Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that when I CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the task manager and then click the proccesses tab I see many different "svchost.exe."s running.

1 of them is LOCAL SERVICE, 2 is NETWORK SERVICE, 2 is SYSTEM, and all of them use some RAM, but 00 CPU.

Am I being used as a host against my will? And if so, why doesn't Spybot and/or Adaware work? If I ran a Norton check would it rid my system of this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
if you have a wireless router you can go into it and somewhere it will list DHCP client list ore something like that it will have alist of all the computers conected to your network and wether or not they are wired or wireless... lemme know your manufacurer and ill let you know exactly how

·
Registered
126 Posts
not to sure exactly what that does, but i don't think it's a spybot or anything, cause i've seen that even when i just recently re-formatted and hadn't connected to the internet...

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by natureca

not to sure exactly what that does, but i don't think it's a spybot or anything, cause i've seen that even when i just recently re-formatted and hadn't connected to the internet...

are you ludaz???

your posting under a diff name or is this someone different??

·
Registered
725 Posts
svchost.exe's proccess information that .dll's create. If the said .dll is a piece of spyware or whatever then it will use a svchost to transfer info, but just because svchosts exist doesnt mean they are transfering malicious data.

I think the above is how it works, though im not entirley sure, someone may correct me.

Do you have alot of programs running in msconfig? (or check your hijack this log or whatever)..close some of the programs from startup and then restart and see if you have less svchosts.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
svchost.exe controls a variety of things, one of which is networking. I don't know the specifics, but it's normal that have a number of them running at once.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I had to reformat my comp, and saw this post, so I checked my processes. And ITS there! Its a windows thing.

Kinda like the xerox folder, that you cant delete...
(unless you safe mode delete it, but then it comes back again)

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Here's the thing about svchost.exe, what it does is it controls various things and you must have it if you are running windows. svchost is not a virus, though last year when that virus was sent around it killed svchost and so your computer would shut down. If you ever get a warning that your computer is going to shutdown in 10 seconds go to run and type "kill -a".

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Svchost is a generic application used to host services that are not full executables--similar to rundll.

Type "services.msc" in a run dialog box to control the behavior of these services, and type "tasklist -svc" in a command prompt window to see what services are running.

It is possible for viruses and spyware to show up in the form of services, but they are rather easy to kill--just set the service startup status to "Disabled" in services.msc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts