Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X for about 4 months now to use with my gaming PC per recommendation from this forum. They were my first high end headphones I owned and they are almost perfect for my needs (gaming, rock/metal music, movies/tv).

A few small quibbles though:

1) They don't fit my head very well, the headband barely rests on my head and they tend to slide down after a while.

2) Bass. I don't listen to beat music so I didn't want a bass heavy headphone, but there is less bass in the AD900X than my previous cheapo headsets.

So for my second pair of high end headphones I'd like something with a little more bass but nothing over the top and a headband that actually fits me. Somewhere in the $300 range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
HD598 would make a very good choice for you then. These are the most comfortable headphones I've ever wore. Never had that "relief" feeling while taking them off after hours of movies and gaming. I think these also produce punchier bass compare to the AD900X. Not to mention that these also produce comparable soundstage to AD900x.

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Sennheiser never disappoints, if you're OK with Open Designs I'd strongly recommend you go with the Sennheiser HD 600, can't get better than at for the price.

Its got the most beautiful highs I've ever heard mixed with strong bass, I have it coupled with an external sound card so I can mess with the equalizer to enhance my favorites frequencies anyway.

Just my settings for those headphones, I have them connected to an ASUS Xonar U7
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Since the AD900x's are open cans they will always have less bass than a comparable closed set of headphones. The sennheiser hd598 mentioned before is your best bet if you want to keep the soundstage with a bit more bass (they are very neutral).

Some tips for using your AD900x's, do the rubber band mod to the wings. You don't have to dissassemble the wings, just get some elastic string or snip a big rubber band and tie it between the wings depending on how much clamp you want. Use it for a while and if it keeps slipping them tighting the string. This'll stop the cups from resting on your ears after a while and making them sore.

As for the bass try EQ'ing the lower frequencies or using a bass boosting dac/amp like the Fiio E10K. It won't be the best solution but it's the best you can do aside from sealing the cups to make them closed (then you lose soundstage).

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Eh, I'd just go straight for the HE-400 instead of the 350.

Orthodynamic headphones like that are good at everything, you can't go wrong with em.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Eh, I'd just go straight for the HE-400 instead of the 350.

Orthodynamic headphones like that are good at everything, you can't go wrong with em.
Good idea, but, he doesn't have a DAC/AMP and a $300 budget. You want him to buy headphones he won't get full potential from because HE-400 are his max price, and HE-350 is a whole new can, you can't possibly judge yet... its not even on the market...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts