Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 750 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: I'll attempt to keep this 1st post factual and update it with info. The replies in the threads however tell a very sad story about the companies behind this product.

REPORTS ABOUT THE PROBLEM

Posting for awareness after my VPP755 in use for 7 days fell victim to the same type of noise as in the videos below. They are all from folks whose VPP755 pump got noisy after a while. It looked like a promising pump on paper, which was initially silent even at 3500 rpm in my case (with a Watercool Heatkiller D5 top).

Video reports:

  • (this is mine, note that it's sitting on a thick sponge, completely decoupled from the case; fan noise for comparison before switching on the pump; noise is the same regardless of the o-ring used).

Audio report from someone else:


More reports on Reddit:

  • https://www.reddit.com/r/5j8j8a/alphacool_vpp755_pump_has_developed_terrible/dbekq7p/ ).

    My RMA experience

    2017-02-26: RMA opened at Aqua Tuning.

    2017-03-06: RMA not going that great, see here. I was asked for video evidence (!).

    2017-03-10: More progress on my RMA here. I was allowed to send it back. They conditioned the refund on reproducing the fault.

    2017-03-18: Pump sent back to Germany. I pointed out that I opened this thread on OCN.

    2017-04-04: Full refund received, more here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
My VPP755 developed the same issue after some months now (still kinda silent on 1 though), however this has not been fixed with the V2...had some V2s here which made that noise straight out of the box.

On the RMA I was told, that this happened because I used three drops of Mayhems Biocide with distilled water...go figure, I suppose I'm ending the VPP755 experiment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a BS response from Alphacool. I'm using EKWB clear coolant and it's the Rev2 of VPP755, both purchased beginning of Feb.

Alphacool is changed their tune before when confronted with issues. They were confronted about their claim that this pump is compatible with all D5 tops. Reviewers (e.g. here and here) tried it with some D5 tops and found that some don't fit or they leak. Alphacool then adjusted their claim to say all "current" D5 tops. Still, some of the "current" D5 tops still don't fit or leak (see those two links) and Alphacool were confronted again. They then said they tested this pump only with D5 tops from Alphacool, Heatkiller and Aquacomputer. Officially, the claim is still that it's compatible with "all current D5 tops" (see screenshot from Alphacool website taken today), which is isn't true.

I'll see what they'll say in my RMA since I have used EKWB coolant and the Heatkiller D5 top (horizontal position etc, pretty much everything is by the book).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastabog View Post

It's very disappointing as it looked like such a promising pump, which was silent even at 3500 rpm in my case (mine has a Heatkillert D5 top and is sitting on a thick sponge). I liked the fact that it's using a full length ceramic rod (and not a small ceramic sphere like the D5 holding the whole propeller making it prone to wearing out the propeller's graphite, like here)
I have the exact same combo as you and my pump is about 2 weeks old, I am definitely going to keep an eye on it after reading this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller330i View Post

I have a version 1 that has not been used yet. What should I do? Thanks!
Depending on where you live, you should have a grace period (2 weeks?) to return products for a full refund, which is what I would do if I were you - check your country's distance selling regulations and/or the shop's return policy. If it's outside that grace period, then I guess you could test it and if it's noisy or otherwise faulty then you can open an RMA case under warranty with either the shop or Alphacool.

Note that the noise may not be audible at first ... in my case it took 7 days. Others reported noise after 1 day (like the guy in the video) while others after some months. YMMV. I guess it also depends on the rpm you run it at, ambient and coolant temp etc. I kept mine mostly at 2800 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
@ Toltol
There is a reason why you lose your warrenty at a lot of brands if you are using Mayhem liquid.

@mastabog
All "current" D5 tops. Laing changed the impeller of their pump in 2011, all tops from all brands had to change their tops. If you are using an old top with a new D5 you will always have problems with leaks and other things. Doesn`t matter if you are using a VPP755 or a brand new D5 from Laing/Loward.

@all
If you have some issues with with the VPP755 start an RMA. Until now, we got only 5 VPP755 pumps back, one had a problem with the knob and the other 4 was damaged by the customers. They put the impeller out.
We can`t retrace wich kind of problems you guys have, if we didn`t get the pumps back. We have to check them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

@ Toltol
There is a reason why you lose your warrenty at a lot of brands if you are using Mayhem liquid.

@mastabog
All "current" D5 tops. Laing changed the impeller of their pump in 2011, all tops from all brands had to change their tops. If you are using an old top with a new D5 you will always have problems with leaks and other things. Doesn`t matter if you are using a VPP755 or a brand new D5 from Laing/Loward.

@all
If you have some issues with with the VPP755 start an RMA. Until now, we got only 5 VPP755 pumps back, one had a problem with the knob and the other 4 was damaged by the customers. They put the impeller out.
We can`t retrace wich kind of problems you guys have, if we didn`t get the pumps back. We have to check them.
I noticed the warning on aquatunings site about mayhems and loss of warranty with certain brands. Can you tell me why this is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
I see. Thanks for explaining.
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
so lets say Mayhems X1 premix clear is best from them
1. Is X1 coloring acetal/plexi/pvc too ? or only if i add Mayhems Non Stain Dye ?
2. what replacement do you suggest to be equal to X1 please ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

@ Toltol
There is a reason why you lose your warrenty at a lot of brands if you are using Mayhem liquid.

@mastabog
All "current" D5 tops. Laing changed the impeller of their pump in 2011, all tops from all brands had to change their tops. If you are using an old top with a new D5 you will always have problems with leaks and other things. Doesn`t matter if you are using a VPP755 or a brand new D5 from Laing/Loward.

@all
If you have some issues with with the VPP755 start an RMA. Until now, we got only 5 VPP755 pumps back, one had a problem with the knob and the other 4 was damaged by the customers. They put the impeller out.
We can`t retrace wich kind of problems you guys have, if we didn`t get the pumps back. We have to check them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
I'm very surprised and intrigued by what you're saying. You say "a lot of brands". Which brands exactly? Can you show us any links from those brands where that is stated about Mayhems coolants? As far as I know, Mayhems also makes the EKWB coolants, which have been used by so many users. By what you are stating, the EKWB coolants are also off limits warranty-wise? If they were so destructive, I would have expected a river of reports from users. You also seem to make no distinction between clear and color coolants. Are both of them voiding your warranty?

I did start an RMA for my pump, as I said (I also PM'ed you and Pascal) but haven't heard back so far - it's been only 24h so that's fine. My experience with Aquatuning so far was that replies always took a few days and there were always delays with shipping of which I was not informed of, I had to ask about it via email to find out the cause. No pun or criticism intended, I was never in a hurry and you guys have always seemed friendly enough.

EDIT: About the pump: the pumps in the reddit threads, as well as mine and the others' who reported, started making noise without taking the pump apart. I agree with you that everyone should send it back to you ... but apparently you refuse to accept some of them because of the coolant they used. I used EKWB EVO clear coolant, the pump has been horizontal and started making noise after 7 days. As I said, I opened an RMA at Aquatuning so I'll see how that goes.

About the D5 tops compatible with VPP755: the reviews which I linked (here and here), which are by experienced folks, stated that the EK D5 Revo top leaked and the Monsoon SAP D5 top didn't fit -- both are current D5 tops, designed and manufactured recently. The VPP755 has a taller shoulder and also different protrusion length for the impeller tip (I measured it myself as I still have two D5 pumps). As long as there are differences to the D5 pump then it can't really be compatible with any D5 top.

I use a Heatkiller D5 top. The Heatkiller D5 top comes with a much thinner o-ring than the one supplied with the VPP755. If I use the one supplied with the VPP755 then it pushes the pump out of the top by more than 2mm (remember, the shoulder is also taller than the D5 pump), and the rear bracket hangs off by 2+mm. The Heatkiller o-ring pushes out the pump almost 1mm (mostly because of the taller shoulder compared to the D5 top), but I can screw in the bracket without worrying about damage. Which o-ring should be used with the Heatkiller top?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Eduard View Post

@ Toltol
There is a reason why you lose your warrenty at a lot of brands if you are using Mayhem liquid.

@mastabog
All "current" D5 tops. Laing changed the impeller of their pump in 2011, all tops from all brands had to change their tops. If you are using an old top with a new D5 you will always have problems with leaks and other things. Doesn`t matter if you are using a VPP755 or a brand new D5 from Laing/Loward.

@all
If you have some issues with with the VPP755 start an RMA. Until now, we got only 5 VPP755 pumps back, one had a problem with the knob and the other 4 was damaged by the customers. They put the impeller out.
We can`t retrace wich kind of problems you guys have, if we didn`t get the pumps back. We have to check them.
I'm definatly sending that one that makes these sounds back. However I'm pretty sure which kind of answer I will get.

In regards to the mayhem fluid, I can understand the policy in regards to aurora, however the vast majority here uses EK / Mayhem (Pastel or regular) fluids or some biocide (which AT offers in their shop), so voiding warranty in these cases seem more like a way to not have to offer any warranty at all.
As others have pointed out, EK being one of the larger companies, is perfectly fine with Mayhems, which indicates there's no general issue here.

In regards to the tops, wouldn't be suprised to see that the Watercool top is actually incompatible longterm or that the vertical mounting of the pump actually causes these issues given time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I have a vpp755 on order right now and this thread is making me question it. Should I switch to a vpp655 instead? For the people in this thread who do have the noise problem, did you take out the impeller? How many people here have the vpp755 without issues? I really want the vpp755 because it sounds like a great pump across the board but reliability is paramount for me and this washer thing has me worried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm convinced that none of those who complained about noise took out the propeller beforehand ... why would they when it was all silent? If anyone took out the propeller then it was after the noise started (and I know of only two folks who did, they both reported it in the Reddit thread in my first post). I didn't mess with the pump. It's still running, and noise is growing louder.

I'm intrigued, to say the least, that Alphacool says they found no issues with noise and that they received only 5 pumps back since they started selling it, which was 4-5 months ago.

This pump is very new, has received reports about noise, and Alphacool/Aquatuning issued some disheartening responses about void warranty (see previous replies). If you want to avoid risks then stick with the trusted D5.

I'm willing to give them a 2nd chance if they send me a fixed version (new revision, not just another new pump that develops the same issue). So far they haven't replied to my RMA...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Contact the sellers of the pump and ask them if they have seen any problems. They obviously would know about it being contacted for RMA's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller330i View Post

Contact the sellers of the pump and ask them if they have seen any problems. They obviously would know about it being contacted for RMA's.
The seller is Aquatuning, who already replied in here (you may want to read the thread).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastabog View Post

The seller is Aquatuning, who already replied in here (you may want to read the thread).
He could have been referring to me, which in my case the order is from mod my mods. They dont seem too concerned about it over there but I decided to go with the tried and true d5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wrote in the Mayhems thread because the Aquatuning claims about their coolants made in this post worried me since I've been using Mayhems and EKWB coolants. Here's what Mayhems had to say:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/14530#post_25878067

Reproduced in full here as it's relevant for the warranty of this pump. It looks like Alphacool/Aquatuning has wrongfully refused warranty to @Toltol. I'm still waiting for AT folks to confirm which brands are those that consider warranty to be void if Mayhems coolants are used. Also still waiting for them to reply to my RMA...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastabog View Post

An Alphacool/Aquatuning (one and the same?) rep claims that Mayhems coolants void warranty of "a lot of brands" and "attack any kind of plastic (acetal, plexi, pvc, ...)":

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624192/alphacool-vpp755-noise/10#post_25875630

They didn't mention whether it's the color or clear coolants.

I'd be grateful if someone from Mayhems could comment. I've been using only Mayhems X1 clear and EKWB Evo clear, which I undersatnd is made by Mayhems (right?)
Ill contact them over this as this is a misleading allegation. We feel our coolants are one of the best in the market place and do not compromise tubing, rubber, plastic or any seals with any liquid cooling components. We have fully tested this in lab environments and real life situations past and beyond any testing they may do (this is my assumption! not fact). We test from -60c up to 100c+ (*Mayhems Xt-1 Nuke is tested beyond 350c+) unlike many other companies. We all so check for plastic degradation and component failure and have done for many years. Unlike any other company in this market place mayhems do not use pre-bought car coolants or base coolants, they are all made in house from the ground up giving us full control over the manufacturing of the fluids.

Our testing has proven time and time again when certain companies OEM controls may be substandard and we have picked up issues in the past and contacted companies directly over any issues found due to our extensive and some times over the top testing. We do this because we care. If an AT rep is saying this then why are they selling our products on there site which they buy directly from us. !

*XT-1 Nuke was independently tested for its limits in a pressure environment to 390c, This is way beyond any liquid cooling equipment currently on the market for consumer PC's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Why do people line up to be guinea pigs and beta testers with new pumps?

This was as predictable as a politician

Stick with the tried and true best by one of the biggest and most experienced names on the planet in water pumps, D5 vario all the way.
 
1 - 20 of 750 Posts
Top