Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get one for about $100, is it worth the price? i dont really have any experience with amd so i was just wondering if its worth the $100, how would this compare to my i5 750 in terms of speed and overclocking ability?

I am currently considering making an amd build although i will be buying parts over a longer period of time, seeing as these sell for $170 (correct me if wrong) i might make this the first purchase...

well i guess any opinions/thoughts on the chip are welcome....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1. Buy it.
2. Sell it with your i5 750 with small profit.
3. Buy i5 2500K
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!

You really wont notice much difference from i5 750 except in rendering and stuff that takes use of all cores, it's slower in single threaded programs, but only a little. It overclocks great though.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
hey man the answer to that question really depends on who you're buying it from. USED CPU for all you know its missing or has bent pins or grossly overheated or was run highly OCed for the last 6 months.

I'm super wary about buying used CPUs/HDDs/MOBOs and generally think it to be a bad idea.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienguts;13146275
hey man the answer to that question really depends on who you're buying it from. USED CPU for all you know its missing or has bent pins or grossly overheated or was run highly OCed for the last 6 months.

I'm super wary about buying used CPUs/HDDs/MOBOs and generally think it to be a bad idea.
new and un-used chip for $100, should have mentioned that i guess.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiles;13146328
new and un-used chip for $100, should have mentioned that i guess.
new and un-used for $100? unlikely story! where from?

I'll buy it if you don't want to. I have an extra AM3 board I would be happy to quip out with a hexacore.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
The 1055t is a great chip. I use mine for photo editing and some gaming, and it flies through all my tasks. Exporting 15MP RAW files into JPEGs from my DSLR takes seconds with each photo. Mild OC to 3.4 GHz (and that's without pushing it anywhere close to its limits) with a small VCore bump to 1.35V on stock cooler and runs perfectly fine.

I've never had an i5/i7 before, but coming from a Q9550 I'm very happy, especially for the price I paid for it ($140).

That said, $100 for a new chip looks extremely suspicious and has my scam alarms going off.

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienguts;13146369
new and un-used for $100? unlikely story! where from?

I'll buy it if you don't want to. I have an extra AM3 board I would be happy to quip out with a hexacore.
^ lol "Don't buy it....wait I want it!" Grab it and have fun with it,get familiar with overclocking AMD's,then when Bulldozer comes out you will have a system ready for it.

·

13,017 Posts
For $100 it's worth it for sure. Your chip is better in terms of overall gaming. The 1055T will be best in the rendering department.

I would buy it for $100 in a snap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz;13146394
^ lol "Don't buy it....wait I want it!" Grab it and have fun with it,get familiar with overclocking AMD's,then when Bulldozer comes out you will have a system ready for it.
paraphrased like a middle schooler. did you skip English 101 or just trollin'?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d;13146388
The 1055t is a great chip. I use mine for photo editing and some gaming, and it flies through all my tasks. Exporting 15MP RAW files into JPEGs from my DSLR takes seconds with each photo. Mild OC to 3.4 GHz (and that's without pushing it anywhere close to its limits) with a small VCore bump to 1.35V on stock cooler and runs perfectly fine.

I've never had an i5/i7 before, but coming from a Q9550 I'm very happy, especially for the price I paid for it ($140).

That said, $100 for a new chip looks extremely suspicious and has my scam alarms going off.
was thinking along the same lines after seeing normal sale price for these, if anything i'll make the trip to see the chip before buying it (hoping it hasn't been opened), if it happens to be bad somehow im only out $2.50 for the bus trip.

sent an email will have to wait for reply, might have to call the person though.

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienguts;13146474
paraphrased like a middle schooler. did you skip English 101 or just trollin'?
No,but I am now...happy? Take it easy dude,didn't mean to ruffle your panties.It was a joke.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz;13146540
No,but I am now...happy? Take it easy dude-didn't mean to ruffle your panties.It was a joke.
rolleyes.gif
obviously I'm highly offended. so now you can dish it out but can't take it?
wink.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts