Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want to make my local server accessible by internet. How do I go about doing that? I'm running Ubuntu Server and I've already set up port forwarding, but it's not taking effect. Am I missing a step?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Not sure, but Linux usually has a firewall built in that you have to allow applications/ports through.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingDivs;13150406
Hey guys,

I want to make my local server accessible by internet. How do I go about doing that? I'm running Ubuntu Server and I've already set up port forwarding, but it's not taking effect. Am I missing a step?
You have to setup forwarding on your router. You probably have a cable modem with a dynamic IP address so you'll need to use a free dns service like DynDNS to perform the redirect.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You need to open the necessary ports in your firewall.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got it all done! Sorry to not update the thread.

Next question...how do you enable FTP access to the server? Specifically, two or three IPs and that's it.

I'm doing research on it, but NOTHING is coming close to what I want.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingDivs
View Post

I've got it all done! Sorry to not update the thread.

Next question...how do you enable FTP access to the server? Specifically, two or three IPs and that's it.

I'm doing research on it, but NOTHING is coming close to what I want.

If you are using vsftpd, for which the setup on a ubuntu machine is described very well here, you can use /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to limit access to specific ip addresses.

In hosts.deny add:
vsftpd : ALL

and in hosts.allow add:
vsftpd : ipaddress1, iaddress2, etc.

I believe that will work. You can also limit access with a user name/password.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts