Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep getting this message/popup report, and it looks quite worrying

are my banking details etc. really at risk from this.am i being hacked?
or is this an attempt to get me to download something else?
http://www.overclock.net/attachment....1&d=1135609304
how serious is this, and how can i get rid of it
spybot, and adaware se, have not detected/removed it.
i also found "mssearch.net.exe" in my processes.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
1. DONT USE IE. www.mozilla.com, download firefox
2. Download SpyBot AND Ad-aware, update definitions, scan, delete.
3. Download virus protection like AVAST and do a complete scan with latest definitions
4. Go to add/remove programs and make sure you dont see any programs you didnt install, if you do UINSTALL THEM

I would go to my program files and delete the directorys to, but only if your sure not to delete the wrong stuff, maybe get a registry cleaner to (?)

That is a worm, not spyware. Its a virus.

You might have to do the virus scan in safe mode also, good luck!

http://[email protected]

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Don't use your e-mail untill you remove it.
http://[email protected]

As far as to your risk level... could not say.
Best to change any passwords on any banking accounts after you remove it to be sure.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Its bogus. I just went to the webpage in your screen shot and it gave me the exact same page, even said the exact same ip had control of my machine and I know there is not any thing on my machine.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
You guys need to go get some virus protection and always have full-time virus protection on. Then it detects them before they can do harm... usually..

·
Registered
879 Posts
yeah, usually if you get a popup with Microsoft Internet Explorer in the title bar and you are using Firefox it is probably just spam.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have full Norton Antivirus Software, but this stuff still gets in, i always have it on, and my firewall.
i didnt run a scan in safe mode yet, will do asap.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chargerz919

yeah, usually if you get a popup with Microsoft Internet Explorer in the title bar and you are using Firefox it is probably just spam.

You shouldnt get popups in firefox

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
its a nice habit to get into...you run a quick scan for viruses every other day, and run spyware programs once a week or more..takes like 5 minutes and could save you hours in the long run.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bicolormoth

i have full Norton Antivirus Software, but this stuff still gets in, i always have it on, and my firewall.
i didnt run a scan in safe mode yet, will do asap.

You update your definitions daily? I had Norton for some time and it usually stopped them or removed them in time. But always atleast detected them.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i do the daily routine, but something has slipped through here.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Well since everyone is getting that message it might just be false information trying to get you to buy a program, You might not even be at risk. And to remove mssearch.exe prob do this... Check add/remove program..check program files or the program files directory for a folder with that name. Then delete it. If its not there go to start>run>msconfig>startup and see if its listed in the list and uncheck it

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm , its not in any of those places, it IS listed under processes in win/tak/magr, but if i remove it, it just immediately starts again.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
all programs> startup?

if its loading on startup theres gotta be a .exe or something causing it to. And all startup programs are in the msconfig under startup/services

try checking the hide microsoft services in the services tab and see whats there..i doubt it tho.

maybe a screenshot of the "STARTUP" tab and everything listed? See I only have 4 checked

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Download and run CCleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

It not only is a great cleaning utility, but it let's you control you startup programs and uninstall anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts