Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
A 939 socket rig would be a bit cheaper to build without sacrificing
much speed. The 939 is slightly older but will work well for a year or two more.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
One is not better then the other really. The only advantage the AM2 would have over the 939 setup would be more upgradable. If you want to get an AM2 setup just make sure you get a DDR2-800 memory set, or at the very least a DDR2-667. The DDR2-667 would be comparable to a DDR-400 that you would use with a 939 and the DDR2-800 would yield a small performance increase over a DDR-400 socket 939 setup.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
AM2 is new and is faster due to DDR2 and higher bandwidth. Like I said.. its new so theres bugs and glitches here and there but its worth it very much IMO. Also, all future AMD CPUs will be on the AM2 platform so if you don't want to do any full PC upgrades then go with AM2

Note: DDR2 RAM is extremely expensive.. a good AM2 motherboard isn't cheap either. If your short on the extra $$ then just go with the 939.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got a socket 939 4200+ and my cousin has the same processor, but on AM2. There is nearly no difference in performance. AM2 is just more compatable. All AMD CPUs are crazy cheap right now, so I would buy a nice AM2. The 4800 was at a good price last time I saw it. There is, of course, always the FX series, but if you are spending that kind of money it will be better invested in a Core 2 Duo.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
woah crazy lembas, we have the same avatar! gotta luv that ramen

anyways, it really matters how much money you have and whether or not you already have some ddr ram...
the difference between the two isn't all that substancial... the ddr2 memory isn't all its cracked up to be, providing little performance boost, and being quite expensive... the same goes for the motherboards... you could easily build a 939 rig of equal performance to that of an AM2 for cheaper, specially if you already have and chose to keep the ram from your previous rig.... however, the am2 is the next generation meaning that all future upgrades are going to be on that platform....

IMO, either go build a good performing cheap s939 rig, or if you have the money, don't bother going am2 and just snag a conroe

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
AM2, then the DDR2 can be used when you come around to the C2D side

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
doesn't that seem a little pointless though? they're relatively the same generation... am2 and conroe that is.... if he has the money, shouldn't he just go conroe now? otherwise build a 939?

technology moves to fast lol...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think im gonna go with a 939. I dont have alot of money right now. All i need is a motherboard, memory, processor, and video card to upgrade my current rig.

Now i wanna know if i should get a FX-55 or a X2 4200+. If i should get the FX should i get the San Diego core or the CLawhammer? Whats the diffrence? If i get the X2 it will be the Manchester core.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Get the FX-55 if you are just going to be doing gaming on the machine. The San Diego FX-55 is the way to go. If you are going to be doing any multi-tasking at all, get the X2 4200+. Depending on the board you get, the X2 should overclock pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The Optys have droped in price again.
If you set on a 939 do consider that high end RAM is rare to find

A good inexpensive 939 setup.
Opty CPU considerations
Single core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103596
Dual core
Opty 165, but you would have to do some digging, there sold out at a lot of places
Athlon single core and the best option or the "BN" ADA3700BNBOX ... not the CF part#
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103539
MBs
Nonsli
Biostar T Force 6100-939 usually under $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152
SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138272
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131517
There are many other possible MBs that are very good whether they be nonSLI, SLI or Crossfire.
On the RAM, preferably get 2x1G about $2-300

A budget on what you want would help a lot

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will mainly be using this computer for gaming. Im not sure on what my budget will be. How long will that processor run the newest games? I wanna keep the budget as low as possible while getting the best performance as possible. The processor and mobo is my main concern.

·
Registered
727 Posts
you'd be better if u stick wth an AM2 3800 or something w/ 1 gb xms2 rams and x800, probably last you a couple of years, 939 wont be able to play future games better then the Am2's

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
For an inexpensive build with the MB @ $70 and the CPU @ $100
Biostar T Force 6100 939 (PCIe 16x vid required) and a "BN" part series 3700+ Sandy 939 which could OC to near or above 3G with a good stepping.

The T Force 6100 (PCIe 16x vid required) for an AM2 works well too (about the same prioce) along with a AM2 Orleans 3200+ (about $80) should hit about 2.8 OCed but you will need DR2 memory.

The AM2 offers more upgradability.

Either way how long it keeps up will be more depandant on the vid card than whether it's 939 or AM2!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think im gonna go with the Opty 148 OSA148BNBOX.

The Abit KN8 SLI mobo, unless there is something else better around that price or cheaper. I would like to try overclocking with this rig. I just dont wanna tear anything up. So if there is a mobo that is a better overclocker than that let me know.

And a XFX 7600GT.

I am gonna stick with my current memory until i can save some money to get a good set of duel channel.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Not to gassed on the Abit 939 MBs. Personally, the DIF SLD-d or SLI DR would behoove you, unless you want to kick up to the best DFI SLI "Expert"

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Regardless of whether you choose the 939 or AM2 platform, you need to go with a dual core processor of some type. I'm sorry, but the FX-55 recommendation was dead wrong. The FX-55 is only a single core, and even above that, FX's are really only going to be worth the premium you pay for them if you have a phase system to really wring out the capabilities they have.

I'd strongly suggest either a an Opteron 165 CCBBE or CCB1E for the 939 platform, or an X2 3800+ for the AM2. Both are highly overclockable, and will give you about the best performance/dollar available for those platforms.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok here is my cart as of now. Tell me what you think.

AMD Opteron 148 Venus 939 2.2ghz.

BIOSTAR TFORCE4 SLI 939 or DFI LANParty NF4 Ultra-D (is the lanparty as pickey about ram as i have been reading?)

And a XFX 7600GT

The parts that will be transfered will be a Aspire 520W PSU, 250GB HDD, and the memory stated below. It will all be put into a Antec LANBoy case.

I am planning on buying a stick of 512mb ram and using my current 512 stick. Its DDR400. and not duel channel. But it is just temporaray. Will this be ok with this board or will it make it really unstable. I wont be overclocking until i get some good memory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts