Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't know much about APU and this is why I'm asking this question.
Is a 3870K good for a HTPC?

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Old Llano part. If you got one for free, it would suffice, otherwise, I'd be grabbing a Kaveri/Godavari piece.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Old Llano part. If you got one for free, it would suffice, otherwise, I'd be grabbing a Kaveri/Godavari piece.
Well I have an old FM1 mobo here and I can get a 3870K for about $60. I have everything except PSU and CPU to build it. So I thought $60 - $100 for a HTPC is not bad.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Not bad pricewise but keep in mind that's a 100w chip and those old stock coolers got loud.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Not bad pricewise but keep in mind that's a 100w chip and those old stock coolers got loud.
Well I was planning on wcing it, because I'm planning to redo my sig rig to a lan party rig. I have an AMD bracket for my waterblock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you could go with a dual core from the series and dedicated gpu and get your psu for prolly the same price, well if you buy some of it used, a4's are like $12

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell42 View Post

you could go with a dual core from the series and dedicated gpu and get your psu for prolly the same price, well if you buy some of it used, a4's are like $12
GPU is a bit slow - 160 shader cores of the VLIW5 variety - but it should be more than enough for the "T" part of "HTPC." Wouldn't be bad at all. That said, the platform is old and cheap enough that spending an extra $50 on the best APU available isn't completely stupid.
wink.gif
Add in a nice SFX PSU (you'd only need like 250W even if overclocked) and you'd have a good portable system.

Now, if the goal is to play games, then you'll be wanting Kaveri or, better, Godavari. Godavari uses the same silicon as Kaveri (I think) but the unlocked chips use fluxless solder rather than TIM. In other words, they're a bit easier to cool. Pair it with some fast DDR3 (try for DDR3-2400 at a minimum) and it should be, well, decent, I suppose. You'll want to downclock the CPU if it means you get a better GPU overclock. You're dealing with a DDR3 7750 and a Core2Quad in effect, so don't expect the greatest gaming rig of all time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ya 160 shader cores may not be enough, but that's why I said a dedicated gpu, according to the op he is on a tight budget maybe best to skip apu all together unless good ram is available to him, I've never had a 1st gen apu buy I would imagine my 2gens are better and for the price I put into ram I could have a dedicated gpu

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Quote:

GPU is a bit slow - 160 shader cores of the VLIW5 variety - but it should be more than enough for the "T" part of "HTPC." Wouldn't be bad at all. That said, the platform is old and cheap enough that spending an extra $50 on the best APU available isn't completely stupid.
wink.gif
Add in a nice SFX PSU (you'd only need like 250W even if overclocked) and you'd have a good portable system.

Now, if the goal is to play games, then you'll be wanting Kaveri or, better, Godavari. Godavari uses the same silicon as Kaveri (I think) but the unlocked chips use fluxless solder rather than TIM. In other words, they're a bit easier to cool. Pair it with some fast DDR3 (try for DDR3-2400 at a minimum) and it should be, well, decent, I suppose. You'll want to downclock the CPU if it means you get a better GPU overclock. You're dealing with a DDR3 7750 and a Core2Quad in effect, so don't expect the greatest gaming rig of all time.
Quote:

Ya 160 shader cores may not be enough, but that's why I said a dedicated gpu, according to the op he is on a tight budget maybe best to skip apu all together unless good ram is available to him, I've never had a 1st gen apu buy I would imagine my 2gens are better and for the price I put into ram I could have a dedicated gpu
Well for gaming. I'm building an i5 4670k lan party rig with 2 285 CF.
This rig is only for HTPC. So far it is going good. I haven't tried watching Blu-ray movies, but it netflex just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
It's basically a 3 GHz Athlon II X4, with 400 Terascale 2 shaders, and that should handle anything you throw at it. There are quite a few people running AM1 quad-core parts for their HTPC, and a 3870K is quite a bit stronger than those parts. Those are basically K8 CPU's running about 2 GHz, with a DDR3 memory controller bolted on, and only 128 shaders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts