Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know. What AMD cpu equals the same as whatever P4.

Don't know what I mean?

Well, I want to know that if I were to buy an AMD Athlon 64 +4000. Which P4 will it equal up to? 530? 540. Which one.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Typically a 2.2ghz amd is considered equal to a 3.2ghz p4...

However when it comes down to gaming...
The 2.0ghz amd RAPES the 3.8ghz p4...

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330

The 3.8intel is only capable of outperforming the 1.8ghz amd 64 in gaming.

edit: oh ya, the AMD does 9 cycles per clock (or clocks per cycle, maybe I have it backwords) and a intel does 6 cycles per clock..

So 2.2ghz x 9 = 19.8
3.2ghz x 6 = 19.2....
Thats why a amd 2.2 is labled as a 3200, since it does the same work as a p4 3.2...

I have no idea how fast a amd 4000+ is, but lets just say it was 2.6ghz, that would be equal to a 3.9ghz p4... TECHNICALLY, but in gaming, im sure the AMD would outperform it...

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Typically a 2.2ghz amd is considered equal to a 3.2ghz p4...

However when it comes down to gaming...
The 2.0ghz amd RAPES the 3.8ghz p4...

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330

The 3.8intel is only capable of outperforming the 1.8ghz amd 64 in gaming.
I see. Wow. thnx for that link. Only one problem. how the hell is the 4000+ outperforming the FX-55? (in some levels)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource
I see. Wow. thnx for that link. Only one problem. how the hell is the 4000+ outperforming the FX-55? (in some levels)
I have no idea.. Although if you look its onyl in the first test, and its EXTREMLY close... but in the other tests the FX is a pretty good bit higher

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I have no idea.. Although if you look its onyl in the first test, and its EXTREMLY close... but in the other tests the FX is a pretty good bit higher
yep. ur right.

anybody else got any inputs??? (i guess not because if you just saw those benchmarks INTEL GOT OWNED!!!)

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
sure the performance is bad, in those particular benchmarks... but those dont control every other aspect of computing by far

so far, there isnt always a clear definition of "this" AMD processor equaling "that" Intel processor... AMDs labelling scheme is a general guide tho... 3200+ = 3.2 ghz, 3400+ = 3.4 ghz, etc... they dont really give any information as to the actual performance tho... youre gonna find vastly different answers from people

·
Registered
965 Posts
well when it comes down to gaming, from what I hear from pretty much EVERYONE (intel and amd fans) is that AMD rapes...

And for multitasking, or just using windows/not gaming.. intel pulls ahead..

I'l just stick with AMD since my 1.4ghz p4 does windows and none games with PLENTY of speed, and the only reason im getting a new comp is to increase game speeds

Although im a newb on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
thats what my post meant, in those particular gaming benchmarks the AMD is the obvious winner... but that does not mean its a better processor... theres never really 1 processor that is ultimately better than any other... they all have their own advantages and disadvantages, each leading to different uses

intel is great for a plethora of other things such as video editing, audio editing, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

thats what my post meant, in those particular gaming benchmarks the AMD is the obvious winner... but that does not mean its a better processor... theres never really 1 processor that is ultimately better than any other... they all have their own advantages and disadvantages, each leading to different uses

intel is great for a plethora of other things such as video editing, audio editing, etc.

Yea. It makes sense. and thats what i've heard and experienced on my friends computer. so.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource
yep. ur right.

anybody else got any inputs??? (i guess not because if you just saw those benchmarks INTEL GOT OWNED!!!)
Benchmarks flcutuate alot, sometimes when you benchmark back to back with the same computer you'll get a variety of different scores.

Those test are average FPS, so it'll always vary.

·
Registered
386 Posts
lol the amd does 6 cycles and the intel does 9 cycles! jus thought id correct ya :)

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
No, AthlonXPs do 9 floting point operations per clock cycle, Intel Pentium 4s do 6 foating point operations per clock cycle. I'm still unsure as to the number of FPU operations done by Athlon 64s, but because the architecture is very similar and it still has the same number of Floating Point Units, it's most likely still 9.

·
Registered
84 Posts
haaa ths AMD+ATI is the best combo... i feel glad with my X800XT and AMD 64 3200+.. thats how you see you didnt spend that much of money for peanuts lol !!

Don't forget to have fun yall !!!!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
mmmm, lol dat muddled me up, i stand corrected!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts