Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking at getting a new CPU. I really don't want to go and get a quad core cpu.

I'm currently running "AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 5600" and I am thinking about moving to "AMD Athlonâ„¢ II X2 Dual-Core 250".

I understand the basic different, the 5600 run at 2.9 GHz withe the 250 runs at 3.0 GHZ. The 250 has more cache as well.

Now will I be making a bad move? How much faster will the CPU that I'm thinking of getting be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
You're looking at 15-20% faster clock for clock (IE: both being at 2.9ghz or 3.0ghz)

Though; the Athlon II will run cooler and require less juice to overclock the same or farther.

All in all; it's not a bad deal. And if you want to stay dual core that's fine. Most games out right now won't use a quad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you for the fast reply. The other thing I was meant to post in the first post, the motherboard. Is that going to make much of a different on how much speed I would gain? My motherboard is GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 2.0)

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
You're looking at 15-20% faster clock for clock (IE: both being at 2.9ghz or 3.0ghz)

Though; the Athlon II will run cooler and require less juice to overclock the same or farther.

All in all; it's not a bad deal. And if you want to stay dual core that's fine. Most games out right now won't use a quad.
This^

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well I say go with the tri core......
Its gonna run pretty cool at stock settings anyways...
Thats way you can make your upgrade last longer.
Also later if you upgrade your mobo you might unlock that extra core and have an up to date quad.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Go with the tri-core x3; there's a chance it will unlock into an x4

All x2's are native x2's so they don't unlock

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by singlecore2logical
View Post

The best bang for the buck buget/bargain cpu would be the Athlon II x3 440, 3 Cores at 3Ghz. Extra core for $12 more then the 250.

The extra core helps in cpu intensive games like Dragon Age Origins. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/119?vs=121 against the 255, but the 250 is just 100mhz slower.

I agree, a tri-core would be a better upgrade and is definitely worth the extra money over the Athlon II X2 250.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Go with the tri-core x3; there's a chance it will unlock into an x4

All x2's are native x2's so they don't unlock
Can't; his board is the DS3 model with SB600

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

Can't; his board is the DS3 model with SB600

I could be wrong, but on Gigabyte website it says:
1. North Bridge: AMD 770
2. South Bridge: AMD SB700

Link: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/...px?pid=2874#sp

So it could be possible for me unlock that extra core.

While I agree with you all about spending a little more and getting a 3 core CPU, I needed to stay on a budget and not go over it. When I first built my computer, I spent the most on the CPU, Motherboard, power supply, RAM and storage.

The graphic card that I was using (Nvidia 9500GT) was a rather cheap card, and I wanted to spend most of my budget on getting the best graphic card this time around.

In the end, I went and got the Athlon II x2 250, put a new AMD 5670 Based graphic card, and it run much better.

When I can get imageshack working, I will post a pic of my WEI score on wIndows 7.

Thank-you for all the advice everyone

·
Registered
117 Posts
Eh, the old Athlon X2's are pretty much surpassed by anything these days. I replaced a Brisbane with this current dual core and got a HUGE performance increase. That architecture is from 2005!

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CASEfan
View Post

Yeah, needs to be SB750, correct?

SB710, SB750, Certain nVidia boards with NVCC, and Certain AMD boards with Core Unlockers like those found in the AMD 8 Series boards from Gigabyte, ECS, Asus, Biostar, & many more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts