Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am fairly new to water cooling but I keep reading about sub ambient temperatures using peltier’s and how people try to get lower and lower temperatures using these devices.

It strikes me from figures quoted using water cooling products and projects that most people would be happy if their computers CPU / GPU etc. got anywhere near an average ambient temperature e.g. 22C, from what I have seen 45C is good, just take a look at this graph

View graph by clicking here

So why can’t people just try to attain even ambient temperatures and leave sub ambient temperatures alone!

Or am I missing something?

P.S. I already understand that some people want to over clock the IC’s and therefore need these low temperatures, but I’m talking about the general public not the hardened over clocker’s

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarr

Hi,
I am fairly new to water cooling but I keep reading about sub ambient temperatures using peltier’s and how people try to get lower and lower temperatures using these devices.

It strikes me from figures quoted using water cooling products and projects that most people would be happy if their computers CPU / GPU etc. got anywhere near an average ambient temperature e.g. 22C, from what I have seen 45C is good, just take a look at this graph

View graph by clicking here

So why can’t people just try to attain even ambient temperatures and leave sub ambient temperatures alone!

Or am I missing something?

P.S. I already understand that some people want to over clock the IC’s and therefore need these low temperatures, but I’m talking about the general public not the hardened over clocker’s

Your average person dosent need to go beyond air cooling. However some marketing guru decided that offering this option would sell more computers.
And that person was right. Why dose anyone need a car that can go 0 - 60 in 4 seconds. because its available

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
General public doesnt really need to as the small performance gains arent noticable to them and they believe slowness is just a fact fo computers. Also though, colder temperatures, OC'ing or not, provide better electrical conductivity. A hot 1300mhz processor will actually go slower then a cold 1300mhz processor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm right in thinking that if you could manage to get your chips down to room temprature you would be doing V good indeed, and that getting it any lower is just silly

Thx

P.S. is there anything out there that ca get your chips this low without peltier?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Electrical conductivity of a material increases as the temperature decreases, this increase efficiency, and as someone stated would actually make even a same clocked processor "faster." Certianly nothing noticeable, but theoreticaly speaking. The colder you get, the more efficient the processor works with less amounts of voltage so you are able to overclock further with the same amount of voltage as you would with higher temperatures. There are a couple ways to get sub-ambient and sub-zeron temperatures, TECs/Peltiers, Phase-change cooling systems, liquid nitrogen, and dry ice to name a few, though only the first 2 being "practical" even though they still barely qualify as such.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Its not theoretically silly... bu tin the real world unless ur OC'ing, yes, it is silly hehe. You can get sub-ambient only with Peltiers and phase-change (refrigerator hehe) systems on a practical level. Liquid nitro and dry ice, as griffy said, are not at all practical. Anything that involves air wont go sub-ambient unless its compressed air.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarr

So I'm right in thinking that if you could manage to get your chips down to room temprature you would be doing V good indeed, and that getting it any lower is just silly

Thx

P.S. is there anything out there that ca get your chips this low without peltier?

No. *****

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
theoretical wasn't the word.... unrealisticaly maybe, operation inside the processor, electron migration, would occur at a more effiecient rate, but the user would see no change or benefit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts