Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://blog.amahi.org/2009/12/08/ama...-the-holidays/

Quote:
The anticipation has been building and you guessed it from the title: Amahi 5.0 is here!

Simultaneously, we are very happy to announce:
  • A partnership with a leading cloud VPS provider, RimuHosting!
  • A beta service tailored to Amahi users, the Amahi Custom DNS!
(In case you weren't aware, Amahi is the "competition" for Windows Home Server which, interestingly enough, has a lot more features.)

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

This is interesting. Do you have more info on it Error10? I haven't heard of this OS yet.

The rules say to not quote the entire article, so if you click through the provided link, you'll get all the details.

EDIT: I forgot, see also the Amahi homepage.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
They had me at free DNS. I know there are other ways to get it, but I don't care for the DynDNS client I'm using right now.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by opty165
View Post

so is this worth getting? it looks cool and all

I've tried it out. I would definitely recommend it, especially to anybody who's had problems with WHS.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well I read through the article linked and i'm surfing their main site.

This looks really cool!

I'm considering throwing this on a VM on my Server at home to just get in and look around a bit to see what all it can do and how it does it.

To the OP, can you list some of the things you use this for? Just interested in some of the things you've used it for.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by citat3962 View Post
Well I read through the article linked and i'm surfing their main site.

This looks really cool!

I'm considering throwing this on a VM on my Server at home to just get in and look around a bit to see what all it can do and how it does it.

To the OP, can you list some of the things you use this for? Just interested in some of the things you've used it for.
I personally run full-fledged servers on the Internet and put things together myself. Even do this at home just to stay in practice.

What Amahi does well is to package nice applications by the hundreds in an easily accessible way, already pre-patched for home users. Like a private home wiki that bears a striking resemblance to Wikipedia because it's virtually the same software. And, as is typical with Linux, any particular thing you can think of usually has 3 or 4 choices of how you want to go about it.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Pr0fess0r View Post
I am currently running a WHS and I am really considering switching to Amahi. The only thing that is really causing me to hesitate is with my WHS I am able to use online backup solutions such as KeepVault to have an online backup of my files as well.

Are there applications in Amahi that will accomplish this?
So you want to backup to the server, and then backup the server offsite? I did see a forum post about this.

Generally I would think a RAID1 or RAID5 would be sufficient, especially since Amahi gives you a nice VPN and DNS to access your server from anywhere. Probably not much help if the house burns down, so keep your kids away from open flame.

(You probably wouldn't like how I backup MY Linux boxes.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts