Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am overclocking my alienware m17x laptop just a little bit. I'm working with the GPU now and have it set to:

650 core
1595 shader (linked)
1135 memory

I'm reaching temps of 95C when running Kumbustoer. Any idea what I shoud adjust to bring temp down? I can't adjust my fan unfortunately....

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Overclocking laptops is generally not recommended, and you're getting pretty high on those temps and obviously with the poor cooling and the fact that laptops already get pretty hot i wouldn't push so hard there

You can try one of those laptop coolers, although i doubt they would make such a difference.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what should I lower? my core? This laptop actually has decent cooling... but I definitely don't want to push it too much.

Will ocing the CPU instead help my fPS in Battlefield 2? I have to run this on 1280x720 at medium settings with Vsync and HBAO off just to keep the games FPS above 30...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I really want to OC this because it is slow playing BFBC2...but I almost wonder if oc'ing the cpu will gain me more FPS. The laptop comes with the ability to OC in the bios...but I have no idea how to do it correctly.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pancing View Post
Just lower the resolution and lower the graphics on bfbc2
thats the best you can do if you want to get playable fps on multiplayer (60+)
yea, I just hate to do that because it is such a pretty game when everything is running on high with native resolution....which I thought I would be able to do with this laptop considering its a $2500 machine....but guess not

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAKATTACK View Post
I'm reaching temps of 95C when running Kumbustoer. Any idea what I shoud adjust to bring temp down?
Yeah, stop running Furmark type tests. Instant lower temperatures!

On a more serious note... I have a Clevo M980NU with two GTX 280M. Just propping the back of the notebook up an inch off the table results in clearly lower temperatures. I'm not using any special "notebook cooler." I cut off a small section of 1½" aluminum angle from a spare piece I had laying around and that does the trick.

I've measured a solid 5ºC lower temperatures just from propping it up. I've used folded cardboard, my eye glass case, whatever is handy to prop up the back. Basically the fans have about a quarter inch of air gap between the vent and the desktop to try sucking in air. Free that up for some instant improvement.

You'll also want to keep the fan, heatsink and vents dust free because any little bit helps. Dell has online service manuals to assist in taking stuff apart. You don't need to take anything out of the notebook, just taking off the panels so you can see the stuff should be fine. Alternately, just squirt compressed air through the vents on occasion to blow off the accumulated dust.

Here are some quick pics of my homebrew notebook cooler/prop.

BEFORE. Note how little room the fans have to suck in air.

This little piece of aluminum is what I used. It is 1½" angle aluminum with 1/16" thickness and about a foot long.

Here's the bottom of the notebook. Note the three fans (two GPUs, one CPU). The red line I drew on the image is where the aluminum sits. So far it has not blemished the notebook in any way. The two rear feet keeps it from sliding out. It is quite sturdy in this position.

Here's the finished "product" in action.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since your temp reaches 95c I would not push it any more. However if you buy or make a really good laptop cooler and can get the temps around 80ish you might be able to do a litle OC on the CPU, might make the game run a slight bit smoother, but as basically everyone says... temperature is the limiting factor for overclokcing a laptop. Personally I am working on a portable water cooler for my laptop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts