Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so I am looking to get a laptop to take with me places and use for school.

Desires:
Good battery life
Able to play HD content, at least 720p, with no problems
No problems running Linux distros (so a wireless arrangement, really)
15.6" or smaller, pref smaller
Windows 7

Don't Need:
Dedicated graphics, Blu-Ray or DVD, silly gimmicks that I will never use, netbook, or a tankbook.

So in short, a reliable laptop that isn't too big that can playback HD content (I'm sure this won't be a problem for most systems) and comes stock with Win7, even though I plan to install Linux alongside it. Integrated graphics are fine, but extremely low end dedicated ones work too, especially if they'll help decode HD media.

Speakers, not a big deal, I'd be using my headphones anyways. Integrated audio all the same, I'm sure I'll be crying about how my FLACs don't sound as good as when I play them in the sig rig.

I realize this wouldn't be hard to find on my own, but surely there must be ones that are KNOWN to be good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like all makers have what you desire but in terms of quality.. Hmm.. Dell & IBM is what you should be looking for I guess..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobroufa
View Post

I know you said 15.6 or smaller... but take a good long look at Dell Studio XPS 16. Best laptop screen ever and it doesn't feel like a 16" notebook. Good battery life, great reviews all over the net. Plus it's way upgradeable so you're future-proof.

I meant that area, really. I could have said "Nothing 17 and bigger" but I guess that was implied.

Either way, Dell starts those at nearly a grand, and I don't think I need or even want a laptop worth that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N33t
View Post

Looks like all makers have what you desire but in terms of quality.. Hmm.. Dell & IBM is what you should be looking for I guess..

I figured. All I really knew is that I wanted to stay away from HP.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
How about my laptop? Asus UL30A. It uses the CULV Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB DDR3 RAM and an Intel GMA 4500. Has a 13" screen, is thinner than a MacBook, and is very very light. and depending on the model you get, 320 or 500GB HDD.

On my old HDD, I pulled 10 hours out of it on the battery. With my SSD, I can do 10:30.

You usually can find it used/refurbished on ebay for $550 (got mine for $500).

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
How about my laptop? Asus UL30A. It uses the CULV Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB DDR3 RAM and an Intel GMA 4500. Has a 13" screen, is thinner than a MacBook, and is very very light. and depending on the model you get, 320 or 500GB HDD.

On my old HDD, I pulled 10 hours out of it on the battery. With my SSD, I can do 10:30.

You usually can find it used/refurbished on ebay for $550 (got mine for $500).
Asus is all-too-often overlooked... sadly. They make great machines. Good recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBuyJunk View Post
Dell Studio 14z!
a good machine too. I looked at this one before I bought my xps13

1 - 7 of 7 Posts