Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right currently i have an AMD 6000+ Oc'd, i'm wanting to upgrade to a 9950, from what i'm aware of my motherboard doesnt fully support quad core (AM2+) because the FSB of the board is too low or something.

also my ram is only pc2-6400, and i won't be upgrading my RAM yet.

what im asking for is your opinion of is it worth upgrading to quad core on my current setup (mobo and ram combo) or would you upgrade the ram first or mobo first.

also can you tell how to work it out? i know the 9950 has a FSB of 2000mhz which i think you divide by two...which means to fully take advantage of all the CPU you need a 1066mhz DDR2 ram (pc2-8500)

my motherboard only has an FSB of 1000Mhz, (2.0GT/s)

here's a link to my MOBO: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...de=MBA-ALNF6PV

here's a link to the CPU: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...=CPA-AP995GH-B

thanks in advance

ps. is there some kind of calculation to see how fast i'd be getting? to see if its actually a benefit over the 3.3x2 i have at the moment.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
There isnt a MOBO out that can match the quad core HT. The max most even really nice boards support 2600Mhz where the phenom is 4k.
But you should upgrade the mobo first IMO. I think eclipsecomputers stats are wrong according to newegg the hypertransport on the phenom 4000Mhz.
-P.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
There isnt a MOBO out that can match the quad core HT. The max most even really nice boards support 2600Mhz where the phenom is 4k.
But you should upgrade the mobo first IMO. I think eclipsecomputers stats are wrong according to newegg the hypertransport on the phenom 4000Mhz.
-P.
so if the FSB of the 9950 is 4000mhz what speed ram would you need to take full use out of the Cpu...ASSUMING the Motherboard could cope with the CPU.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zetec-ss
View Post

so if the FSB of the 9950 is 4000mhz what speed ram would you need to take full use out of the Cpu...ASSUMING the Motherboard could cope with the CPU.

1066MHz....that's the highest speed the Phenoms natively support.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zetec-ss
View Post

I don't think the RAM will prevent you from using your CPU to it's fullest extent.

Why would it?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I would stay away from that motherboard and rather consider the M3A32-MVP Deluxe or the M3A79-T Deluxe (Both from Asus). And yes upgrading from that antiquated configuration is worth it along with PC2-8500 (4GB) preferably Corsair , Mushkin and OCZ. This is all provided you wish to go the AMD upgrade path and not the Intel upgrade path.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Get the M3A79-T Deluxe over the M3A32-MVP Deluxe.

The first has the sb750, which allows Phenoms to overclock like crazy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
See my sig.

Make the jump to Asus and 9950 BE.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i'm guessing my RAM at PC2-6400 doesnt need upgrading then.

i've been looking at ASUS motherboards and other 790FX chipset boards.

i'm not really looking to spend more then £80 on the motherboard to be honest though, unless its really worth it.

so really im just looking for a motherboard that has HT Speed 3.0 and im ready for the 9950/9950 BE then yeh?

thanks again guys

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

i'm not really looking to spend more then £80 on the motherboard to be honest though, unless its really worth it.

so really im just looking for a motherboard that has HT Speed 3.0 and im ready for the 9950/9950 BE then yeh?

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. You will not regret spending that extra cash on this motherboard. I can understand it is difficult because you have set out a limit/budgeted the amount you can spend on a motherboard but this motherboard is definitely worth the cash and it is designed for overclocking with SB750. What better combination for an AMD based system than SB750, 790FX and 9950 BE (125W).

·
Banned
331 Posts
make sure your mobo supports teh required wattage the 9950 requires i don't remember what it requires but my friend couldn't get it cause it wasn't 125 which the mobo he wanted would do max

·
Registered
386 Posts
i just picked up a 125w 9950 BE, an asus m3n-ht mobo, and 4gb of ocz 1066. any pointers on this setup? im using an ocz gladiator max cooler, so temps should be a problem. i'll be installing everything in the next day or so and i cant wait to get to cranking 'er on up

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

i just picked up a 125w 9950 BE, an asus m3n-ht mobo, and 4gb of ocz 1066. any pointers on this setup? im using an ocz gladiator max cooler, so temps should be a problem. i'll be installing everything in the next day or so and i cant wait to get to cranking 'er on up

My pointer would be that you should have gone with SB600 or SB750 in a 790FX configuration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts