Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a PC for optical purposes with an AM4 setup. My plan is to get an AMD A8-9600 and a micro board along with 3x BD ODD. I would really like to upgrade the CPU to a Zen+Vega APUs when the arrive. Is there any reference to these chips working in b3xx?. I do prefer to build the system now though.I've already got all of the other components except for CPU+MB.

Looking for a motherboard recommendation based on the following:
  • Overclocking support, b350
  • Max budget of ~80-90$
  • Minimum 4 SATA ports
  • Buy from Newegg

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,141 Posts
If you can go ITX the GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming actually has a better VRM then most if not all mATX and ITX options. Not that the others won't be able to handle a 65w-35w APU. But Its something to consider.

As far as mATX options I would have to recommend the GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 or the Biostar GT3 both have the same VRM basically and should be good overclockers. But the gigabyte board has 6 sata ports so that would be my pick.

What board i really like is the upcoming Asus TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING but Asus seems to be taking forever to bring it out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 or the Biostar GT3 both have the same VRM basically and should be good overclockers. But the gigabyte board has 6 sata ports so that would be my pick....
If using a pcie-x4 NVME drive with an AB350M Gaming 3 all you'll have available are 4 SATA ports without crippling the NVME.

Also, while the Gaming 3 does overclock at least as well as other mATX boards (which doesn't say much) you have to be willing to set VCore up in the 1.45-1.5V area and trust it's actually lower at the socket. There's no voltage sensors that work with any utilities to gauge Vdroop and no LLC; so get ready with steady hands and a decent digital multimeter.

And lastly: Gigabyte's support has been ragged at best. A cludgey BIOS with slow updates and sometimes serious errors, soft bricking and spotty performance mainly. I think the development team has been focused on their cash cows, which would be (most any new) Intel boards and their top-tier x370 boards.

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plans changed. I settled on using my 6600k pc for this purpose for the moment. It will still be onteresting to see the new APUs though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts