Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had the idea to make a waterblock a while back, but I was unsucessful finding any copper. Now I have LOTS of aluminium available, (and a project for culminating in machineshop
) but no copper. What will the downs be with making the block form aluminium instead of copper other then the fact that it can't remove heat as fast?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Well, besides the heat transfer, which I think would suck IMO, you would run into corrosion problems unless you used an aluminum radiator as well. That would yield bad temps also. Why don't you just go here: http://www.onlinemetals.com/

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95
Well, besides the heat transfer, which I think would suck IMO, you would run into corrosion problems unless you used an aluminum radiator as well. That would yield bad temps also. Why don't you just go here: http://www.onlinemetals.com/
Yeah, Xavier gave me that link when I first contemplated this idea.. but my dad won't pay to order metals from a website, he just tells me to use what I have.. lol, nor do I have to money to buy copper.. so I'm kind of stuck...
Anyhow, what do you think the prices on an aluminium RAD would be?

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Yeah, Xavier gave me that link when I first contemplated this idea.. but my dad won't pay to order metals from a website, he just tells me to use what I have.. lol, nor do I have to money to buy copper.. so I'm kind of stuck...
Anyhow, what do you think the prices on an aluminium RAD would be?
dude even danger den sells metals. 1lb. of copper for $5 come on, that's not gonna break your piggy bank.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I wouldnt worry about a aluminum rad... just dont go aluminum I think you'd regret it

and good luck even finding a aluminum rad.. not to mention how much it'd be

but yea dd does sell copper for cheap http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=49

I'm not sure if it'd work but if you went half distilled water and half zerex Would that yeild minimal corosion?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#1. I'm in Canada
#2. I'm basically broke
#3. I don't have the tools to smelt pennies
lol
Okay, another theory..
What if...
I took a large barrel (7Litre) and just used that instead of a rad? Just put in a heavy duty pump in the barrel and let the cold water circulate itself? Maybe put the intake hose at the bottom and leave the output (from the block) at the top of the barrel?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
bong-style? it'd work, 7 liters is a bit much to stick wherever, but you would have cool temps... just throw something in there, like ice...heh

·
Registered
965 Posts
hehe I did it

I have a 1 gallon jar i'v been using my submersible pump in..

I broke a glue joint on my radiator, and for 2 days I ran without it...

idled with 95f temp water and only 45c proccesor temp lol

full load I hit 105f water temp but I added ice..

My radiator is just 1/2" copper tube, about 5 feet total oging back and forth inside a cardbord box 6 times, and 2 80mm fans on it.. Keeps the water 8-10f above ambient

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*
bong-style? it'd work, 7 liters is a bit much to stick wherever, but you would have cool temps... just throw something in there, like ice...heh
Well if that would work, it saves me a whole bunch of time and money. I have a submersible pump that looks about 1/2 and its insanly powerful.. just gotta clean it up since it was running in a dirty pond for 2 years.. lol
The barrel will be easy.. we got plenty of them around in the barn.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

Idle with 3 trays of ice

Full load with 3 trays of ice
NICE! lol, I think whenever the water gets warn I could walk down to the freezer and throw in an industrial sized bag of peas.. lol

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
First, if you are going to make a block, stick with copper or brass, don't go aluminum. Aluminum will suck the heat it but it doesn't release as well as the other two.

On the 7l idea, you could stick with a resivoir but add a little serenity to your room and run it though a homemade fountain. Take some plexi and some garden rock (riverbed or even peagravel) and glue the rock to the plexi. Get some tubing, cut a bunch of holes in it and mount it to the top so that the water cascades down the rock. The tumbling will expose it to much more air and get the temp back down to room...

Yeah, I know the mineralization and all make that idea pretty ridiculous...maybe use multiple pieces of plexi instead of rock, anything to get it to tumble instead of just pour. Now as to algae and bacterial growth...you would have the same issues with a barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've had pet fishes (if you call them pets?) and I've grow accustom to cleaning algae.
Well this is just my first time trying anything away from air, and it doesn't matter if theres a little algae build up since this is going to be tested on the old Cele for the first month or two. If it doesn't go so well... them I'll either scrap it or buy a rad.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Well I've had pet fishes (if you call them pets?) and I've grow accustom to cleaning algae.
Well this is just my first time trying anything away from air, and it doesn't matter if theres a little algae build up since this is going to be tested on the old Cele for the first month or two. If it doesn't go so well... them I'll either scrap it or buy a rad.
Throw in one of thos sucker/cleaning weird looking fish and your algae problem is solved

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Throw in one of thos sucker/cleaning weird looking fish and your algae problem is solved

I don't want a sucker stuck in my waterblock! lol
I'll take a swim and clean it up once in a while.. lol

1 - 20 of 132 Posts