Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any AM3 or AM3+ Motherboards that support AM2 or AM2+ CPU's. I heard that Some AM2 CPU's work in AM3 motherboards but with the appriote BIOS update. Can anyone confirm this and give me a list of motherboards (Or one) that a AM2 CPU will work with a AM3 Motherboard Socket?

·
Banned
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMudkip View Post

I was wondering if there are any AM3 or AM3+ Motherboards that support AM2 or AM2+ CPU's. I heard that Some AM2 CPU's work in AM3 motherboards but with the appriote BIOS update. Can anyone confirm this and give me a list of motherboards (Or one) that a AM2 CPU will work with a AM3 Motherboard Socket?
As far as i know, AM3 processors work on AM2+ sockets, not the other way around. Upgrading AM2/AM2+ processors to AM3 motherboards require the motherboard to feature DDR2 SDRAM slots, because AM2/AM2+ processors lack the DDR3 memory controller. In addition, the CPU socket needs to be a universal CPU socket design that can accept both AM2 and AM3 pin layouts, because two extra pins on the AM2/AM2+ processors and the change in contact placement (940 contacts for AM2/AM2+ processors, whereas 938 contacts for AM3 processors) makes the older processor mechanically incompatible with the reference new socket, preventing users from attempting to install an old chip on a non-compliant new board.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMudkip View Post

I heard that Some AM2 CPU's work in AM3 motherboards but with the appropriate BIOS update.
You can but, the AM3 motherboard has to have DDR2 slots on the board. Putting a AM2/AM2+ CPU on a AM3 board that has native DDR3 slots won't work because those CPU's don't have a DDR3 controller built on to the CPU. Second, the new board would have to be able to accept the appropriate wattage of the CPU. There are AM3 board out there that support DDR2 which will accept older AM2 chips.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can´t because there are no AM3 mobo's with support for DDR2, that are AM2+ mobo's, wich support both DDR2 and AM3 processors, and AM2 processors too...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts