Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...who thought Borderlands totally sucked. Biggest waste of 52 buck ever. Bought 3 games today, Rogue Warrior, which is sickest of the sick, L4D2, which I haven't played yet and Borderlands. Without even playing L4D2, I know Borderlands was the worst. Already posted a for sale thread for it, haha.

Why has everyone been raving about it? Does it take a while to get in to? Did I not give it a chance? Same thing with Dragon Age. Just for the life of me, could not get in to it. And I love gaming. Sucked into Resident Evil 5 right now, loved Mirrors Edge, gonna be getting into Rogue Warrior....by the way, that is Mickey Rourke isn't it? Just adds to the sweetness of the game.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Eh, it was good, till I realized how short the game actually was. 2nd playthrough is boriiiiing, lvl 50 cap is lame. It's really just grind, the story sucks, not really any tactics, just pull your best gun and run at them while shooting. Again and again and again.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I even got bored of it while playing at a LAN party. When my friend described it as 4 player Fallout 3, I was expecting something more along those lines. Glad I played someone else's copy.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
Should have tested it before you bought it to see if it was your cup of tea. I always do that before I buy anything.

Also how is rogue warrior I saw the ads on the tv but I never heard of it before then.
Rogue warrior received scathing reviews.

"This dreadfully boring, expletive-filled, extremely short shooter is an absolute rip-off."

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh harsh review, I think Rogue Warrior is sweet. I mean ya, it's a first person shooter and how in depth do ANY fps get, you run around shooting the baddies. But, you can choose to remain stealthy, you have silencers and stuff. You can creep up behind guys and do silent kills, which are always different.

Just hearing the guy talk (who I know is Mickey Rourke) is hilarious. Alot of expletives, and funny ones. He throws a grenade, hes like here, chew on this mother-----, stuff like that. Its like Metal Gear Solid meets Doom. But thats just my opinion.

*And oh yea, it was made by the help of the real person who founded the navy seals and stuff, that alone is a sweet selling point*

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK View Post
I even got bored of it while playing at a LAN party. When my friend described it as 4 player Fallout 3, I was expecting something more along those lines. Glad I played someone else's copy.
My friend told me that too, so I figured ok, a game with awesome graphics, good story, and fun. Instead its horrible cartoony graphics (am I the only one who HATES the graphics of Borderlands), no story, and after playing multiplayer for about 30 minutes, I began to absolutely hate it.

Glad my copy was pirated, installed it at a lan party at my friends, uninstalled it when I got home.

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea man first thing I noticed....like I was lost in an episode of Looney Tunes. Don't know why any company would make there game look like that on purpose.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post

Just hearing the guy talk (who I know is Mickey Rourke) is hilarious. Alot of expletives, and funny ones. He throws a grenade, hes like here, chew on this mother-----, stuff like that. Its like Metal Gear Solid meets Doom. But thats just my opinion.

Wait, they finally released Duke Nukem Forever? About time.

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, yea. Except way better graphics, story seems ok so far, and minus the aliens and dumb stuff.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post
Yea man first thing I noticed....like I was lost in an episode of Looney Tunes. Don't know why any company would make there game look like that on purpose.
I know, everything looks flat and, well like a damn cartoon. And coming from games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Ambient Occlusion, amazing atmospheric graphics, and of course HDR lighting, this game looks terrible. on the plus side, I get 55FPS in it with everything maxed, 16XQ Antialias and 16X anisotropic filtering (with these settings I get ~5FPS in Fallout 3 and maybe 2FPS in Stalker.)

Which looks better to you? (and newer? hint: bottom one is a game from 2007)
LL

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some screenshots from Rogue Warrior....

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Of course BL's doesn't look as good as Stalker ... it's a friggin console port. If you think it looks crap on the PC, you should see it on the 360. It's considerably worse-looking, trust me.

Stalker SoC is my fave game of all time (looks like you're in the 'real ending' stretch there eh?), and Borderlands for me is probably also top 10.

I think the game of Borderlands is great. Not a huge fan of the comic-book style graphics, but for how well it runs, smooth as silk even at 16xQAA with Supersampling, I think it looks pretty good. And I've gotten 10's of hours of enjoyment out of my copies of the game over the past couple months. I don't regret the money I spent on it at all.

And it is NOT a short game if you do all the side missions, and you play it alone. The first time through takes a LONG time compared to most games nowadays.

I do agree on Dragon Age, though. Haven't been able to get into it at all. That was a bad use of $50. So was Modern Warfare 2, actually. Single Player was done in one sitting practically, and I haven't really cared to do the Multi-player.

Those screenshots look like something from out of 2003 (where are the shadows?), and it got a 2.0 (out of 10) rating on Gamespot, and close to the worst review I've ever read on that site (and I've read a LOT of them). Sooo ... You enjoy your Rogue Warrior. I'll be on Planet Pandora with my homies ... peace!

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To each their own I suppose

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the graphics are fine. It's an art style decision, not every game should try to look as realistic as possible. Here's one thing Borderlands had far less of than stalker: bugs.

I made it all the way to Chernobyl only to realize the game would systematically crash. A patch came out, I installed it and... it made my saves unusable. That's the moment when I said **** it and forgot about stalker.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i liked borderlands.
i was able to pretty much max out everything (with a few exceptions) and get 60fps.
the gameplay was fun to me.
but what i hated was how easy it was.
i beat the entire game (both playthroughs) and got to 50, then beat all the bosses again, by myself. (while only dieing literally 20-30 times throughout the entire process)

i liked it overall, but once you hit 50, there is absolutely nothing to do except kill the same bosses over and over (and there are only like 5 bosses anyways)

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Santana View Post
i liked borderlands.
i was able to pretty much max out everything (with a few exceptions) and get 60fps.
the gameplay was fun to me.
but what i hated was how easy it was.
i beat the entire game (both playthroughs) and got to 50, then beat all the bosses again, by myself. (while only dieing literally 20-30 times throughout the entire process)

i liked it overall, but once you hit 50, there is absolutely nothing to do except kill the same bosses over and over (and there are only like 5 bosses anyways)
The bosses are the worst part of it, by far. All you do is run around and dodge while pumping the ammo into it. Pretty much, if you survive the first 15 seconds, you can survive the next boring 10 minutes of grind before the stupid thing dies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts