Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

first of all, i know my system isnt the newest anymore, but we all have different priorities in life. ;) Since 6 years I am running an AMD 8350 on an Asus M5A97 2.0 and 32Gigs of kingston hyperX 1600 RAM. It ran at 4,6 Ghz overclocked by multiplier and CPU voltage fixed at about 1,3v so nothing severe. It has a well working MasterLiquid 240 AIO WC and temps under load are between 40 and 50 degrees, depending on climate.

Now recently i accidently resetted the BIOS to default settings and the photos I took when overclocking were on a phone that i also dont have anymore, so currently I need to OC from scratch to get back to where i was.

So, my current settings are: in CPU "advanced" settings everything set ot "off, Turbo Mode off, LLC set to "ultra high", CPU current capability set to 130%. voltage manual, everything set to "auto" except for CPU voltage. (all out of personal experience)

I am only able to get to 4,4 Ghz, beyond that, in a prime94 small fft test, core 4 always fails after some 5 minutes of running. Raising CPU voltage doesnt change anything regarding that. I tried from 1,28 to 1,35v CPU voltage, above that I started experiencing freezes or multiplier throttling while testing, so I guess more than 1,35v is too much for my MoBos VRMs. Intel Burn Test passes on "normal" though.

It would be nice if this rig could survive a few months longer so anyone has any idea what else to look for? Or is this chip finally on its way out?

edit: bios settings attached

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell if my motherboard didn't die randomly one day, I'd still be using the FX :)
Trust me, i play quite modern games on it and it ran like a charm with OC. 😁

I guess i can "nevermind" the previous post, since i think my problem is RAM slot related: i had 2x8 Gigs of kingston HX 1600 CL10 until a while ago i got an additional 2x8GB and inserted them. My mentioned OC config runs fine at 2x8 Gigs inserted into A1 and B1 slots.

The thing is: anything inserted into A2 or B2 is not properly detected, no matter if i use all four slots (BIOS shows 16GB), one in A1 and the other in A2 (BIOS shows 8GB) or both in A2 and B2 (system doesnt boot and RAM LED on).

If i try to use all four DIMMS:

- BIOS, on startup and in menu, shows only 16GB installed instead of 32 GB.

- BIOS "SPD menu" correctly shows all 4 x 8GB installed with correct CL10 timings also being shown. Same goes for "DRAM timing control"

- Windows 10 task manager shows 32 Gigs of RAM installed, but 16,1 Gigs "reserved for hardware", what? 🧐

- HWinfo64 also shows 32 GB installed and detected.

For troubleshooting I restored my overclock to stock settings. I think there is no use in trying again until this is solved.

I tried reseating all 4 DIMMs so far and can boot from every single one of them, as long as they are in the first two slots of my mothermoard. windows memory test (from the boot manager) also shows no issues. If I only insert 2 DIMMs in slots 3 and 4, the system wont boot. I tried cleaning them with a vacuum cleaner with no change. So i can rule out faulty RAM at this point, it has to be some setting in BIOS or Windows.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's always risky adding another memory kit that has not been tested to work together. However there is a setting in bios for all memory to be detected, but I cannot remember what it's called sadly. Initially I had 8GB at the time, then added another 4, so 12 total, but it wouldn't detect all of them. I had to enable a setting ... Argh why cant I remember what its called :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's always risky adding another memory kit that has not been tested to work together. However there is a setting in bios for all memory to be detected, but I cannot remember what it's called sadly. Initially I had 8GB at the time, then added another 4, so 12 total, but it wouldn't detect all of them. I had to enable a setting ... Argh why cant I remember what its called :(
Well, if i use my previous 2 DIMMs which worked fine together, and I plug one of them in A2 or B2 whie leaving the other one in A1 or B1 (which is actually recommended that way, before i had both in the first two, my bad), only one of them is being used too. Ill google more....

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,791 Posts
I don't know why anyone would continue to try and nurse that platform along. It's hot garbage on every level compared to modern day hardware. xD

·
Registered
441 Posts
I still have my FX-8350 on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board. So I maybe able to assist the OP.
First off, have you tried another version of p95? the devs of that app seem to be updating it quite frequently over the last several months now. I would check out that path for diagnostics first before fiddling in the bios cause' going by what you have posted, its seems you have knowledge of how to tweak on AM3+ platform anyway.
Atm, I'm using memory kit on my AM3+ system that is not on the QVL list for my board & it works perfectly, that is a 2000MHz kit which if other settings are left on auto in bios apart from adjusting primary timings & Vdimm, the cpu will automatically OC itself (4476MHz). I would also check if the HT & NB clocks are synchronised. I don't know about that particular model of Asus board you have but on my board it likes these clocks matched for stability with anything I throw at the system.

As far as tweaking the digipower options for cpu, I would suggest leaving them all on auto & with those above settings I posted for my system, it's rock solid stable.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I love the FX platform personally. In fact I still use it from time to time just to try to squeeze more performance out of it. With that said, I've personally used the M5A97 R2.0 and I can tell you it is nothing but a problem. Asus boards are rock solid, but that board + any FX CPU is just a bad time.

I would leave the CPU clock alone for now and focus on the ram. Downclock the ram to 1333mhz and set the CPU/NB clock to 2000mhz. See if all four sticks show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts