Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wel this is not my pc but my frend has askt me to fix his pc but i tried everything and still dont know were the problem come's from so i hoped you guys could help me out.

so this is my story the biggest problem is that when windows xp loads it hangs alot of times so i need to reboot the pc.

The next problem is the CPU is at 71 C idle i cheked the harddrive first with CHKDSK no damages (just as i suspected)

then i checked the memory by switching the 2 memorys (2x256) but still the problem staid so it must be or the MOBO CPU OR PSU is there a way to now which one is the problem maker
(i also felt the cpu with my hands but it didnt feel like 71 C) could be sensor :S

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Some things to consider.
The temp could be your issue. 70c + is getting up there!

The BIOS should give you a good idea of the voltages, 3.3, 5, and 12. 5% varation is acceptable. Soundl like a weak rail but could be other issues.

It's probably not software related, but a Knoppix Live CD is handy to test with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes its indeed a amd athlon xp but i still think its the sensor because the fan is at 4800 rpm and when i felt the cpu with my hands it wasnt that hot.

but he weird thing in the bios is that it doent give me the -5V it says NA which meens not availebel i think.

i saw the voltages with speedfan and it says the -5V is 3V.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Have you tested the memory with MEMTEST? If not, this is the way to go, it's the only soft that really finds memory errors if they exist.

The fact that the -5V is @3V is not a concern. You should pay attention to the +3.3V, +5V and +12V, the others don't really matter. If you have a multimeter try to measure the +5V and +12V rails from the molex connector as it's a lot more acurate than the BIOS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts