Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Syntha-6 is alright, but even with the discount, there are better options out there that have less fat, calories, more servings per 5lbs and are easier to mix without a blender. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is one of them.

$15 is certainly not a bad deal though

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Yep...the deal is dead.

Saw the same deal on SD (which is the origin of the deal posted).

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
anyone recommend anything else? What do you guys think of Muscle Milk?

I know a friend that can make a mean MM shake..tastes just like something out of jamba juice but with 100x more protein.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

I'd personally shy away from muscle milk. It tastes great but has a really high fat content to use consistently IMO so unless you're working out hardcore it won't be as effective. My recommendation, and I've been through many different protein brands, is either 100% Whey Gold Standard whey or Cell Tech, which is more expensive.

http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/v...idproduct=4909

supplementwarehouse.com is a great site b/c they price match both price and shipping with a 10% discount.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLJS54
View Post

Syntha-6 is alright, but even with the discount, there are better options out there that have less fat, calories, more servings per 5lbs and are easier to mix without a blender. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is one of them.

Two different formulas for two different usages/target audience. When looking at the absolute bottom line of bang for buck in terms of protein content, of course, any whey protein powder will win out as that is the purpose of the formula. Syntha-6 is designed for a different usage. See below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ez12a
View Post

I know a friend that can make a mean MM shake..tastes just like something out of jamba juice but with 100x more protein.

Syntha-6 and Muscle Milk are in the same category of supplements. These formulas are made to have a mix of different types of protein to take advantage of varying ratios of amino acids and absorption rates. They are also complimented with a higher fat content and (in recent years) fiber to help slow down absorption so that you get the satisfaction of it being like a meal replacement.

I think these formulas have their place in a proper diet and exercise program. Personally, I love both brands. I have not found a bad flavor from either company and that is saying a lot considering the amount of different protein powders that I have used over the years.

If you want a no frills, bare minimum protein powder where you want to blend your own smoothie mixes, any whey protein powder would do - with vanilla would be the preferable flavor of choice. However, if you want to make a killer peanut butter cup smoothie, then chocolate whey protein and a tablespoon or two of natural peanut butter is killer.
And if chocolate is your thing, I have recently come to fall in love with the flavoring of Champion Nutrition's Pure Whey. This is coming from a guy who has used just about every major brand of whey protein. It costs slightly more than Optimum Nutrition's brand, but for the better taste, I'll glad pay the extra few dollars for it.

If you want the convenience of mixing a simple powder even in just plain cold water, you cannot go wrong with Syntha-6 or Muscle Milk. For Syntha-6, vanilla is my favorite, and blueberries n' creme would be at the top of my list in the Muscle Milk lineup. Of course, tastes will vary but like I said, it's hard to find any bad flavor.

Quote:

View Post

I'd personally shy away from muscle milk. It tastes great but has a really high fat content to use consistently IMO so unless you're working out hardcore it won't be as effective. My recommendation, and I've been through many different protein brands, is either 100% Whey Gold Standard whey or Cell Tech, which is more expensive.

http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/v...idproduct=4909

supplementwarehouse.com is a great site b/c they price match both price and shipping with a 10% discount.

Again, Muscle Milk has its place. The most important thing to keep in mind is that these supplements only compliment your diet and exercise program. I've been able to lose bodyfat just fine even with Muscle Milk and similar formulas in my diet considering that the rest of my diet was spot on. I'm actually making great progress now with Syntha-6 shakes in my diet almost every day that I'm at work - granted that it does help working in the supplement industry.

Regarding your Cell Tech comment, maybe you meant Nitro Tech? Cell Tech is a completely different product altogether...

I usually buy my supplements from 1fast400.com (or bulknutrition.com - same site), dpsnutrition.net, bodybuilding.com, or just walk into a nearby Vitamin Shoppe. Shopping around between each site or location, you'll be able to find the better deals from each place if you're not in a hurry for anything.

Sorry for going on a tirade about this stuff. This happens to be one of my other major interests!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Quote:

View Post

dude I used to use ON 100% Whey and now switched over to Dymatized Elite 12hour Protein fudge brownie...its the best tasting protein I've had so far I feel like I'm cheating when I drink a serving of it
...tried them all(Muscle Milk, ON Whey, GNC Brand, Vitamin Shoppe Brand, Syntha-6, Serious Mass). But yeah theres much better protein out there, I'm sold on Dymatized though.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swifterzor View Post
Muscle milk is ok, but to reiterate what has already been said, it has too much fat for a PROTEIN powder.
If Muscle Milk were just a regular protein powder like ON's 100% Whey I would agree with you. However, the formula is targeted for other purposes. The other protein powders that Cytosport makes, such as their own 100% Whey, are what competes with ON and other brands.

Everyone who has been complaining about the fat content in Muscle Milk and Syntha-6 should really look up what Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) are. While they are structurally similar to saturated fats, the body does not necessarily handle them as such.

Sure, if your diet consists of pizza and soda and you plan to blend Muscle Milk or Syntha-6 with ice cream, it may not be the most ideal usage of supplements if your goal is fat loss. However in a proper fat loss program where diet and exercise are spot on, even these two protein formulas can have their place, let alone a full blown bulking program.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts