Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the catalyst 6.1 drivers, installed ATI Tool 0.24 and overclockd the core from 378 to 435ish and the memory from 338 to 350ish.

I then tested the settings in HL2 CS:S and performace was dramatically improved, ( FPS with high settings 70 - 125 FPS ) however, after running it for a while, I got random computer shutdowns, VPU recovery, etc.

I then reverted back to the default core / memory, and now my card runs hot all the time, and I still get computer shutdowns, VPU recovery, etc.

Did I screw my card permanantly for 3D use? I can still use my computer for general use but, that's still not acceptable.

Any hints, tips, oppinions, and facts would be much appreciated. At this point I just want my graphics card running fine at default values.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need the following answers:
How old is your videocard?
How long have you been using your overclocked settings?
What are your Celcius temperatures while gaming? (full load, avg, max, min, more information the better =D)

Hmm, very interesting indeed..
Computer shutdowns may be caused by overheating of the CPU also?..but it must be really hot.. Try answering the following questions above thus I can help you out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The VPU is about 1 year old. I overclocked the VPU yesterday.

I recently OC'd my xp2500 barton to an xp3200, with the vcore set to 1.75v, using arctic silver grease, and a coolmaster copper heatsink fan that spins at 7200rpm. The computer is stable with the chip OC'd to what it is, temperature idles around 45c and tops at 48-50c running multiple programs while running HL2. I heard the arctic silver takes about 1 week to setup before you see a dramatic temperature decrease however I'm not sure.

What I do know is this.

Multitasking ie. surfing the net, running multiple programs on desktop the card issues me no problems, but doing that while running a demanding 3D game makes the computer crash, issues VPU recovery notices, display driver errors. Also when I am scanning for artifacts using ATI Tool does the same thing, even at default core/memory values.

The card overall generally runs quite a bit hotter than before I OC'd the core/memory, and now that the core/memory values are now again at default, the card still can't withstand 15 minutes of CS:S, where before I OC'd the core/memory values, I could play for 6 hours straight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very unique situation you have here.
From the information you've gave me, I infer that your video card may be damaged somehow and cannot function properly. On the other hand, maybe the application drivers fucntioning the card may cause the problem. Here are my suggestions.
>Reintall Catylyst drivers. download the latest drivers. Optional: Install drivers from CD from the box than install the latest drivers. (I use this technique for my system but totally optional. It does function a little better this way. With mine =D)

Ugh, those are my only suggestions for now. Please post again for I may help you again tomorrow. (Busy now =/)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I found a small piece which sticks up off the board of the card that also fits in between a + - , on the floor by my computer case.... It must have chipped off while I used a screwdriver to unlock the agp lock on the mainboard... **** me, this must be why the card is running much hotter than normal and why the card can't sustain 3D enviornments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.