Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system is based on that CPU (full details are in my signature)

I'm posting a couple of questions below, which will further turn out to be guidelines for first time Overclockers and/or Unlockers using the X3 435 and similar setups.

1. I have stock CPU cooling (i.e. the fan that came along with my CPU), how far can I safely OC my Triple core processor without overheating?

2. I've read articles online (Ex: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-x3-435_9.html) Which talks about enabling ACC in the BIOS to unlock the potentially good 4th core turning your Rana 435 into a Deneb Phenom X4. If I do not OC my system and simply turn ACC on,

a. Do I still need aftermarket cooling for my CPU?

b. On stock core speeds (i.e. 2.93 Ghz) will having 4 cores slow down my system?

c. Can one revert back to the stable 3 core config if the 4th core is unstable (i.e. Windows doesn't boot up etc.) by just turning ACC back to disabled?

3. My motherboard came with a disc with Biostar software in it, and one utility is called T-Utility Overclock III. The preset overclocking options (i.e. named V3, v6, and V9) look pretty simple enough to click. It also comes with a testing function which I'm guessing is the MIT one. Is this software reliable? Should I go ahead and try it out on stock cooling? (please refer back to Q.1)

Thanks in advance
DemonSnake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DemonSnake
View Post

My system is based on that CPU (full details are in my signature)

I'm posting a couple of questions below, which will further turn out to be guidelines for first time Overclockers and/or Unlockers using the X3 435 and similar setups.

1. I have stock CPU cooling (i.e. the fan that came along with my CPU), how far can I safely OC my Triple core processor without overheating?

2. I've read articles online (Ex: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-x3-435_9.html) Which talks about enabling ACC in the BIOS to unlock the potentially good 4th core turning your Rana 435 into a Deneb Phenom X4. If I do not OC my system and simply turn ACC on,

a. Do I still need aftermarket cooling for my CPU?

b. On stock core speeds (i.e. 2.93 Ghz) will having 4 cores slow down my system?

c. Can one revert back to the stable 3 core config if the 4th core is unstable (i.e. Windows doesn't boot up etc.) by just turning ACC back to disabled?

3. My motherboard came with a disc with Biostar software in it, and one utility is called T-Utility Overclock III. The preset overclocking options (i.e. named V3, v6, and V9) look pretty simple enough to click. It also comes with a testing function which I'm guessing is the MIT one. Is this software reliable? Should I go ahead and try it out on stock cooling? (please refer back to Q.1)

Thanks in advance
DemonSnake

1. As long as load temp is kept below 55'c, i'm fine with that.

2. Core unloncking depends much on bios option, it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. some (old biostar bios) by enabling acc will do the trick, while some u have option to choose unleashed mode (asus), unlock core (msi) & ec firmware/hybrid acc (gigabyte if i remember correctly) in order to have the locked core(s) unlocked. sometime, u need to couple these options with acc for better results.

there are 2 types of rana/propus:
  • with real propus die (w/o any onboard L3 cache)
  • with deneb die (recognized as propus/rana with onboard L3 cache disabled)
one of the ways to determine which die you're having is to check the code on the IHS:

CADAC AD = Propus die
CADAC AC = Deneb die

imo, deneb die are better clocker than propus.

a. again it depends much on your load temp
b. a 'lil since core unlocking function uses older microcode, but negligible imo (unless you're talking bout spi where every second counts)
c. yes, core unlocking can be disabled anytime in bios

3. Bios oc ftw... however, AOD is good ways to save sometimes (in rebooting the whole system) when you need voltages to be adjusted on the fly.

hope these help...


btw, my x3 425 turn out to be a lemon, i'm having hard times getting it 3.6GHz prime stable with decent volt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_khoo View Post
1. As long as load temp is kept below 55'c, i'm fine with that.

2. Core unloncking depends much on bios option, it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. some (old biostar bios) by enabling acc will do the trick, while some u have option to choose unleashed mode (asus), unlock core (msi) & ec firmware/hybrid acc (gigabyte if i remember correctly) in order to have the locked core(s) unlocked. sometime, u need to couple these options with acc for better results.

there are 2 types of rana/propus:
  • with real propus die (w/o any onboard L3 cache)
  • with deneb die (recognized as propus/rana with onboard L3 cache disabled)
one of the ways to determine which die you're having is to check the code on the IHS:

CADAC AD = Propus die
CADAC AC = Deneb die

imo, deneb die are better clocker than propus.

a. again it depends much on your load temp
b. a 'lil since core unlocking function uses older microcode, but negligible imo (unless you're talking bout spi where every second counts)
c. yes, core unlocking can be disabled anytime in bios

3. Bios oc ftw... however, AOD is good ways to save sometimes (in rebooting the whole system) when you need voltages to be adjusted on the fly.

hope these help...


btw, my x3 425 turn out to be a lemon, i'm having hard times getting it 3.6GHz prime stable with decent volt...

Thanks again fella
Is it recommended that I unlock the cores after I attempt to unlock the 4th? Also, on my biostar TA790GX, the options under ACC are 'All cores' and 'Auto'. Both sound right to me, is there a difference if I choose either?

Second, in AOD, there's an 'enable ACC' option shown in red (requiring a restart. I can just do it there instead of going into BIOS

I should be getting my aftermarket cooler this weekend. I've already got a nice big 750W cooler master PSU so it gives me a lot of headroom for power.

In AOD if I just keep raising the HT ref clock from the default 200mhz by say 5 everytime, and running stability tests after each increment, that should suffice right? Again, from what I've read, I don't need to fiddle with voltages untill and above 3.5Ghz stable. And since my CPU isn't a BE, I just have the HT ref clock to raise and nothing else. However I read another tutorial that said I should decrease the multipliers from 14.5x to around 8 or 10x and then raise the HT ref. I keep raising the HT ref in 5 mhz increments untill I hit my stability limit and then I raise the multipliers up to 14.5x again slowly?

What say my friend?

PS: About your X3 425, what voltages are you running 3.6 Ghz at and what are your memory ratios?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DemonSnake
View Post

Thanks again fella
Is it recommended that I unlock the cores after I attempt to unlock the 4th? Also, on my biostar TA790GX, the options under ACC are 'All cores' and 'Auto'. Both sound right to me, is there a difference if I choose either?

Second, in AOD, there's an 'enable ACC' option shown in red (requiring a restart. I can just do it there instead of going into BIOS

I should be getting my aftermarket cooler this weekend. I've already got a nice big 750W cooler master PSU so it gives me a lot of headroom for power.

In AOD if I just keep raising the HT ref clock from the default 200mhz by say 5 everytime, and running stability tests after each increment, that should suffice right? Again, from what I've read, I don't need to fiddle with voltages untill and above 3.5Ghz stable. And since my CPU isn't a BE, I just have the HT ref clock to raise and nothing else. However I read another tutorial that said I should decrease the multipliers from 14.5x to around 8 or 10x and then raise the HT ref. I keep raising the HT ref in 5 mhz increments untill I hit my stability limit and then I raise the multipliers up to 14.5x again slowly?

What say my friend?

PS: About your X3 425, what voltages are you running 3.6 Ghz at and what are your memory ratios?




auto = +2% to all core iirc


can't really advise on what value to put, but from my past experience with deneb, each core worked best as diff core likes certain acc value. those i used commonly are -2, -4, -12, 0, +2, +4 & +12, others didn't really work well. i found that propus core (& regor) doesn't really like acc, i've tried with mine (x3 425) & the result was somehow disappointing. @ stock (2.7GHz), i managed to boot into windows but programs like spybot s&d & ccc (ati) crashes here & there. it could be d case of bad core but if it can make it into windows w/o bsod, that particular core should be usable imo.


yeah, you can enable acc using aod, but you need a restart for it to be effective.


for locked chip, raising htt is the only way for higher oc mileage. you can start with lowering cpu multi as what mentioned, the purpose is to determine what is the max htt ya chip capable of. basically there are 3 parts of oc involved in athlon II/deneb:
  1. cpu - for locked chip, raising htt is the only way, like wise, you can just raise cpu multi for be chips
  2. ram - max freq can be found either using high divider like ddr3 1600 with lite htt oc or lower divider like ddr3 1066/1333 with moderate~high htt oc
  3. nb freq - Frequency of IMC, its value equals to cpu-nb multi x htt
you can always start with any by eliminating the instability caused by the other 2. say if you are to find out max ram frequency, try to use lower cpu & cpu-nb mutli while you crank up htt value. do one at a time then note down the max value for each, after you've done with all, try to find the sweet spot for all. finally, it's all about voltage tweaking + tightening of ram timing. amd favors tight timing @ moderate freq rather than loose timing @ high frequency.


as for my 425, i'm takin a step back & start from lower clock, so far this is my best, it's kinda disappointing but hopefully i can do better in thse few days...


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ah_khoo
View Post

auto = +2% to all core iirc


can't really advise on what value to put, but from my past experience with deneb, each core worked best as diff core likes certain acc value. those i used commonly are -2, -4, -12, 0, +2, +4 & +12, others didn't really work well. i found that propus core (& regor) doesn't really like acc, i've tried with mine (x3 425) & the result was somehow disappointing. @ stock (2.7GHz), i managed to boot into windows but programs like spybot s&d & ccc (ati) crashes here & there. it could be d case of bad core but if it can make it into windows w/o bsod, that particular core should be usable imo.


yeah, you can enable acc using aod, but you need a restart for it to be effective.


for locked chip, raising htt is the only way for higher oc mileage. you can start with lowering cpu multi as what mentioned, the purpose is to determine what is the max htt ya chip capable of. basically there are 3 parts of oc involved in athlon II/deneb:
  1. cpu - for locked chip, raising htt is the only way, like wise, you can just raise cpu multi for be chips
  2. ram - max freq can be found either using high divider like ddr3 1600 with lite htt oc or lower divider like ddr3 1066/1333 with moderate~high htt oc
  3. nb freq - Frequency of IMC, its value equals to cpu-nb multi x htt
you can always start with any by eliminating the instability caused by the other 2. say if you are to find out max ram frequency, try to use lower cpu & cpu-nb mutli while you crank up htt value. do one at a time then note down the max value for each, after you've done with all, try to find the sweet spot for all. finally, it's all about voltage tweaking + tightening of ram timing. amd favors tight timing @ moderate freq rather than loose timing @ high frequency.


as for my 425, i'm takin a step back & start from lower clock, so far this is my best, it's kinda disappointing but hopefully i can do better in thse few days...




yo unker
.
need more time to play with the 425 be4 the trade?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top