Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install Gentoo on this old PC of mine. It has an old 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 processor, and I've tried installing the x86 version and the amd64 version. The x86 version simply freezes with the penguin in the corner, and the amd64 version just doesn't work.

Help, please. ; ;

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
The x64 version isn't ever going to work on a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz. EM64T wasn't introduced until the LGA775 socket came out.

As for x86 freezeing, what point in the installation procedure are you at? I know you said that there's a Penguin on the screen, but all Linux Distro's are slightly different.

Slightly off topic, you may want to try out Ubuntu for now instead as most other Linux users find it has an easier learning curve.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
View Post

The x64 version isn't ever going to work on a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz. EM64T wasn't introduced until the LGA775 socket came out.

As for x86 freezeing, what point in the installation procedure are you at? I know you said that there's a Penguin on the screen, but all Linux Distro's are slightly different.

Slightly off topic, you may want to try out Ubuntu for now instead as most other Linux users find it has an easier learning curve.

It doesn't get to the installation process. While booting, I chose to boot into gentoo-nofb mode, and it stops loading at hda: lost interrupt. Not sure what that means - but my hard drive is connected...

(I think I just used a non-graphical boot mode...)

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by riseingpowers

It doesn't get to the installation process. While booting, I chose to boot into gentoo-nofb mode, and it stops loading at hda: lost interrupt. Not sure what that means - but my hard drive is connected...

hda is your primary HDD's primary partition. You need to setup your partitions and make sure that they're in FAT32 format as opposed to NTFS prior to actually installing Linux.

Unfortunately I'm used to SuSe but if you want a good guide for installing Gentoo you can find one here.

Sorry its the best I can do.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait, it's still running in this non-graphical boot mode, but it looks like it's automatically installing...or something...because I see things like >> Making tmpfs for /newrooot and >> Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hda

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH. I got it. I am a total idiot.

I downloaded the minimal install version which requires an internet connection.

Hurr, I am ******ed. ; ;

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
uh stupidity yes
gentoo can be installed from any linux environment the minimal install cd is there
if you don't have one
and the graphical install Admins who have the skills but not the time

as for hda lost interupt
1) check your jumpers
2) check your cables
3) the drive could be bad

hda is the master of the primary ide channel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts