Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new system soon, and i want to but a HSF for it in advance, but i was wondering will a 939 socket cooler work on an AM2 socket, or vice versa?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
They will as they have the same three prongs but the mounting bracket is different

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite

They will as they have the same three prongs but the mounting bracket is different

So if the mounting bracket is different how will it fit?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The mounting bracket has a different ammount of screw holes, 939 has 2 while am2 has 4 but the 3 prongs allow you to use the 939 heatsinks that use the 3 prongs

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh alright cheers dude

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The cooler should say what it will work. Like the Zalman cnps9500 says it works with 754, 939, 940, while the Zalman cnps9500 AM2 says it works with the 754,939,940, and AM2. So I would check the manufactor website, and see if it will work or not.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha yea never even checked that, probably the best idea!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Well not to sure now, because on the zalman website it says the cnps9500, none AM2, will work with the AM2 socket, but not sure, would just buy the AM2 to be safe, of course I am just using this cooler as an example.
Which cooler do you ahve right now, that you were planning on using, or getting?

·
Registered
727 Posts
It won't fit, that's for sure.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a stock heatsink now, but im getting a new sys in january, so im starting to get small parts for it now, and i was looking at HSF's. and i was thinking of getting one, so i just wondered could i use it on my 939, untill i get my AM2

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Well the one I have, the Zalman cnps9500AM2 says it will work for AM2, 754,939, and 940.
But there are other ones that will work for both 939 and AM2, just read and check to make sure it will work for both before you buy it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Right here dood, get this cooler and never look back, http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20776, cheaper than the zalman 9500 and a lot more cooling muscle. And ya I would definitely recommend a cooler that specifically states AM2 ready. They should all be backwards compatible for 939 as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts