Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told that 50 c is ok for a amd 2500+ on normal idel???? I want to play Ut2004 and farcry and all those high end games Iam runnin 2500+ cpu gigabyte kn400 pro2 mobo 512 ram radeon 9800 pro vid and i still get some glichin ??? should i OC cpu or buy more ram??

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I dont think that board is the best for OCing...but you may be able to get a little more out of it if you upgrade your cooling.

50 degrees C idle is appauling, you gotta do something about that in order to move ahead.

UT2k4 should run fine if you keep things cool...I dont glitch with a 9600...so your 9800 should blow me away.

I noticed the board doesnt allow you to choose 8x AGP...but it seems to detect and run at that speed. In bios, it only allows 2x and 4x AGP...which is disturbing, but CPUID says the AGP is running at 8x. (what a pain in the...)

The board you have is a good stable board, which should allow for some OCing...but it won't let you do too much.

More ram may not cure you're problem, although it may help. I've gamed with 512 on that board, its not bad, didnt notice a huge difference (in games) with going up to 1024.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i have asked this before on my other post but what should i upgarde too ??? antec cooling ?? or somthin ells i was told mabe to put some artic 5 paste on and when i called the same place i got my cpu and mobo put in my tower he told me that 50c is ok AMD is stable all the way to 70c ??? is this right also he told me that i would be able to clock to a 3000+ easly with my board is this true ???

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidvirus

I know i have asked this before on my other post but what should i upgarde too ??? antec cooling ?? or somthin ells i was told mabe to put some artic 5 paste on and when i called the same place i got my cpu and mobo put in my tower he told me that 50c is ok AMD is stable all the way to 70c ??? is this right also he told me that i would be able to clock to a 3000+ easly with my board is this true ???

He is right, in some aspects, but his terminology is not correct.

AMD's max on-die temperature ranges between 70-85degC depening on what type of processor you have.

You DO NOT want any AMD to have a MEASURED temperatue of more than 60 at LOAD. The reason I say this is that a measured temperatue is not ON-DIE. On-die temps are hotter than measured temps.

Idling at 50degC is not what a stock AMD should do...ever. not even in a laptop.

If you want to the best in air cooling, get a thermalright SI-97 (if they are avilable) and a good 92mm fan for it.

There are many good ones, but thermalright, thermaltake, zalman, and even coolermaster seem to be the better performers.

If you are familiar with it, you should try reapplying some thermal compound to the die of the CPU. Meaning, take off the current heatsink, clean off the existing compound. Apply a B-B sized dot to the middle of the CPU die, then press the heatsink onto the cpu straight down.

You may buy AS5, or even user less expensive comound for now (any compusa...or computer store should carry generic compound)

9/10 times the amount of compound (or lack thereof) is the reason idle temps are so high.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts