Overclock.net banner

Do you think SOPA threads should be allowed until the 24th?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'm for SOPA and hate the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this bill passes it could very well end the internet, the very thing that OCN relies on. For a week can you not let us talk about it?

"rules" can be lifted for a week, yes? Or is this a dictatorship?
thumb.gif

·
Banned
897 Posts
It won't end the internet. It will end the use of any copyrighted material. Basically if you don't have the original creator permission to use it, it will be blocked. But SOPA and PIPA are political and OCN isn't about politics. Therefore this thread will be closed.

I'm against censorship but at the same time, there needs to be systems in place to protect content writers. And there needs to be a balance. It is human nature to want something for free or to steal. Some more than others but everyone has that itch that if I can get this for free I would get it.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglartoronto View Post

If this bill passes it could very well end the internet, the very thing that OCN relies on. For a week can you not let us talk about it?
thumb.gif
since you agreed to bide by the TOS when registering for this site, it is indeed a dictatorship. However, there is a thread going on at the moment discussing some SOPA related issues, I believe the blackout is the topic going on right now. It's managed to be a civil and logical and very non-political conversation to this point. Go check it out, and convince them to allow it to stay open by how you type up your posts in a rational/respectful manner
smile.gif

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

since you agreed to bide by the TOS when registering for this site, it is indeed a dictatorship. However, there is a thread going on at the moment discussing some SOPA related issues, I believe the blackout is the topic going on right now. It's managed to be a civil and logical and very non-political conversation to this point. Go check it out, and convince them to allow it to stay open by how you type up your posts in a rational/respectful manner
smile.gif
What thread might that be, and thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Of course this is a dictatorship. You agreed to abide by rules when you joined.

I am not interested in seeing hundreds of American's moaning about politics. SOPA inevitably ends in politics. If you want to do that, there are loads of forums out there.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
It would seem to me by the amount of limited topics that OCN would be a proponent of issues like SOPA/PIPA. I would suggest that, albeit ironic, this is not the forum for that.

I am disappointed too, but this is what we have. Now get back to overclocking
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty0610 View Post

It won't end the internet. It will end the use of any copyrighted material. Basically if you don't have the original creator permission to use it, it will be blocked. But SOPA and PIPA are political and OCN isn't about politics. Therefore this thread will be closed.
I'm against censorship but at the same time, there needs to be systems in place to protect content writers. And there needs to be a balance. It is human nature to want something for free or to steal. Some more than others but everyone has that itch that if I can get this for free I would get it.
Then the OPEN act is the way to do this. SOPA/PIPA will damage too many other things while not even getting rid of piracy or copyright 'infringers'. I wouldn't talk about not debating it while you just debated it. I on the other hand am for debate.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
It's pretty clear that OCN (or at least it's parent company) is for this bill, so I really doubt they'll allow it. Just post somewhere else instead of keep making new threads on here.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

I am not interested in seeing hundreds of American's moaning about politics. SOPA inevitably ends in politics. If you want to do that, there are loads of forums out there.
OCN is full of bright geniuses that have good points. I can't say that for many other websites.

I would rather discuss is here than WoW forums or steam forums.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:

OCN is full of bright geniuses that have good points. I can't say that for many other websites.
I would rather discuss is here than WoW forums or steam forums.
Doesn't matter. We're not a political forum, so take it elsewhere.

Whilst we have some smart members who can debate something maturely, we also have absolute idiots. Although, we could segment these people by looking at post count vs posts in Apple threads.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:

What thread might that be, and thanks for the reply.
hmm...i can't seem to find that thread, even though i just posted in it within the last five or 10 minutes. guess they deleted the whole damn thing, it's not in my profile nor can i find it under the "threads i've posted in" option either. Well, it was up for quite awhile, oh well i guess

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Doesn't matter. We're not a political forum, so take it elsewhere.
Whilst we have some smart members who can debate something maturely, we also have absolute idiots. Although, we could segment these people by looking at post count vs posts in Apple threads.
tongue.gif
Politics or not, its a shame that OCN's parent company supports this and SOPA falls under politics. I can understand voting for presidents isn't allowed, but trying to defend the very thing that we use to live out our lives on can't be discussed is silly. Not even for a few days will the let us? Oh well.

See you guys when the internet is broken

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post

Why would OCN's owners care about SOPA? Their in Canada
biggrin.gif

Really though. Keep politics off of OCN, it just makes people rage and fight all over the forum.
I would venture a guess to say that the majority of OCN traffic originates in the US, so if this were to go through their site traffic would take a MASSIVE hit, I daresay it would cripple it...

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
There has already been a thread asking about why SOPA/PIPA threads aren't allowed. That got to like 10-15 pages (with 10 posts per page) you can still see it as it hasn't been deleted, it has just been locked.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Quote:

Americans will be the reason you'll soon find a very vanilla OCN.....
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty0610 View Post

Human nature to steal?? I'm sorry what?

Can you even find any evidence of such a thing called "human nature" to begin with?

I don't think nonsense that rich armchair philosophers thought up in their spare time has any validity in the real world.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
This thread has been deemed in violation of SOPA

In would love to debate about it too, but the thread will be locked. It's bound to happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.