Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
PC gamers can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst™ driver for their ATI Radeon™ graphics card directly from within Steam! Gamers using ATI graphics will not only be kept posted on the latest available drivers for their hardware, but with every update they'll know that they're getting the overall best possible gaming experience AMD and Valve can provide.
Source

Sounds like a good idea
Not sure if this should go under hardware news, but I'm pretty sure it applies to software more :\\

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
I hope they don't plan on auto installing these as its far better to do a full driver cleanup in safemode on every upgrade.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
saves me some time and effort... as long as they dont auto-update/require the latest drivers

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wouldnt that be something. As mentioned above though, if it doesnt do a feel clean of the drivers(which it never does) then we'll prolly see performance hits over a course of time.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Chimera View Post
It doesn't matter if the drivers are still crap, imo.
Way to rain on the parade.

On another note, yes the drivers are a PITA for people running >1 card.

For people with 1 card.. No problems at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post

Well said, about both things

I've got one card and the drivers never hassle me..
Also, love the new steam feature!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1keith1 View Post
Good idea in theory; too bad it seems like 2 out of 3 drivers put out by ATI suck.
:/ I wish ATI drivers were good, that was the only thing holding me back from going ATI a while ago.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
:/ I wish ATI drivers were good, that was the only thing holding me back from going ATI a while ago.
Yea, not to derail the thread but I am on the way to Nvidia soon. I feel like Nvidia might offer simplistic support I am looking for and maybe a higher success rate with drivers. Just the little issues like underscan being forced when using HDMI, conflicts between ati drivers and afterburner, and Having issues with dual monitors. These all kind of take away from me wanting to use ATI. Who knows maybe I'll decide Nvidia is better for me.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I love steam and I like ATI drivers, but I don't need steam to be telling me about the new drivers.
Still annoys me tho that people love to bash ATI drivers without reason. Almost all issues with drivers for both ATI and Nvidia are user error. There are the multi-gpu problems but that's expected because the games have to be able to use the extra power.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Apparently I've been playing AMD driver update on steam for the last 12 hours.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo
View Post

Apparently I've been playing AMD driver update on steam for the last 12 hours.

Same here. Cancelled the download midway, considering most ATI drivers are crap for crossfire users like me.
I'll wait the playing game until I get positive results for crossfire performance for every driver release.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

...PEBKAC much? My HD4890 CFX was fine..Until my PSU blew up.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

I hope they don't plan on auto installing these as its far better to do a full driver cleanup in safemode on every upgrade.

While I agree about not requiring latest drivers/forcing updates, I don't agree that you need a safemode driver cleanup to properly reinstall. I run Driver Cleaner in normal mode all the time and haven't had driver issues from either side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12
View Post

saves me some time and effort... as long as they dont auto-update/require the latest drivers

Yes, quite. I like my 195.75's and I plan on keeping them there, but I would love to be able to get new ones through Steam if I wanted to. Or even download the old ones after a reinstall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Chimera
View Post

It doesn't matter if the drivers are still crap, imo.

First fanboy post 5 posts in. New record I think.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

for ATi drivers it isn't.

Several people I know on this forum, started having problems with their OS (and gfx card for that matter) after using cleaners to reinstall ATi drivers. Ever since those people, me included, no longer used any kind of cleaning tool and just reinstalled them right over the old drivers, zero, nada, zilch problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts