Overclock.net banner

Alternative to Mayhems Blitz for rad cleaning?

2536 39
Can no longer get Mayhems locally in NZ so was wondering what is the recommended alternatives?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same problem in Thailand. Bought distilled water and treated it with mayhems biocide and inihibitor
I guess that's better than nothing but I think Mayhems Blitz uses acids for deep cleaning. Maybe I'll send them email and see what they can suggest.

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinegar and water. Sounds pretty simple, ain't it.
Can a vinegar and water solution also be used to flush the whole system? Mine is probably ready for an annual clean.

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry if I've missed something but what is recommended to use to clean the loop components, radiators and system as a whole? Would a cycle of dish soap work? I'll actually be putting a brand new LGA 1700 CPU block in so the only existing components will be my GPU water block and pump/res. I know Mayhems Blitz is trusted but it's far too expensive to order from the UK these days. :confused:

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks @Zfast4you but I've only ever used clear distilled water with Mayhems Biocide and Inhibitor and I think my GPU block/fins are still very clean. I wanting to know more about a system prep solution that can be used throughout the whole loop.

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Really? Mayhems is a UK based company, where are you ordering from?
I know they're UK based. There was store here in NZ that used to stock Mayhems products but they've since gone out of business. The only place I can get it is directly from Mayhems in the UK...

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For blitz pt 1, you can use distilled white vinegar. It is already diluted as it comes (5% acid), so I just pour it in to the rads straight up. Never use in the loop, it will damage nickel and possibly other stuff like acrylic.

For blitz pt 2, you can use liquid soap. A few drops and you will get the surfactants of blitz pt 2. Might want to just ensure the soap you are using doesn't also have nasty stuff in it, although I think Dawn is fine to use (even the kind with a bit of bleach in it...there isn't enough bleach in it to damage anything).

I have also seen people recommend using bleach to clean as an "in-between" of these two methods -- kills growth and cleans dirt out of there if you follow it up with a little soap. Just do not mix bleach and vinegar (chlorine gas, I think). I have not tried using bleach, but I've seen 25/75 bleach and distilled water recommended. I want to do some more research on that, because I'd love to have the option of a full-system cleaning agent that you can use on other parts aside from radiators.
Someone on an older thread suggested you need to follow up with baking soda to remove all of the distilled vinegar. Is that true?

For pt 2: we don't have Dawn down here, is that like a household dishwash liquid?

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Someone on another thread also mentioned CLR. Does anyone know anything about that?

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes you need something to counteract the acid from the Blitz Part 1. Baking soda mixed with distilled will do that.
Yes Dawn is brand of dishwashing soap.

CLR would be used to clean the radiators. Do NOT use it your whole loop. Nickel plating is very sensitive. You do not want any harsh liquids coming into contact with it
Do you mean counteract the acid from the distilled vinegar? Can CLR be used instead of the distilled vinegar and baking soda (for rads)?

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No CLR is not safe for a radiator. Least not the normal kind. They do sell a Radiator flush version that MAY be compatible.
Post #25 you said: "CLR would be used to clean the radiators." :LOL::confused:

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How much distilled vinegar should I use to flush the radiator and how much baking soda to counteract the acid?

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For blitz pt 1, you can use distilled white vinegar. It is already diluted as it comes (5% acid), so I just pour it in to the rads straight up. Never use in the loop, it will damage nickel and possibly other stuff like acrylic.

For blitz pt 2, you can use liquid soap. A few drops and you will get the surfactants of blitz pt 2. Might want to just ensure the soap you are using doesn't also have nasty stuff in it, although I think Dawn is fine to use (even the kind with a bit of bleach in it...there isn't enough bleach in it to damage anything).

I have also seen people recommend using bleach to clean as an "in-between" of these two methods -- kills growth and cleans dirt out of there if you follow it up with a little soap. Just do not mix bleach and vinegar (chlorine gas, I think). I have not tried using bleach, but I've seen 25/75 bleach and distilled water recommended. I want to do some more research on that, because I'd love to have the option of a full-system cleaning agent that you can use on other parts aside from radiators.
So the distilled vinegar doesn't need to be diluted any further? You haven't mentioned the use of baking soda to neutralize the acid afterwards as others have...

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I may be overthinking this. Going to go with a vinegar flush of the rads and a dish soap flush of the loop. Hopefully Mayhems new owner will get some stock down here to NZ!

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@Bridgekeeper I have spoken to Daniel (the new owner) and suggested some retail stores he could reach out to here in NZ. :)

• Rep+
Reactions: Bridgekeeper
1 - 15 of 15 Posts