Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

found some metal sheet that is really freaking thin.. reluctantly i got it
and some JB weld so this thing is gonna work o yea and braces

I really wish I could have found some brushed aluminum though

but this'll work

Home Depot or Lowe's has a small selection of sheet aluminum. If you want a lot better selection or you are looking for a specific grade you would want to go to a airplane supply shop, just look in the phone book under "Aircraft Parts & Supplies" or "Aluminum Products"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

I really wish I could have found some brushed aluminum though

If you have access to a bead(glass media) blaster or even a sand blaster that is a great why to give sheet aluminum a "brushed" look. Sandpaper that is 2000 grit or higher also gives a decent finish.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

so I could use my Black and decker mouse to sand this right? and that should work

you probably could, but you would want to use atleast 2000 grit. Any coarser grit and it's going to give a very rough and ugly finish. Don't push down to hard on the "mouse" either, just let it glide across.

• Rep+
Reactions: Inquisitor

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
use the steel wool that comes with the mouse, that works good. but isnt 2000 grit the same as used to lap heatsinks? that sounds a little.....smooth? lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

use the steel wool that comes with the mouse, that works good. but isnt 2000 grit the same as used to lap heatsinks? that sounds a little.....smooth? lol

You aren't really trying to sand it down at all, just "rough up" the finish, you could probably get away with using 800 or 1000, but I personally prefer the look that the higher grits give.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts