Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this thing is running at 51C (123F) according to CPUID Hardware monitor.

The performance is being CRAPPY right now... things seem to EASILY consume the whole processor right now. Never seemed to before.

So a friend on MSN asked about how hot it's getting when I told him. I know how hot now, but I just don't have a clue if this temp is good or bad on this processor. I only know of newer ones these days.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
idle temps dont mean much. However 51 on dle means BSOD for sure during full load...

I would try reseating the HSF and then apply some AS5. That should help some. And Maybe using speedfan and bump up the RPM on the fan

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
55-65*C is the safe range of those chips (if you aren't overclocking). Lower the better, but if you're loading at around 50*C you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
55-65*C is the safe range of those chips (if you aren't overclocking). Lower the better, but if you're loading at around 50*C you should be fine.
even when overclocking, the temps should never go above 62

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only loads that shoot up are going from one page to the other in FireFox right now, but nothing constant.

I just find it odd because my Intel Atom netbook doesn't have this kind of problem with loads on programs like firefox or AVG.

It drives up to the point in making music studder on here, if that tells anyone anything. I run 1GB RAM, Windows XP SP2, and have a ATI AIW 9600 as a GPU right now.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
it's an issue with the athlon socket a's. I'm running a athlon 1500+ socket a right now, and my temps are 47C just doing web browsing. You are in a safe range. I had to buy a new heatsink and fan last year due to this thing reaching 90c and shutting down. put the new HSF in and a new case fan, and it hasn't gone above 55c. If anything, remove the hsf and clean the old thermal paste off and put some AS5 on there. I did, and am satisfied. the old thermal past was harder than a rock and clumped.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, even when AVG resident shield skyrocketed the usage... but I went ahead and rebooted the whole machine. (I had it off over night.)

Using FireFox 3.0.15.

It still drives up the CPU usage, but the music isn't studdering now from it. Though is it natural for FF to drive it up? I know AVG's reason, because everytime I open a file it scans it.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6
View Post

even when overclocking, the temps should never go above 62

For those old chips it's fine. They are rated at 85*C if I remember correctly, but you wouldn't want it to hit 70*C anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodcom
View Post

Well, even when AVG resident shield skyrocketed the usage... but I went ahead and rebooted the whole machine. (I had it off over night.)

Using FireFox 3.0.15.

It still drives up the CPU usage, but the music isn't studdering now from it. Though is it natural for FF to drive it up? I know AVG's reason, because everytime I open a file it scans it.

How old is the computer? What OS is it running? Did this behavior start recently or is it an old issue that has gotten worse?

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by btwalter
View Post

it's an issue with the athlon socket a's. I'm running a athlon 1500+ socket a right now, and my temps are 47C just doing web browsing. You are in a safe range. I had to buy a new heatsink and fan last year due to this thing reaching 90c and shutting down. put the new HSF in and a new case fan, and it hasn't gone above 55c. If anything, remove the hsf and clean the old thermal paste off and put some AS5 on there. I did, and am satisfied. the old thermal past was harder than a rock and clumped.

My old phenom 9950 used to shoot sometimes maybe to 45-47 when opening FF or Everest utility but then immediately drop down to 37-38. Its not a socket issue. The CPU is just under load when using applications like firefox.

If using FF causes issues, I read one guy got rid of it by disabling java and restarting FF

you should tell your friend to try that.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
View Post

For those old chips it's fine. They are rated at 85*C if I remember correctly, but you wouldn't want it to hit 70*C anyway.

How old is the computer? What OS is it running? Did this behavior start recently or is it an old issue that has gotten worse?

My mistake. Older Athlon chips do have a higher thermal limit

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

My old phenom 9950 used to shoot sometimes maybe to 45-47 when opening FF or Everest utility but then immediately drop down to 37-38. Its not a socket issue. The CPU is just under load when using applications like firefox.

If using FF causes issues, I read one guy got rid of it by disabling java and restarting FF

you should tell your friend to try that.

Oh I'm sorry, I must have written the original post a little confusing. I mean that my friend on MSN asked me how hot my CPU was getting when I told him of my problem.

Honestly, I never watched the CPU usage until recently. Though Java does kind of use some too when used, but nothing to the point of freezing, just a few seconds of wait sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
View Post

Ooh, okay, but I may want to upgrade the CPU cooling anyways. I never overclocked it either, I don't even know how. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by btwalter
View Post

yeah, my FF does it as well, takes a good 20-30 seconds to fully open. im kinda used to it, or I just use my laptop which has a C2D and I dont have the issue.

It's not that bad on here, but it seems to not cause any studdering any music now since I rebooted it. Guess an issue with something else there?

Quote:

View Post

My mistake. Older Athlon chips do have a higher thermal limit

Some reason I had in mind the older chips didn't handle as much. Guess I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodcom
View Post

Some reason I had in mind the older chips didn't handle as much. Guess I was wrong.

They were built on a bigger process (130nm), which meant higher voltage and temperature tolerances. I still got my old Thoroughbred at 1.85V

1 - 14 of 14 Posts