Overclock.net banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Iconoclast
34,121 Posts
Still

Looks like prices are coming down quickly this 2060 12Gb model is now $239.99 directly from evga's site.
Still expect them to fall a bit more before they bottom out.

That 12GiB 2060 isn't a bad deal, mostly because there are a few modern games that will piss away VRAM like no tomorrow even on relatively conservative settings, but most of the other parts are going to have stiff competition from the second hand market; stiff competition from AMD parts that have fallen in price faster and offer more performance per dollar for anything that doesn't involve ray tracing (which is a purely token feature, IMO, on anything short of a 3080); or are still priced so high that many of those looking at them will be tempted by the upcoming generation of parts.

I also note that the 3080s are conspicuously absent from EVGA's sale. Must not have gotten a fresh GA102-220-A1 batch yet.

Beats buying something else used that was mined on.
Among the things a GPU can be used for, mining is usually at the lower-end of the stress and wear-and-tear spectra, except when it comes to their cooling fans.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Still
Among the things a GPU can be used for, mining is usually at the lower-end of the stress and wear-and-tear spectra, except when it comes to their cooling fans.
Assuming every miner knows what they are doing then yes. Plenty of armature miners out there not concerned about voltage or temps. They definitely don't care if a card last 5 years or more. Get a year or 2 out of and the ROI is there. I'd pay a little more for a new GPU myself.

· POWER LURKER
1,138 Posts
I was wondering what pricing trends of x80 / xx80 cards have been on release over the years and get a better frame of reference outside the 2020-2022 chaos.

Thankfully Cash081 on reddit has already done the work in ~2019 and thought I would share. This obviously excludes 2020's chaos, so this is a good look at what "normal" is. ($659 2019 -> $763 today)

RTX 3080 mythical release price of $699 would have been spot on.
Makes sense why I don't buy x80/xx80 cards, they are simply out of my budget except the good old 480/580/680 days.

Font Screenshot Number Electric blue Parallel

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon
21 - 24 of 24 Posts