Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I have a simple question right now, I own a GTX 680 and I just got an offer by someone asking me that he is willling to trade his AMD 6990 for my GTX 680 and I just want to know if its worth it, I want no fanboyism guys please and thanks. I have also seen some benchmarks where the 680 performs up to 2-10 % better then 6990. Should I keep my 680 or Not. I realized the 680 compute performance is horrible also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
I would stick with the 680. They perform about the same, but the 6990 brings multi-GPU problems inherent to both brands. Things like micro-stutter and crossfire/SLI support on release or for non-AAA games. Not to mention, the 680 is cooler, quieter, smaller, and uses less power.
 

·
Tech Enthusiast
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post

I would stick with the 680. They perform about the same, but the 6990 brings multi-GPU problems inherent to both brands. Things like micro-stutter and crossfire/SLI support on release or for non-AAA games. Not to mention, the 680 is cooler, quieter, smaller, and uses less power.
this...absolutely stick with the 680
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
The 6990 would be faster , i dont know where you heard the 680 is faster than a 6990 .

Sorry but thats not true ..

680 is a great card but its not a 6990 ..

It runs quiet , cool and all that but the 6990 would push more frames in desperate situations .

Its basically 2 x 6950's .. 680 is not 2 x faster than a 2GB 6950 ..

thats my 2 cents .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo View Post

The 6990 would be faster , i dont know where you heard the 680 is faster than a 6990 .

Sorry but thats not true ..

680 is a great card but its not a 6990 ..
sure it is. the 680s about 2x as fast as a 580, witch is very similur to a 6970, so since this is just two 6970s on one card i think we can say there going to be close. plus no microshuttering, wider support and lower power use and heat makes the 680 a no brainer
 

·
SpaceStationGaming
Joined
·
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo View Post

The 6990 would be faster , i dont know where you heard the 680 is faster than a 6990 .
Sorry but thats not true ..
680 is a great card but its not a 6990 ..
The GTX 680 trade blows with the 6990 actually in gaming benchmarks. The microstutter issues, heat, power are just not worth it alone to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

sure it is. the 680s about 2x as fast as a 580, witch is very similur to a 6970, so since this is just two 6970s on one card i think we can say there going to be close. plus no microshuttering, wider support and lower power use and heat makes the 680 a no brainer
GTX 680 is not two times as fast as a GTX580...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
GTX 680

Low power, high performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

The GTX 680 trade blows with the 6990 actually in gaming benchmarks. The microstutter issues, heat, power are just not worth it alone to be honest.
GTX 680 is not two times as fast as a GTX580...
Link me to these benchmarks please ..

I know it the 680 is a more modern card , less power , less heat etc etc

But does it overtake the 6990 in performance ? or just trade blows .. In what games are we talking about here ? ones that dont matter

Lets say Battlefield 3 , i personally think the 6990 would be ahead .

I dont believe the 680 is literally 2 x the power of a gtx580 , architecture has never improved so drastically so quick .

I could be way wrong , though i do know the 6990 is a beast in the right hands .. no stuttering for me even on a 6970 xfire setup .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
I quote this from another guy

" Just made the switch from a 6990 to 680 and couldn't be happier. Its quieter, and plays BF3 better(15-25 fps better, no stuttering)

While the 6990 was probably the same or more powerful in most games, I just couldn't put up with waiting for Crossfire profiles on new releases.

You could sell your 6990 now and make an almost even swap for a 680, give or take $20-$100 "
 

·
SpaceStationGaming
Joined
·
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo View Post

Link me to these benchmarks please ..
I know it the 680 is a more modern card , less power , less heat etc etc
But does it overtake the 6990 in performance ? or just trade blows .. In what games are we talking about here ? ones that dont matter
Lets say Battlefield 3 , i personally think the 6990 would be ahead .
I dont believe the 680 is literally 2 x the power of a gtx580 , architecture has never improved so drastically so quick .
BattleField 3 - 6990
Crysis 2 - GTX 680 (Higher Minimum)
Skyrim - GTX 680
Dirt 3 - GTX 680
WoW - GTX 680
Metro 2033 - 6990

I would consider that a little more than trading. You also have to add in the fact that the 6990 has microstutter issues, and AMD IMO just isn't nearly as good with drivers as NVIDIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright Guys I will Keep my 680, the only thing that made me angry was that the cuda video encoding performance is horrible on 680 and sony vegas pro cant render using Cuda.
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishir View Post

Alright Guys I will Keep my 680, the only thing that made me angry was that the cuda video encoding performance is horrible on 680 and sony vegas pro cant render using Cuda.
Good choice. They trade blows, but the 680 does edge out the 6990 in a majority of games...but only by like 3-5 FPS at MOST. The 6990 wins other games by 3-5 FPS as well.

But this is the one stat that kills the 6990, IMO:

700

700

Performance/watt is no contest here. The 6990 is just too power hungry when compared to the top-notch power efficiency of Kepler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

BattleField 3 - 6990
Crysis 2 - GTX 680 (Higher Minimum)
Skyrim - GTX 680
Dirt 3 - GTX 680
WoW - GTX 680
Metro 2033 - 6990
I would consider that a little more than trading. You also have to add in the fact that the 6990 has microstutter issues, and AMD IMO just isn't nearly as good with drivers as NVIDIA.
This , except a 6990 can max out any of those titles anyway ..

680 seems like the way to go then.

I didnt realise how powerful it was to beat the worlds ex fastest dual gpu card .

Is it more powerful ? or just less power consumption ? cos i really couldnt care less for power requirments .

i want to know WHAT IS FASTER .
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo View Post

This , except a 6990 can max out any of those titles anyway ..
680 seems like the way to go then.
I didnt realise how powerful it was to beat the worlds ex fastest dual gpu card .
Is it more powerful ? or just less power consumption ? cos i really couldnt care less for power requirments .
i want to know WHAT IS FASTER .
The 680 is both of those things. At the same time. Because....it's an entirely different architecture. 40nm vs. 28nm...and Nvidia managed to squeeze a lot of power into GK104.

Again, one only needs to look at the power consumption charts above to see exactly how much performance the 680 is putting out per watt. There is not a single instance where I would choose a 6990 over a 680. It doesn't do anything else better.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Xristo

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post

The 680 is both of those things. At the same time. Because....it's an entirely different architecture. 40nm vs. 28nm...and Nvidia managed to squeeze a lot of power into GK104.
Again, one only needs to look at the power consumption charts above to see exactly how much performance the 680 is putting out per watt. There is not a single instance where I would choose a 6990 over a 680. It doesn't do anything else better.
I understand , but in battlefield 3 for instance ..

Which card would pull higher numbers ? regardless of power consumption .

Im runing 2 x 6970's which pull more watts from the wall than any 6990 haha so as you can see it doesnt phase me ..

these new nvidia cards do look amazing though i wish i could afford 2 x 680's cos thats what would be in my setup .

Im not sticking up for the 6990 in anyway shape or form i absolutly love nvidia , im just curious whether its faster than a 6990 in bf3 ultra settings .. cos if it is i take all that silly crap i said back and apologize cos that is a milestone for nvidia to beat out the 6990 with a single gpu in just over a year of its release .
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo View Post

I understand , but in battlefield 3 for instance ..
Which card would pull higher numbers ? regardless of power consumption .
Im runing 2 x 6970's which pull more than 6990 anyway haha so as you can see it doesnt phase me , these new nvidia cards to look amazing though i wish i was rich
redface.gif
In Battlefield 3, the 6990 pulls ahead AT MOST by about 2-3 FPS. But if you're using vsync or just needing 60FPS...they both surpass that easily. There's just other factors to consider, again, like power consumption and heat - is it worth it to use 100w+ more electricity and put out more heat with a 6990 to gain MAYBE 2FPS better than a 680? The minimum FPS is actually better on the 680 as well..
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top