Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new comp with price as a serious factor and went with socket 754 because of that. Was this a bad choice on my part. I am aware that 939 is better but is 754 all that hideous... people on other forums are making it to sound that way...

·
Registered
56 Posts
much less than 10% difference; ive read it was approximately 5%.

most of the benchmarks ive seen between two equivalent rated, different socketed cpus are practically the same...less than 1% difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to eloborate a bit on this and ask for the same socket etc: Is there much of a difference between the 512 & 1MB Cache? I currently plan to get the 3400+ 1MB Cache but it went out of stock on me so since I am not ordering ASAP I will either hold out for the 3400+ or just get the 512.

Thanks,

Late

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The 1MB of L2 will be very beneficial in just about every application you run on your computer.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
People have over rated socket 939/940 because of the SLI factor... But in gaming having SLI is the only thing that makes it faster.

If you had a 754 and a 939 with the same components or very similar components and not using SLI you would find it would be about 2 to 3 FPS faster in Doom3 and maybe about 2% 3% faster in encoding a movie.

SLI would give you a jump of about 10 to 15 FPS over the single card depending on what res you set.

Its a much better deal to get 754 and get a decent CPU and overclock.

All the people banging on about 939 being WAY faster dont really know what their talking about.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jeckyl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts