Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered the fastest system I have owned yet, which isn't hard as I still have a 780g motherboard and amd 9750. Here is a list of the system.

AMD 955 C3 stepping.
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO
Kingston 4x1gb ddr3 1333
Scythe 2100
Antec earthwatts 650
X Dreamer II case http://www.circotech.com/xiishtrwiteb.html with 6x80mm fans
Biostar 4670, which will be replaced with 5770 when I get the money.

The board, cpu, cooler, memory, power suppy, case are on their way. The case will likely arrive friday evening while the rest will arrive 3 days earlier on tuesday.

Any suggestions on how I should go about and overclock this system, I have never really overclocked before and would like a few tips cause I want to hit 4GHZ on air with this.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That mobo is rock solid for Overclocking. On the other hand If you aren't familiar with the BIOS and overclocking, I would suggest you use AMD Overdrive to get a feel of overclocking and then do some more research on BIOS Overclocking, like adjusting the FSB and voltage.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would suggest reading a guide first and then going for it right in the BIOS. You are getting a BE multiplier so all that you really have to worry about is the multi and CPU voltage (for the most part). Bump the multi up one step and run Prime95 to check for stability while monitoring temps.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the system arrived all at once, but for the case which will arrive friday or monday
So I will have to wait until that arrives to place it all in a case, but I put the memoru in, cpu, and the cooler without paste for a dry run. Wasn't too difficult, was actually easy now I need hope that this monster will fit into my case. I am guessing I will have to turn the window 180 to get the side fan away from this massive mugen 2 2100 cooler. Pics following. http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture002.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture001.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maelthras View Post
Well the system arrived all at once, but for the case which will arrive friday or monday
So I will have to wait until that arrives to place it all in a case, but I put the memoru in, cpu, and the cooler without paste for a dry run. Wasn't too difficult, was actually easy now I need hope that this monster will fit into my case. I am guessing I will have to turn the window 180 to get the side fan away from this massive mugen 2 2100 cooler. Pics following. http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture002.jpg
Since you have it already together ( put tim on ) why not fire it up on the kitchen table now and make sure everything is in working order. There is nothing more dishearting than putting a system together and hitting the power button and........nothing!
GL with the build!

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Did you just say you did not apply any thermal paste? If so that is a horrible thing to do and you need to shut it down now, you should never ever ever run a computer without thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu. that could very easily fry the cpu. As the thermal paste is needed to transfer the heat from the processor to the heatsink to disapeat the heat. And without it there is likely very little heat being moved to the heatsink and the cpu is likely above the thermal limit(62*C)

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maelthras
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlo
View Post

Did you just say you did not apply any thermal paste? If so that is a horrible thing to do and you need to shut it down now, you should never ever ever run a computer without thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu. that could very easily fry the cpu. As the thermal paste is needed to transfer the heat from the processor to the heatsink to disapeat the heat. And without it there is likely very little heat being moved to the heatsink and the cpu is likely above the thermal limit(62*C)

Im guessing this "dry run" does not involve any actual power to the components, in other words just test fitting, ???

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wermad
View Post

Im guessing this "dry run" does not involve any actual power to the components, in other words just test fitting, ???

That's at least what I understood, and hope i'm right on that point or else cpu=kaboom

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it was all fit testing, I just wanted to see how the cooler fit on the board instead when I get it slick with paste that I don't **** it up and have to get the alcohol and scrub the cpu and cooler base. I got my artic silver I lended to my brother, was some left so I put a dab on, had him hold it, screwed it down and viola. Fit like a glove, I was kinda suprised the screws are only half threaded so you can't over tighten and break something. It just barely fits over the memory.

The first thing I thought when I saw the mugen 2 box was. "Damn that is big, must be alot of stuff in there" Then I remembered someone mentioned it was nearly as big as the box. When I took it out I had to giggle, it's so freaking huge it looks a little ridiculous.

I talked to my friend that is buying my current system, he sold his xbox so he can pay me enough to get a video card, getting a powercolor 5770, an upgrade from 4670. That will probably arrive next week on wednesday, the case will arrive monday so I will put that together with the 4670 and do some speed testing after I get windows on it.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Oh okay, i thought you meant you actually booted the computer without thermal paste on the CPU... Okay your good.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to try slappa's guide, overclock the memory and get that at a stable oc, then work on the nb until thats got a stable oc then work my magic on the cpu. I may have to crank my window open and get my room cold to get the highest oc. I am fairly confident that I can pull off a stable 4ghz overclock with the cooling that I have. Though when I am done with the memory, nb, and the cpu I will work on ocing the 5770. Hopefully when I am done I can get some decent stable oc's.

Though I am thinking the memory will have the least headroom as it's just 4x1gb kvr's with no heat sinks.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright I am reopening this thread that I started a while ago. I have all the fans filled and controlled. 3 scythe 120 110cfm, one added to cpu for push pull, one bottom front and 1 top back. 2 rexus 80mm 48cfm for chimney and side panel. My feet are very cold and I am scared I may lose a finger. I think this means I am ready for insanity.
At stock idle temps are 30c, at load with prime95, 43c. It only gets about 1-2c cooler when fans are at 100% from 50%. Just when it turns red on the controller to turning the dial all the way.

I say if you are not overdoing it, you are not doing it right when it comes to computers.
Time for the overclock, I am going to push 4ghz right away with a vcore of 1.45, ram is stock at 99924, thought ht is at 2600mhz with a .1 voltage bump.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
I really wouldnt go for 4ghz right away, as normally its best to work into the overclock increasing by around 100-200Mhz each time until it is unstable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts