial check was carried out at the factory settings of the display. The screenshots show that the monitor is slightly different from the standard sRGB - the main display in this segment. It also becomes clear that the quality of the setting for the review's unit is better than on the already studied models from ASUS and BenQ, or in the novelty from Alienware, a more successful revision of the matrix from AUO.
CONTRAST STABILITY AND RANGE OF BRIGHTNESS VARIATION:
Quote:
The operating range is configured in a more optimal way than in the ASUS solution, because when working with Alienware, the user will not have problems with the minimum brightness value.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:

I've never tried the Asus. The reason why I choose the Dell over the other brands, is that reviews said it was better. The tomshardware review says it has lower input lag, and this russian review says it had better overdrive and advantage in a few different areas.
Hey thanks for the update!

I have another question. Do you have access to a mouse with 2000hz (or higher) polling rate? If so, can you tell any difference between 1000hz and 2000hz on the 240hz monitor?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:

I have another question. Do you have access to a mouse with 2000hz (or higher) polling rate? If so, can you tell any difference between 1000hz and 2000hz on the 240hz monitor?
I have a deathadder chroma at 500hz because according to testing its a far more consistent mouse at 500hz than it is when set to 1000hz. 500hz means an update every 2ms, the monitor updates at over 4ms, i really dont think 1000hz will be a world of difference, even from 500hz provided it works well, let alone 1000hz vs 2000hz.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There's definitely a noticeable improvement with 1000Hz polling rate at 144Hz G-Sync. I certainly wouldn't want to revert back to a 500Hz max mouse.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

No, unfortunately I don't. I have a bunch of 1k polling mice, but that's about it. Maybe if a shape comes out with 2k polling I might grab one, but I have no desire to overclock my mouse.

But, I can almost guarntee I could feel and see a difference. I'm one of those crazy people that can see tiny differences in things like 144hz vs 165hz, whereas most people say they can't see or feel a difference.

I would imagine 240hz with 2k polling would help reduce some of the microstuttering seen here with 1k polling.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts