Overclock.net banner

AM3 motherboard supporting SLI and Crossfire? 890FX/GX/X??

5167 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Chrono Detector
Is this even possible w/o a entirely new chipset? Will there be a new chipset in the future that will support SLI and Crossfire?? Will the 800 series chipsets support it?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
I doubt they will..

AMD doesnt really like nvidia.. So why would this ever happen?
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

I doubt they will..

AMD doesnt really like nvidia.. So why would this ever happen?

Intel and Nvidia hate each other, yet Intel has a chipset that supports both.
See less See more
Good point. I don't see why AMD shouldn't be able to use Nvidia chipset. I would love to see something happening like this. Not only that, but it gives consumers options, so that they choose to go crossfire or SLI in case one of them wanted to switch around. Saves money as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post
Intel and Nvidia hate each other, yet Intel has a chipset that supports both.
See less See more
Why would Intel and Nvidia hate each other?

One makes processors and once makes graphics card.

What.. Are they hating over integrated GPU?
Quote:

Originally Posted by myresolution_72
View Post

Why would Intel and Nvidia hate each other?

One makes processors and once makes graphics card.

What.. Are they hating over integrated GPU?

Intel and NVIDIA openly hate each other. Intel is developing Larrabee which will become discrete video. NVIDIA has developed Tegra which is an ARM processor which competes against Intel's target of portable systems. The two companies have been at each other's throats for the last 2 years...
See less See more
I very much doubt this will happen. Nvidia, has, as far as I have heard stopped producing chipsets for AMD cpu's.
Only MSI have Nvidia based motherboards that support DDR3, and they are the 2 year old 750a and 780/980a chipsets!

The only way I see AMD supporting SLI on their next motherboards is by buying the NF200 chip off Nvidia for them.
My problem is, I may wanna switch to AMD sometime next year, but I want the ability to switch from ATI to Nvidia or vise versa
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=238048

I am confused as to if you are wanting SLI on newer boards or just don't know about the link above
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=238048

I am confused as to if you are wanting SLI on newer boards or just don't know about the link above
Because its a hack that can be blocked, and if I have a SLI setup and it gets blocked, im screwed.
See less See more
Quote:

Is this even possible w/o a entirely new chipset? Will there be a new chipset in the future that will support SLI and Crossfire?? Will the 800 series chipsets support it?
Well, there's this.
http://www.guru3d.com/news/asrock-en...-motherboard-/
See less See more
Quote:

Because its a hack that can be blocked, and if I have a SLI setup and it gets blocked, im screwed.
It can't be blocked. The worst that could happen is they release an updated driver that borks it, in which case you'd just have to roll back to your previous driver.
See less See more
Not to be bias, but what about AMD systems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

Well, there's this.

See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Intel and NVIDIA openly hate each other. Intel is developing Larrabee which will become discrete video. NVIDIA has developed Tegra which is an ARM processor which competes against Intel's target of portable systems. The two companies have been at each other's throats for the last 2 years...

where are you getting ur infos?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

Well, there's this.

how bout the other way around, cause amd boards are alot cheaper
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222
View Post

Yes
-> HERE
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by epitek
View Post

Yes
-> HERE

I don't understand :O
See less See more
No, SLi would work on any board, it's just that nVidia is for profits and not for progress and blackmarks chipsets in the drivers. Crossfire works on any motherboard, except nVidia's where they specifically blackmark Crossfire. nVidia is the problem, not anyone else.
Ever since AMD bought ATI NVIDIA pretty much showed them the cold shoulder, because back then NVIDIA was producing a lot of chipsets for AMD.

I doubt NVIDIA would allow SLI to be supported on AMD chipsets, unless if AMD was just as powerful as Intel, well, Intel had to pull a 180 on NVIDIA to allow SLI support on X58/P55 because they had the power.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.