Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys once again...
I have got my CPU running with it's own box fan at 4.4 GHz....no problems so far....
thumb.gif
smile.gif

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
4 X 4 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133
2 X HIS HD 7750 Radeon 1 GB DDR5 Crossfire
2 X Kingston HyperX Raid 0 Array.
2 X 1TB Seagate Barracuda Raid 0 Array
Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card ( I do recordings)
PSU OCZ 700 Watt
Window 7 (64 bit)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eo888 View Post

Hi guys once again...
I have got my CPU running with it's own box fan at 4.4 GHz....no problems so far....
thumb.gif
smile.gif

ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
PSU OCZ 700 Watt
Window 7 (64 bit)
Nice. What is your cpu voltage set at? Also, if your cpu/nb is set to auto you might want to set it to 1.25 or 1.3 because it has a habit to set itself way high like 1.45 while overclocking. Just my $.02.
Good luck and watch your temps.

• Rep+
Reactions: 8eo888

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Hi guys once again...
thumb.gif
smile.gif

ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
PSU OCZ 700 Watt
Window 7 (64 bit)
Quote:

Hi guys once again...
thumb.gif
smile.gif

ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
PSU OCZ 700 Watt
Window 7 (64 bit)
Hey guys,
It's been a while but I was a bit busy. So I played with my CPU trying to get to max speed but I had crashes while playing heavy games after a long period. Running Prime95 ...I still don't understand how it works...Reading all about on the forums I came to the thought of playing with FSB instead and I got it to work stable at 4.510 GHz. My temperatures have never gone more than 55 C but it usually runs around 30-45 C. When idle I have seen it go to 0 C and believe me I don't really believe that Core Temp is giving me the actual Temperature but close. I just need some more help on voltages and RAM Voltages as well. I believe I can get it up to 4.8 if not 5 GHz. I was able to use 1 step above stock voltage and get it running but as soon as I stressed it , PC Crashed. Temperatures never been above 55 C after I changed thermal paste to TX-4. I didn't believe it in the Overclock Geeks Article but when I tried it, my temperatures dropped 10-15 C from initial arctic silver I used.

I would appreciate any kind of help with NB Voltages and RAM too. Thank you in advance!

Current Voltage is 1.4875 on my cpu. Some people say I should disable my spread spectrum option

·
Registered
368 Posts
you are at the limit of what is safe for that board, going any higher will require a lot more voltage and will most likely end in magic smoke or simply vrm's will blow, for 8 core chip if you want to get into 4,7-5,2 range a board with good vrm design(8+2 phases) is a must, your voltage seems quite high for just 4,5ghz, is it the stock cooler aswell, if so don't try going any higher, when you reach 4,7 ghz mark you'll need one of the big air tower coolers like nhd 14/15 or a good water cooler/custom loop. as for temp readings amd don't have any actual sensor on those chip, they use elaborate algorithms to calculate temps depending on load and frequency, at low temps it is very inaccurate but as the temps get higher it gets more accurate.
Main things to do is leave nb/ht/ram at stock,disable spread spectrum apm,cool and quite,c states etc clock your cpu and raise the core voltage to appropriate levels needed to be stable in stress testing, the way to go is set your target frequency and start raising volts by small increments until you are stable

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

I didn't believe it in the Overclock Geeks Article but when I tried it, my temperatures dropped 10-15 C from initial arctic silver I used.

I would appreciate any kind of help with NB Voltages and RAM too. Thank you in advance!

Current Voltage is 1.4875 on my cpu. Some people say I should disable my spread spectrum option
I don't believe it either. There have been all sorts of reviews showing a 2 C to 4 C difference between premium thermal interface materials.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantian View Post

you are at the limit of what is safe for that board, going any higher will require a lot more voltage and will most likely end in magic smoke or simply vrm's will blow, for 8 core chip if you want to get into 4,7-5,2 range a board with good vrm design(8+2 phases) is a must, your voltage seems quite high for just 4,5ghz, is it the stock cooler aswell, if so don't try going any higher, when you reach 4,7 ghz mark you'll need one of the big air tower coolers like nhd 14/15 or a good water cooler/custom loop. as for temp readings amd don't have any actual sensor on those chip, they use elaborate algorithms to calculate temps depending on load and frequency, at low temps it is very inaccurate but as the temps get higher it gets more accurate.
Main things to do is leave nb/ht/ram at stock,disable spread spectrum apm,cool and quite,c states etc clock your cpu and raise the core voltage to appropriate levels needed to be stable in stress testing, the way to go is set your target frequency and start raising volts by small increments until you are stable
Hey guys,
It's been a while but I was a bit busy. So I played with my CPU trying to get to max speed but I had crashes while playing heavy games after a long period. Running Prime95 ...I still don't understand how it works...Reading all about on the forums I came to the thought of playing with FSB instead and I got it to work stable at 4.510 GHz. My temperatures have never gone more than 55 C but it usually runs around 30-45 C. When idle I have seen it go to 0 C and believe me I don't really believe that Core Temp is giving me the actual Temperature but close. I just need some more help on voltages and RAM Voltages as well. I believe I can get it up to 4.8 if not 5 GHz. I was able to use 1 step above stock voltage and get it running but as soon as I stressed it , PC Crashed. Temperatures never been above 55 C after I changed thermal paste to TX-4. I didn't believe it in the Overclock Geeks Article but when I tried it, my temperatures dropped 10-15 C from initial arctic silver I used.

Quote:

Hi guys once again...
thumb.gif
smile.gif

ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
PSU OCZ 700 Watt
Window 7 (64 bit)
Thanks for the info! I am looking at my Mobo voltages and I do have more options to increase voltages, as long as I can keep my CPU power under 140W. Thats why I have started playing with FSB. Using 210 instead of 200 and multiplier x20.5 instead of 20, I get no increase in temperature and stable system. Right now I have it at 4510 running stable and only 1 step over voltage from the original 1.4725 to 1.4875v. I dont have a program to measure cpu power output. And I forgot I have added A corsair liquid cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts