Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my ram is at 200mhz, but my CPU FSB is 1ghz. How in the world are those two supposed to be synced? I am confused, because someone told me that in order for your ram and cpu to work together, the ram and cpu fsb must be at the same frequency. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Your HTT bus is running at 1000 ghz and is bi-directional, which means it can recieve and send 1000 mhz of bandwidth per cycle, so effective htt is 2000 mhz. You cpu fsb is 200. Your HTT multiplier is x5, so 200x5=1000. Also 200 x what ever your cpu multi is will give you your clock speed. So don't worry about the htt, just keep your fsb 1:1 with the memory. Just don't use a divider on your memory and it will stay 1:1.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos

OK, my ram is at 200mhz, but my CPU FSB is 1ghz. How in the world are those two supposed to be synced? I am confused, because someone told me that in order for your ram and cpu to work together, the ram and cpu fsb must be at the same frequency. Is this true?

You're confusing the terms here. The 1000Mhz figure is your Hypertransport or HTT which has replaced the FSB on new AMD models. This is calculated as your HT(FSB)*HT multiplier (stock setting 200*5)
Your Ram speed is equal to the HT speed (ie. at stock 200Mhz) on a 1:1 divider.
Your CPU speed is the HT*CPU Multiplier.

Nothing needs to be in-sync, so don't worry about that and everything will work off the HT setting and be multiplied or divided appropriately.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks guys! But in my RAM timings, it says FSB
RAM, and that value is CPU/11, what in the world does that mean? Is that good? Also, when I tightened my timings, the ram frequency went back to normal (at stock timings, it was only at 170mhz, and should be at 200mhz. I also increased the burst length to 8, when it was 4).

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Ok, thanks guys! But in my RAM timings, it says FSB
RAM, and that value is CPU/11, what in the world does that mean? Is that good? Also, when I tightened my timings, the ram frequency went back to normal (at stock timings, it was only at 170mhz, and should be at 200mhz. I also increased the burst length to 8, when it was 4).

I think it's a very odd way of saying you're on a 1:1 divider. Your CPU is 2.2Ghz and has an 11 multiplier, so 11/11=1/1. See if changing that lowers your ram speed.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See if changing my multiplyer changes my ram speed?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

See if changing my multiplyer changes my ram speed?

No, the value CPU/11

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, sorry, it said that in the ram timings section of CPU-z, idk where that is in bios.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Oh, sorry, it said that in the ram timings section of CPU-z, idk where that is in bios.

Okay, yes that would mean you're on a 1:1 divider then. No idea where to go in a Biostar mobo. Look for Dram settings and see if there's something like memclock or 200Mhz, 400Mhz settings, something like that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The CPU/11 reading in CPUZ means that you are running no divider on your memory 1:1.
An easy way to think of it is this, the (11) is your cpu multi in your bios...so no matter what multi you are using 11, 10, 9.....your cpuz should match that if you aren't running a divider.
If you are running 300x9, and no divider, your CPUZ should show CPU/9
Or if you really want to get technical, CPU/11 means this.....CPU=cpu speed....divided by 11 = memory speed.
so if you are running 273 x 11 = 3,000mhz, divide by 11 = 273mhz on your memory.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, my ram goes up to 200mhz. I should just leave all my ram stuff in bios alone right?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

So, my ram goes up to 200mhz. I should just leave all my ram stuff in bios alone right?

No, those are all your timings. They'll need setup to get the best out of the system. Just a case of trying out what works really. In particular, you'll need to setup a lower divider on your ram to test how quick you can get your CPU. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading the AMD Overclocking guide on the Home Page. This should help you with what you need to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts