Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The amazon music ecosystem is a hard nut to crack. If you thought the Apple ecosystem was bad or too restrictive, strap yourself in and let's prepare ourselves for a rollercoaster ride!
Amazon music has three tiers:
1. Amazon Music Unlimited Standard (up to 320 kbps)
2. amazon Music Unlimited high Definition (CD quality a.k.a. 16 bit 44.1Khz)
3. amazon music Unlimited Ultra HD (24 bit 192 Khz)

Let's talk about what the problem is. amazon uses the term "Amazon music unlimited" and "Amzon Music" as umbrella terms on plenty of product advertisements without specifying which tier of music unlimited the products support. There are a number of streaming devices on the market that will not stream the HD or ultra HD tier, and instead can only stream Standard tier.
Then there are amazon's own devices like the Echo show that will not even stream their own HD or Ultra HD! Consumers are not even aware of this fact and are paying for amazon Music HD and do not even realize they are only listening to the standard tier.
Still other Amazon devices such as the Echo Link and Echo Link amp are locked at the HD tier and cannot receive the Ultra HD tier.

There are so many caveats with what devices can stream which tier it will leave you confused and wondering if it's intentional.
Here's an example of what I mean. A google search clearly says "Is amazon music HD supported on Chromecast" to which the reply only mentions amazon Music.
So, which tier is it!?
Rectangle Font Circle Number Screenshot

Here's another example. The reddit question clearly say amazon music HD but the answer is only about Amazon music. Again, which tier??
Purple Rectangle Font Violet Circle

· Registered
488 Posts
The amazon music ecosystem is a hard nut to crack. If you thought the Apple ecosystem was bad or too restrictive, strap yourself in and let's prepare ourselves for a rollercoaster ride!
Amazon music has three tiers:
1. Amazon Music Unlimited Standard (up to 320 kbps)
2. amazon Music Unlimited high Definition (CD quality a.k.a. 16 bit 44.1Khz)
3. amazon music Unlimited Ultra HD (24 bit 192 Khz)

Let's talk about what the problem is. amazon uses the term "Amazon music unlimited" and "Amzon Music" as umbrella terms on plenty of product advertisements without specifying which tier of music unlimited the products support. There are a number of streaming devices on the market that will not stream the HD or ultra HD tier, and instead can only stream Standard tier.
Then there are amazon's own devices like the Echo show that will not even stream their own HD or Ultra HD! Consumers are not even aware of this fact and are paying for amazon Music HD and do not even realize they are only listening to the standard tier.
Still other Amazon devices such as the Echo Link and Echo Link amp are locked at the HD tier and cannot receive the Ultra HD tier.

There are so many caveats with what devices can stream which tier it will leave you confused and wondering if it's intentional.
Here's an example of what I mean. A google search clearly says "Is amazon music HD supported on Chromecast" to which the reply only mentions amazon Music.
So, which tier is it!?

Here's another example. The reddit question clearly say amazon music HD but the answer is only about Amazon music. Again, which tier??
When casting, it doesn't matter, since you will never achieve peak quality.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently using the Amazon Music HD app on my Fire TV which is connected to my receiver using the optical output. Getting 16 bit/ 44.1 Khz, but I was disappointed to discover that the Alexa app on my phone cannot cast to the Amazon music app on the TV. The ironic thing is that even the Spotify app on an android phone can connect to the tv to stream to an external amp. Now I'm debating whether to just get the new Wiim Pro streamer that can do it all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts