Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new PC in addition o my sig rig, its a quad core xeon X3440 with hyper threading.

I only have stock cooling for it so im running it at the stock 2.53Ghz as with speed boost at 3Ghz it runs at 70+C.

I'm only getting 1700ppd, which is the same as I got before on my e7200.

Do I have to change the amount of cores it uses or somethng? Windows says all "8" cores are at 100% load though.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AvgWhiteGuy View Post
Have you stopped the client at all since you started folding?
No, its been going all night and I just checked it and its still at 1700pd.

Actually I started it, it went to 2% and it my CPU was running at 70C, so I ended it and downclocked the CPU to 2.5Ghz and its been running ever since.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
What's your time per frame? Could you post a screenshot of the client in HFM?

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
You posted the same screenshot twice?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

You posted the same screenshot twice?

I thought I uploaded two different ones, the second is supposed to be the part on the right of hfm thats cut off. I'm transferring files from the old PC that being replaced so I dont the Xeon PC hooked up to get the screenshot, I will ain a few minutes though.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
It's all cool

So what's your SMP PPD ATM? And your GTX470 should be getting 12k+ PPD, is that what GPU it is? And are you using the latest nVidia drivers?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The SMP has risen to 2200PPD, but I see people reporting 15K+ with i7's, which this xeon chip is.

The PC in question has an 8800GT in it, its entirely different then my sig rig. The sig rig is for gaming and screwing around with. The one were discussing in this thread I just built as a "family" PC, mainly for email and internet browsing.

I chose a i7 because I want it to last atleast 6 years and still keep up. As long as I can keep the CPU cool I thought I might as well fold on it since its on 24/7 anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Yeah. That's definitely very low. Maybe try deleting the client and trying again (re-extract/configure)?

So are you not going to be folding on your sig rig? The GTX470 would do very nice

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

Yeah. That's definitely very low. Maybe try deleting the client and trying again (re-extract/configure)?

So are you not going to be folding on your sig rig? The GTX470 would do very nice

I will but I stopped during the summer because my PC plus our in window air conditioners were blowing fuses every three seconds so I had to turn it off or turn one of the air conditioners off so the limited time it was on I wasnt getting much folding done.

I just bought the GTX 470 and the i7 PC last week. Seeing what the i7 and GTX can do I wanted to fold again, so instead of geting the 6500-7000 total a day I was getting before I was hoping for around 15-20k ppd for each of my PC's totaling 30-40000ppd, which is AMAZING, considering where I was before.

Plus I'm anxious to see what my e7200 can do at 4.25Ghz, I got a H-70 too so I can run it at 4.25Ghz all day long.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Ok, close the client, and add the "-smp 8" flag to it. Restart and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
What Zodac said, the -smp flag is essential to the SMP client operating correctly

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
You probably lost a lot of bonus points while not Folding at 100%. The faster you complete the WU the larger the bonus, and also the longer it takes, the less bonus points.

Wait until you get the next WU, then your PPD should be much higher.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Sorry, didn't see that post

First of all, your PPD is low because you're on an "old" WU, and thus the bonuses are far lower than they should be.

2nd, what else is running? A bunch of background programs will kill your PPD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts