Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought an 8400gs becouse i thought i only had PCI slots becouse i have an old comp and 8400gs was the best pci card i could find. and i just opened up CPU-Z and saw that my motherboard can take PCI-e x16. can someone please tell me if i am able to slot in PCI-e cards? my motherboard is Intel D915GAG

thank you,

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
If you have a pcie slot you can use it. If you are asking if you can use the PCI card in a PCIe slot then the answer is no.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, thanks for quick response all i wanted to know was if i had a pcie slot >.< seems i wasted my money :/

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
It would be best just to open your case and look. CPU-Z may say so, but OEM manufacturers will order motherboards and ask for the PCI-e slots to be removed. The PCI-e lanes are there, just no way to actually use them.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
I would see if the company will take it back, with a full refund. That is, if you buy a better GPU from them. Offer to buy something before you return it. I'll be they will give you a shipping label. Explain about the PCIE.

·
Initializing...
23,790 Posts
You're not stupid its just a mistake thats all. I guess you got to return the card and get like 9600GSO or something.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8400GS
View Post

hmm im intrested :/ slightly i can tell you some specs now. these are OC'd btw 800mhz core 1800mhz shader 500mhz memory :/

(btw thanks for help guys)

Is it the 512mb version?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

Your not an idiot. Though looking inside your case you should know what a pcie lane looks like

yeah to answer most of these, when installing my 8400gs i saw the PCIe slot but i thought it was a PCI-x so i didnt bother asking for refund at the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac
View Post

My sides hurt. You based your username on a video card that you bought by accident

Lol. i find that funny too. >

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Well, I have 2 8600GTS in my wife's system, where there is no need for 2 cards...and my mother needs a PCI card. Let me know if you want to trade. Personally I would return it if at all possible and get a 9600gt/GSO. Trading with me is a good 2nd option

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
He wanted a quick answer. He probably didn't expect so much help.

I've had many questions on many forums. This forum gives the fastest replies. Plenty of good answers. (and a few ******ed ones to even things out)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts