Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my current system, AMD Athlin XP 1800+ GEForce 4400 Ti 128mb DDR RAM, 512 DDR 2700 RAM, IWILL motherboard, Maxtor 7200rpm 60GB 8mb buffer HD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS.

I recently bought World Of Warcraft and have been getting really poor framerates.
I ran 3DMARK and scored 1552 on my baseline test. Then I upped the vid card speeds to 300 / 635 mhz and scored a 1664. I am planning to also purchase another 512mb of DDR 2700 RAM but am interested in upping the speed on my main processer.

How can I best overclock my main processor safely? I would rather not have to resort to elaborate cooling methods. What program should I use to overclock my processor?

Should I bother playing with the memory voltages and settings? So far I have not really played with these settings.

Lastly what are the safe limits of my system speeds/settings that I can reach WITHOUT going to extreme cooling methods?

I would greatly appreciate any info u all can provide.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
well hello mister "UnlimitedBear"
that is what your name translates to

well what is your FSB speed if it 166 you can maybe push your FSB to 181 before your memory holds you back... if you are going to upgrade in the future i recomend some faster ramm like 3200 would be sufficient for a good overclock on air cooling... then get an tt tower112 or some other descent HSF and then push it up a little... im not up on specifics for the newer amd procs but there are people who can help you with it here... there just too busy to reply to your thread at the moment...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info

Actually my name translates to UnlimedDevil. Kuma is bear in Japanese , but u were very close

So 3200 RAM would be great but considering my IWILL 333XPR motherboard I think I can only use DDR2700 RAM right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

well hello mister "UnlimitedBear"
that is what your name translates to

well what is your FSB speed if it 166 you can maybe push your FSB to 181 before your memory holds you back... if you are going to upgrade in the future i recomend some faster ramm like 3200 would be sufficient for a good overclock on air cooling... then get an tt tower112 or some other descent HSF and then push it up a little... im not up on specifics for the newer amd procs but there are people who can help you with it here... there just too busy to reply to your thread at the moment...

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A few things
1 If you are using XP check your monitor in Display Properties/Settings/Advanced and see if its listed Plug and Play. If so find the driver because it will cost FPS as an PnP.
2 You should up your AGP Apeture in the BIOS once you increase your RAM. Get the other 512 and up it to 512megs.
3. If your board (I don't know it) allows FSB, CPU voltage, RAM voltage and multiplyer adjustments you need a good FHS to do it or you will overheat the CPU. Keep the load temps of the CPU below the mid 50c range. A good inexpensive FHS, Thermaltake Volcano 12 and have good in and oput air flow. More in than out is best.
Oh, BTW, if splurging and getting a pair of good DDR3200 and your board wont support it don't wory, it will work fine and you can always use it in many newer boards when you upgrade. Go for the good stuff if you don't mind the cost and keep in mind not to buy CAS3, get CAS 2 or CAS 2.5. Also if you decide to get the 2nd 512 dwnload CPU-Z @ www.cpuid to see what CAS and other settings your Memeory is currently. examp, If you have 512 of CAS 2.5 x.x.x. (you will see the timing specs when you get CPU-Z) get something simular or slightly faster but best to keep the CAS# the same. If the new RAM is slower than what you have it will slow down the other stick of RAM. The higher the numbers the slower the RAM timings.

• Rep+
Reactions: Mugenakuma

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Thanks for the great info Duke. I will change my display driver for sure.

2. In the bios from what i remember I can only set it to 256mb and no higher, which is what its set at.

3. As far as cooling setups I definitely need to do something since my temps are in the mid 50's now. So I get most of what u recommend but what does FHS stand for?

I just found out I have CAS 2.0 memory set at 132.7mhz. So the new 512 stick i get should be 2.0 also right? If I get a faster stick of RAM what numbers should I look for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

A few things
1 If you are using XP check your monitor in Display Properties/Settings/Advanced and see if its listed Plug and Play. If so find the driver because it will cost FPS as an PnP.
2 You should up your AGP Apeture in the BIOS once you increase your RAM. Get the other 512 and up it to 512megs.
3. If your board (I don't know it) allows FSB, CPU voltage, RAM voltage and multiplyer adjustments you need a good FHS to do it or you will overheat the CPU. Keep the load temps of the CPU below the mid 50c range. A good inexpensive FHS, Thermaltake Volcano 12 and have good in and oput air flow. More in than out is best.
Oh, BTW, if splurging and getting a pair of good DDR3200 and your board wont support it don't wory, it will work fine and you can always use it in many newer boards when you upgrade. Go for the good stuff if you don't mind the cost and keep in mind not to buy CAS3, get CAS 2 or CAS 2.5. Also if you decide to get the 2nd 512 dwnload CPU-Z @ www.cpuid to see what CAS and other settings your Memeory is currently. examp, If you have 512 of CAS 2.5 x.x.x. (you will see the timing specs when you get CPU-Z) get something simular or slightly faster but best to keep the CAS# the same. If the new RAM is slower than what you have it will slow down the other stick of RAM. The higher the numbers the slower the RAM timings.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugenakuma

1. Thanks for the great info Duke. I will change my display driver for sure.

2. In the bios from what i remember I can only set it to 256mb and no higher, which is what its set at.

3. As far as cooling setups I definitely need to do something since my temps are in the mid 50's now. So I get most of what u recommend but what does FHS stand for?

I just found out I have CAS 2.0 memory set at 132.7mhz. So the new 512 stick i get should be 2.0 also right? If I get a faster stick of RAM what numbers should I look for?

FHS = Fan Heat Sink

And yeah, when you get your new ram you should look for CAS 2.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugenakuma

So a thermaltake Volcano 12 would be a good replacement FHS correct?

Also how good are thermaltake cases?

Yeah, the Thermaltake Volcano 12 is a really good HSF (Correction, not FSH, I typed it wrong too
) I believe it's the best heatsink 30 dollars can buy, it's kind of loud, but comes with a fan controller so you can adjust the fan speed to whatever you need.

Read the thread in the following link, it will help you understand the posts alot better.

http://overclock.net/showthread.php?t=6410

BTW: WELCOME TO OVERCLOCK.NET!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i spent all day trying to find CAS 2.0 memory for under $120. Most stores couldnt even tell me wat CAS the memory was! It wasnt even printed on the boxes.

Anyway before I go spend $100 on more 2.0 memory I want to be sure I have 2.0 RAM. Attached are two screenshots I took with cpuz.
On one screen it shows two different latencys at two different MHZ speeds so this confused me. By looking at these pics what memory do I have?

Lastly if I were to go with a 2.5 memory stick would the difference in speed effect my game FPS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts