Overclock.net banner
661 - 680 of 754 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That would be a good idea. I almost pissed myself laughing -Jay2C just did a build with Alphacool Rads/Pumps and one of his pumps died in 2 weeks... Hmmm I wonder why. You very fortunate your retailer is standing behind it.
Do you know which one that was? I'm just interested.
Correction it was the Paul's HW video linked by someone else

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
Has that been proven by your chemists, if so where is the report?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Because Mayhems is using glysantin or sometimes glycerin for their liquids an both attacks any kind of plastik (Acetal, Plexi, PVC.... ). Thats the reason why a lot of brands gives no warrenty on their products if you use Mayhem.
Has that been proven by your chemists, if so where is the report?
AT Edward no longer responds as Alphafool have left OCN

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
I saw that episode too, sad part is that a lot of reviewers still buy ALphacool products.. [/url]
Buy???? You mean like actively research (the few reviewers left who could even effectively do that, of course) and spend their own money on? And not have them gifted to them by mfg to favorably review and show in vids?

Dear boy.....if you think these reviewers are buying these products, or using products that they would buy if they were spending their own money, then you are really getting blindsided to what is actually occurring.

·
Overclocker
7,038 Posts
Buy???? You mean like actively research (the few reviewers left who could even effectively do that, of course) and spend their own money on? And not have them gifted to them by mfg to favorably review and show in vids?

Dear boy.....if you think these reviewers are buying these products, or using products that they would buy if they were spending their own money, then you are really getting blindsided to what is actually occurring.
I hear you dude, but its not all black and white like you say. I know what you are saying but you simply can't speak for every reviewer. Besides, not every reviewer gets his products for free, some actually buy them...

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
I hear you dude, but its not all black and white like you say. I know what you are saying but you simply can't speak for every reviewer. Besides, not every reviewer gets his products for free, some actually buy them...
You believe what you need to if it helps you sleep at night. What I saw in ten years of reviewing for a couple of large and a few not so large sites paints a very different picture. Neither me or my site mates (or the writers for other sites that I know) ever wanted for anything and rarely spent a dime, though we did have certain items forced into our review rigs. To be clear, I am talking about reviewers from known sites, not kids who post random videos on YT - perhaps this is who you are referring to?

·
Overclocker
7,038 Posts
You believe what you need to if it helps you sleep at night. What I saw in ten years of reviewing for a couple of large and a few not so large sites paints a very different picture. Neither me or my site mates (or the writers for other sites that I know) ever wanted for anything and rarely spent a dime, though we did have certain items forced into our review rigs. To be clear, I am talking about reviewers from known sites, not kids who post random videos on YT - perhaps this is who you are referring to?
" What I saw in ten years of reviewing for a couple of large and a few not so large sites paints a very different picture." What sites? I would like to see some of your reviews.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
" What I saw in ten years of reviewing for a couple of large and a few not so large sites paints a very different picture." What sites? I would like to see some of your reviews.

well this is what I do to find what I hope to be the truth, first I will read the reviews, than I will read postings from others, that have that product, when I find three people that have all stated the same thing, bad or good, that is the truth I go with.

·
Overclocker
7,038 Posts
well this is what I do to find what I hope to be the truth, first I will read the reviews, than I will read postings from others, that have that product, when I find three people that have all stated the same thing, bad or good, that is the truth I go with.
Same here man. I am not new to all this though. I am in this business for a long time now and i know what YouTuber/reviewer i can trust.

Not every reviewer gets products for free and some that want to review a certain product they buy themselves or borrow it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I find it amusing that every attempt to replace Laing with Chinese copy always has the same ending. The same story with Gentle Typhoon fans.

And what you suggest, to pay 370 euro

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-...umps/10088/laing-d5-pump-12v-d5solar-38/700-b

EK Gen 2 D5 PWM are produced in Hungary.

Who still sell original Laing D5?
My D5 is loud over 50%. Max I could keep is 2500 RPM.
That's speed 2 if we look non PWM versions, or 50%, on that speed you can't hear even near pump, on 55% you start to hear.
Over that you start to hear pump like HDD only stronger.

Today is even hard to find Laing D5. Seller sell as D5 Laing, you check better pump is XSPC, or Alphacool, or Swiftech...

I see that as hit or missed, because of that serve dual D5 top and you set both D5 on 40% and that's it or speed 1 1800RPM.
On less than 50% they are silent. Anyway I doubt there is a any temp change between 50-60% flow and 100% in temperature.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The VPP755 is not a D5. It's their own pump that was designed as a hopeful replacement. UNNNNNNFORTUNATLY Its a piece of crap that breaks with in a few weeks and then Alphacool being a crappy company blame their customers for problems their engineers created.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
EK Gen 2 D5 PWM are produced in Hungary.

Who still sell original Laing D5?
ITT owns Xylem. Xylem purchased Laing and Lowara back in 2009. The D5 made in the Lowara facility in Hungary is identical to ones produced in the other Xylem owned facilities globally and is the original Laing D5 design.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
I've already gotten enough flack from some mfgs for things I've posted here, thanks. Not exposing it further in case I ever decide to pick up reviewing again, and I also don't want the friction with reps I'm friends with.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
ITT owns Xylem. Xylem purchased Laing and Lowara back in 2009. The D5 made in the Lowara facility in Hungary is identical to ones produced in the other Xylem owned facilities globally and is the original Laing D5 design.

"The VPP755 is not a D5. It's their own pump that was designed as a hopeful replacement. UNNNNNNFORTUNATLY Its a piece of crap that breaks with in a few weeks and then Alphacool being a crappy company blame their customers for problems their engineers created.

I know for Xalem but didn't know that Lowara is original.
Only Lowara is not PWM pump. Even that's not big deal if you find some tool to easier increase speed.
If Lowara is silence on 3 speed I doubt someone will need to change speed ever.
Maybe EK Gen 2 D5 PWM pump is better performance than Lowara and because of that is louder?

I didn't know that Alphacool behave like that.
I hate when someone blame me because they made wrong decisions in production.
VPP755 is not same dimensions even as D5, I was surprised how he fit in same tops.
Only atractive is body of pump. Original D5 body look very bad exposed.

But EK mechanism properly hide body and that's advantage.

Not only VPP755, XSPC have some X4 version. Very small comparison with D5.
But for such things maybe is better to stick with reliable options as D5.
If design is not use only for computer watercooling, that's big plus.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I actually have quite good chance to get it replaced as its bought from retailer and they are handling the RMA, not alphacool. But seeing this thread with all these issues will probably end up taking refund and buying some other brand D5 pump.
Just to update my situation. Retailer informed me yesterday that they tested the pump and its completely dead. They gave me few options, either new pump or refund. Took full refund this time.

Allready got EK D5 week ago and loop has been running flawlessy.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
There is a V3
According with a response in facebook, was released about 2 weeks and fixed all the previous problems :h34r-smi
it is indicated on the pump that it is a v3 ?

661 - 680 of 754 Posts