Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just burned out my main power supply last night. i have a suppliment one for my video cards. what do for just a board, cpu at 1.525 and a few 120mm fans... what is the cheapest i can get away with and still have a stable overclock. im going broke here with computer. lol.. just need it up an running. will a good likw 350-400 run it?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Without your GPU a 300-350 watt PSU would power your system just fine. My entire system doesn't even go over 250 watts with the monitor.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhandy65
View Post

will this run it u think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139008 ...its just cpu mobo and 4x120mm and 1 140mm

Yeah that'll work for just your CPU.

But you should really run CPU & GPU off one PSU.

Those suplimentary "GPU-PSU's" are absolute garbage. And the BFG PSU you had before probably was the same.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol.. i know it was trash, it lasted aobut 3 months, does it have any waranty u think, but the 5870 doesnt seem to draw that much, and the suppliement one i have is 30amp, so it seems to work well. i know that im better off just getting a modular 1000watt, but the 5870 kind of hit me hard in the wallet

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhandy65
View Post

lol.. i know it was trash, it lasted aobut 3 months, does it have any waranty u think, but the 5870 doesnt seem to draw that much, and the suppliement one i have is 30amp, so it seems to work well. i know that im better off just getting a modular 1000watt, but the 5870 kind of hit me hard in the wallet

Modular 1000watt is a waste. No setup's going to come close that that power draw.

And the BFG PSU does have a warranty.

A solid 500-550watt PSU is fine for your system. 600-650watts (depending on amperage) if you wanted to do Crossfire in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts