Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....who isnt blown away by win7?

now im not after a flame fest nor am i trolling here but i dont get what everybody is raving about.

i put it on my box a couple of days ago and other than the thing that sticks the wiindow to the side of the screen i dont get it.

it looks, feels and performs like vista but i cant seem to customise it exactly how i like.

i am the only person i know who feels this way so does that make me strange?

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Yes, yes you are.

No you're apart of a group of people we like to call the haters

Hahahaha I'm kidding mate.
I don't think that Windows 7 is this ZOMG UBER WINDOZE REVOLUTION thing, but I find it to be a step in the right direction. It's very nice, but still has its bugs unfortunately

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think the biggest ZOMG thing is that it actually works without BSODing a million times, and you don't have to change the settings to get it working as much.

As such, customizability is sorta restricted... but it's a HUGE leap respective to previously.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
its vista but "optimized"... the microsoft guy said it was optimized lol but it looks a lot like vista, but the quick launch has changed, the mouse "actions" (like sticking to the side and top of screen), changing backgrounds, and their are some technical things too in the control panel and its easier to connect to like 360's and stuff like that

·
Registered
135 Posts
ahhh... the old upgrade rant! I j/k

Now seriously, I like to stick with my os'es and I seem to have a strange experience, I <3 my Millennium (hold yur guns gentleman), never had a single problem with it but inevitably I had to go xp for my gaming needs, same with vista, never had a problem and I wont change to Win7 until its inevitable, I could not care less for the new shiny fancy stuff it may bring.

I see all this upgrading as an inevitability.

Just my 2 eurocents.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I hardly see how 7 is really "better performing".. There isn't enough of a difference in terms of the "quickness" that Windows 7 has to justify that.. It just doesn't require the spec's Vista does. Its definately "better" than Vista, but thats pretty much because its not as big of an OS, while still accomplishing what Vista can.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
windows 7 uses less ram than vista. I'm talking about a full featured desktop experience too. Aero is on, changing backgrounds, 2 monitors. Windows 7 uses about 2/3's the ram Vista did with the exact same setup and desktop experience.

windows vista wouldn't work on my 6 year old laptop. It would install fine, but it would run very slow, and was generally unusalbe.

Windows 7 made my 6 year old laptop act like a new machine. It installed perfectly, drivers were no problem to find, and it runs like a champ. I can't use aero or anything, but it's faster than the XP install that was on it. It even uses less ram when idle than XP did.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, i can understand that you like it, and think its better but why? what makes it better to you?

only im finding it hard to understand what it is that everybody likes about it tho, what does it do that makes you like it more?

what features am i missing that makes it os?

edit

n1 klye thats what im after

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I love the New look, that Vista gave us, but with the operating ability of XP as far as resources go. Install is comparable in size to XP which is much smaller than Vista. And overall, I just like the neat new features like mouse gestures, and multiple desktop ability.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damarious25
View Post

yeah. home networking is easier in 7 if you have a few machines in your place.

This is actually the thing I don't like about it. I'm a networking guy and when windows messes with the way things were setup, it irks me. I don't know why they have to change anything, it's already a pain when you have to deal with share permissions AND NTFS permissions, now this new windows 7 share scheme seems to be completely different...

If anyone knows a way to disable all the new networking features, and basically just give the old dialog boxes, it'd be helpful.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsee
View Post

Well win7 makes me laugh and treats me better then my old OS. I feel like I can be myself around Win7.

LMAO you HAVE to love this

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Its not bad I have only had it installed for a day now, The only problem I have had is some explorer.exe bug. It will say explorer has crashed then it does something and it "recovers" then it will crash again. I haven't figured out why it keeps doing this. I have tried to recreate it but thus far it seems random. I googled it though and it seems to be a common bug.

I had to leave the XP world behind eventually so.....But like I said if it wasn't for this one annoying bug I like it over XP.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have been a loyal XP user for ever now, and before XP I was taking my last stand with 98. I was refusing to do windows 7. I tried the RC for about a day and went on a rant about how it was just like vista and how worthless it was. Then I got the RTM. I used it for a while, and now it is starting to grow on me. With the windows classic theme I have to remind my self that I am using windows 7 most of the time. I don't like how to control panel looks. Mostly it offers the same fluidity of XP to me, stuff just kinda flows and runs.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,882 Posts
I am not gonna say that I am Blown away by Windows 7. I will say that I do like it better than Vista. Not to mention that when I was running Vista Ultimate( fresh installed) I was using about 35% of my available RAM. With Windows 7 Ultimate I am only using 21% of my available RAM. I did no RAM upgrade at all. Both were just installed. I was bored and wanted to see what the Operating differences were. I stayed with Windows 7. Low RAM Usage and what seems to be faster reaction times to programs. Not to mention the great Fast Startup. The Window Sticky thing is kinda nice but Meh. The Window Wiggle is nice too. I really like the Slideshow Desktop though. 3GB of Pictures on my External and my picture changes every 30 min. I have not seen the same picture twice in 2 weeks! LOL!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts