Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what you guys think is a better chip for gaming and media related stuff?

·
Banned
659 Posts
There both differnt chips; one is a APU and the other is a CPU. When it comes to just chip the a10 but when there is a dedicated graphics card involved then the 8150

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdeal3r View Post

There both differnt chips; one is a APU and the other is a CPU. When it comes to just chip the a10 but when there is a dedicated graphics card involved then the 8150
Ic, so is it worth going the route of the APU even with a dedicated video card? I mean the 6800k seems to run nice at 4.4 and upto 5Ghz on air. Kind of hard for me to push that on the FX-8150. Plus I was considering the power usage is by far less than my 8-core overall.

·
Banned
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

Ic, so is it worth going the route of the APU even with a dedicated video card? I mean the 6800k seems to run nice at 4.4 and upto 5Ghz on air. Kind of hard for me to push that on the FX-8150. Plus I was considering the power usage is by far less than my 8-core overall.
You would see better performance in 8150. Performance per watt the 8150 is still a better choice and depending on the graphics card you will see way better performance with 8150 and maybe in the future as next gen consoles will be able to utilize 8 cores.

APU is good is your looking for a low budget gaming PC.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Really for the price of a 8150 you could get the 8320 which clocks better and it has better performance then both. Newegg and amazon you can get them for cheap newegg.com right now has it for 159.99 and a 15 dollor off promo till 8/12/13 so it would be 144.99 plus tax so 8% would be around $155.52 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdeal3r View Post

You would see better performance in 8150. Performance per watt the 8150 is still a better choice and depending on the graphics card you will see way better performance with 8150 and maybe in the future as next gen consoles will be able to utilize 8 cores.

APU is good is your looking for a low budget gaming PC.
The 6800K uses newer, slightly tweaked architecture and even though it is missing l3 cache would perform right about on par in core performance than an FX-8150. Performance per watt is much better on the A10-6800K. But as Kahboom said, it would be better to go with an 8320 over both choices, or even a 6300 for a bit cheaper if you dont need a full 8 cores. The money saved could be put towards a better aftermarket heatsink.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

If you will use a dedicated videocard, get the Athlon 750K instead.
Its the same as 6800K except it doesnt have the igpu.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ic, Thanks guys, I guess I will keep my FX-8150 then until something a little more promising comes by.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
^^ I endorse that decision too.
The IC hardware in the APU are just useless in an actual box gaming rig. Very snappy fast but cannot compete with detail.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post

^^ I endorse that decision too.
The IC hardware in the APU are just useless in an actual box gaming rig. Very snappy fast but cannot compete with detail.
Makes sense, my wife wants an 8-core so I figure I grab that "GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard" and then grab the FX-8350 for my Sabertooth. That way everyone wins. XD Taker her FM1 move it as the media PC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts