Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is tons of threads with Steam IDs & links to your Steam so you can become friends and join up for some gaming.
Apparently having your Steam link in your signature is against the rules.

Is it possible to allow this? I don't see the harm in it.

We also been hinted its going to be added as a contact info for example skype and aim in the forum revision.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Adding it as contact info would be better.

I think external links in signatures is just asking for spam , self promotion, and affiliate marketing. Steam IDs do not have the same problem as other networking sites. There are just so many sites out there that it becomes hard to allow or disallow sites. It is just easier to ban all external links than keep a list of acceptable off site links.

If it is easy we will add a steam ID into the contact info.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
The signature rules are being revamped (most likely for the new forum) and as such, Chipp has already stated that their contents can be relaxed somewhat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

In regards to external links, I'll be honest - the 'unofficial' word there is that we'll turn a blind eye to external links that are not used for spamming, linking to things that are blatantly outside of our ToS, etc. It is a policy that we plan to revisit and craft into something more realistic in the future, but in the meantime, I would not worry about a moderator talking to you about links if you are linking to benchmark scores, wikipedia, hardware sites, etc (or in more broad terms, on-topic links).

I'd classify your steam profile link to be relevant to OCN but as SppokedJunglist has mentioned, off site links can be a bother. What I've seen most people do is just put their Steam name in their signature. That way people can add you if they would like but there is no link taking you away from OCN.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts